PPG provides world-class protective coating solutions for superstructures and valuable assets in the world’s most challenging and demanding environments. Their market-leading portfolio of comprehensive, proven and robust range of products has a legacy of established performance and reliability across industries in harsh, aggressive and hazardous atmospheric, exposed, immersed and sub-sea conditions.
- Oil, Gas & Chemical
- Product Overview
Many industries and sectors benefit from PPG’s protection coatings:
- Water/Wastewater facilities
- Commercial Buildings
- Cellulosic fire protection
PPG and Wembley Stadium, London
Reconstruction of England’s national football stadium took 5 years, from 2002 to 2007, opening to become the 2nd largest stadium in Europe with a capacity of 90,000 (105,000 combined seating and standing), and required an extremely durable coating system with anticorrosive protection for every shape and size of steel component on the iconic steel arch.
A combination was applied for anticorrosive protection:
- Dry Dock
- Inland Marine
- Sea Stock
- Cargo hold coatings
- Anti-fouling and fouling-release
- Water ballast tanks
PPG and Caspian Offshore Construction, Kazakhstan
This marine offshore support service company had trouble with their existing maintenance routine, requiring hot twin-feed spray pumps that are hard to find in their region of operation.
PPG SigmaShield 1200 was provided to protect the underwater hulls of 4 icebreakers from the impact of ice, with its excellent anti-abrasion properties and epoxy technology greatly increasing the creep resistance, and could be applied simply by cold, single-feed airless spray equipment.
PPG has an extensive track record and case histories in Africa, Asia Pacific, the Americas and Europe, with long-term collaborations in countries with considerable mining operations such as Canada, Russia, South Africa, Australia and Peru.
PPG in Nantong, China
Located along the Yangtze River, north of Shanghai, the ZPMC Nantong facility is the world’s largest heavy-duty equipment manufacturer, yielding 15,000 tons of steel each month to manufacture conventional port machinery products, large steel bridges, gantry cranes, marine floating cranes, and ship fittings.
PPG SigmaShield 880 was applied to a steel structure support for its excellent corrosion and seawater resistance, proving its ease of application and fast-drying properties – dry-to-handle in just 6 hours and fully cured after 20 hours – for a fast transition on to the next project.
Oil, Gas & Chemical
- Chemical and petrochemical
PPG at North Taranaki, New Zealand
The only methanol manufacturer in New Zealand required refurbishment of its distillation columns, showing significant corrosion to its existing 26-year old inorganic zinc silicate.
PPG Hi-Temp 1027 not only provided corrosion protection under insulation (CUI), but also prevented the plant from shutting down as it could be applied directly to the hot substrate (up to 316°C (600°F)) without any downtime, saving the business from costly disruption.
- Fossil power
- High temperature resistance
PPG at Utgrunden Offshore Wind Farm, Denmark
One of Europe’s largest generators of renewable energy required protective coatings on the foundations, platforms and wind towers of its seven wind turbines, each with a capacity of 1,425 kW. The wind farm faced great risks of abrasion and impact damage from marine fouling, breaking waves, and strong winds with aggressive and sudden storms.
The below coatings provided the wind farm with proven abrasion, corrosion, seawater and impact resistance, particularly in challenging offshore environments, coating the submerged monopile foundations, splash zones and towers with no coating breakdown after more than 16 years in service.
- SigmaDur 520
- SigmaShield 420
- SigmaShield 460
- SigmaZinc 102
- Hopper car linings
- Tank car linings
- Rail car exterior coatings
Products from PPG have been used around the world in new builds and on maintenance projects, including those mentioned above and more below:
- Port of Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
- Résidence Palace, Brussels, Belgium
- Atocha Railway Station, Madrid, Spain
- Stena Line Transporter
- Tylstrup Onshore Wind Farm
- Changshan Thermoelectric Plant
Although coatings form a relatively small part of an investment, they are a significant factor in subsequent asset protection; they help to:
- Reduce operational outgoings and lower ongoing maintenance costs
- Prolonging life by making equipment last longer and work better
- Increase efficiency and productivity
- Deliver substantial environmental and economic benefits
Many of PPG’s coatings have been tested by third-party authorities according to the latest industry standards and are compliant to NORSOK M-501, ISO 20340 and ISO 12944.
The PPG range includes topcoats, buildcoats, primers, sealers and thinners available in MIO (Micaceous Iron Oxide) or conventional pigmented grade from over 350+ colours from RAL and BS.
Below is a pick of PPG products, selected for their range of colours and comphrensive protection:
Hot water and hot oil storage up to 90°C (195°F)
- Excellent resistance to alcohols, fats, solvents and various other chemicals
SigmaCover 2 (also known as Amerlock 2)
A bulk rail lining and DTM exterior coating for carbon steel, concrete, masonry, galvanised steel, non-ferrous metal and stainless steel.
- Good chemical resistance (splash and spillage) and low-temperature curing down to 0°C (32°F)
- Available in over 350 RAL and BS colours
Numerous qualifications, including:
- NORSOK M501 Rev. 5, System 7 Subsea surfaces
- Compliant with USDA Incidental Food Contact Requirements
- NFPA Class A for Flame Spread and Smoke Development
- Qualified for ANSI/NSF Standard 61 (potable water). For NSF application instructions, please visit the NSF website.
- AWWA D102-06 ICS #1, #2, #3, #5
- Nuclear Service Level 2 (ANSI N 5.12 and ASTM D5144)
- LEED’s compliant for Anti-corrosive Paint category
For heavy H2S wastewater environments
- Unleaded fuel tanks, particularly in aviation, with good chemical & solvent resistance, especially to crude oil up to 120°C (250°F)
- Meets requirements of EI 1541 2.2 (coating systems for aviation fuel storage tanks and pipes) & NSF/ANSI Standard 61 for potable water
An epoxy primer/sealer/coating with excellent adhesion to, and sealing of, weathered, cleaned, zinc-rich primers and metal-sprayed steel, with good adhesion to properly pre-treated galvanized steel.
- Prevents Corrosion Under Insulation (CUI)
- Pass cryogenic cyclic test from -196°C (-321°F) to 140°C (284°F)
- Resistant to temperatures up to 200°C (390°F) in dry atmospheric exposure conditions
Used for storage of unleaded gasolines blended up to 100% ethanol (E5 up to E100), biodiesels (EN14214) & crude oil up to 120°C (250°F).
- Meets the requirements of EI 1541 2.2 (for aviation fuel storage tanks & pipes).
Resistant to splash of mineral and vegetable oils, paraffins, aliphatic petroleum products and mild chemicals.
- Available in 350+ RAL & BS colours
- Can be recoated even after long atmospheric exposure
- Excellent resistance to atmospheric exposure conditions
- Cures at temperatures down to -5°C (23°F).
- Can be recoated even after long atmospheric exposure
SigmaGuard CSF 650
A tank coating for crude oil/ballast and aliphatic petroleum products
- Suitable for storage and transportation of drinking water
- One-coat protection for steel structures, ships and storage tank
- Excellent corrosion resistance
SigmaRite 37 G-1
Temperature indication paint for indicating potential dangerous hot spots on steel, changing colour for easy identification.
- Maintains its deep green colour up to 260°C (500°F)
- Fades after 3 weeks at 280°C (536°F)
- Shows perceptible colour change after 18 hours at 315°C (599°F)
- Changes to white in 3 hours at 400°C (752°F)
See the full PPG range at Rawlins Paints and apply for a trade account today – our sales team can answer your questions and discuss your requirements for projects on 01132455450 or [email protected]