Jotun Jota Armour is a three component, abrasion resistant, polyamine cured epoxy coating specially designed as an anti-skid coating. Suitable for approved primers or directly on concrete substrates - such as helidecks, walkways, ramps, weigh bridge decks, decks in general where abrasion resistance and non-slip properties are required.
Smartkote Protectakote is a single component, ready-to-use, anti-slip coating with polyurethane performance for ultimate toughness. The course profile textured surface is ideal for interior floors, factory work-stations, walkways, stairs, ramps, vehicles and other areas where a flexible, durable and long lasting anti-slip surface is important.
Smartkote Protectakote is a single component, ready-to-use, anti-slip coating with polyurethane performance for ultimate toughness. The course profile textured surface is ideal for interior floors, factory work-stations, walkways, stairs, ramps, vehicles and other areas where a flexible, durable and long lasting anti-slip surface is important. Protectakote is ready-to use, easy to apply by brush or roller and is available in a variety of colours.
for exterior areas see Smartkote Protectakote UVR.
Features & Benefits
- Can be applied to: metal, concrete, wood, fibre-glass, PVC, rubber, glazed tiles and previously painted surfaces.
- Single component – ready to use direct from can.
- Easy to apply – no skilled labour required.
- Fast drying - Drying time can be accelerated if necessary.
- Polyurethane performance – ultimate toughness.
- Course rubber crumb texture.
- Flexible – won’t chip, flake or peel even at low temperatures.
- Excellent resistance to abrasion, chemicals and solvents.
- Weather resistant.
- Prevents rust and corrosion.
- Excellent capacity to repel water.
- High adhesion to most surfaces including metal, concrete, wood, fibreglass, PVC and rubber.
- Can be overcoated and easily repaired.
- Will not taint water or food once cured.
- Lead & heavy metal free.
- Industrial and commercial floors.
- Walkways, stair edges and bridges.
- Wheelchair access ramps, emergency exits, fire escapes and around machinery.
- Can be used as an automotive coating to protect load beds, tail lifts, chassis and wheel-arches of 4x4’s, trucks, commercial vehicles and trailers.
Protectakote is suitable for interior and exterior use, however for extended life in extreme outdoor conditions Smartkote Protectakote UVR is recommended.
Surface Preparation & Priming
Ensure all substrates are thoroughly dry, clean, sound and free from any contaminants such as dirt, rust, salt, algae and grease. Protectakote exhibits good adhesion to most primers. All non-porous substrates with the exception of painted surfaces require a primer. Substrates differ significantly, and so all new applications should be tested for adhesion first.
- Steel: Abrade surface lightly and remove any surface rust or mill scale by sanding, wire brushing, with a chipping hammer or sandblasting. Prime with Smartkote Protectakote 2K Metal Primer as per instructions, within 30 minutes.
- Galvanized Iron: Clean away grease and dirt with a suitable galvanized iron cleaner until a water break-free surface is attained. Rinse well with water and allow to dry. Abrade to provide a key and prime with Smartkote Protectakote 2K Metal Primer the same day as the surface was prepared to avoid re-contamination and flash rust.
- Aluminium: Abrade to fresh metal, clean well using detergent. Prime with Smartkote Protectakote 2K Metal Primer as per instructions within 30 minutes.
- Concrete: Allow new concrete at least 28 days to cure. Non-porous cement must be acid-etched, rinsed well and dried. Prime with Duram Duraprime as per instructions if weak, damp or oil contaminated.
- Wood: Abrade, clean and allow to completely dry before applying Protectakote directly. Dilute the first coat with 10% Xylene to aid penetration.
- Fibre-glass: Abrade well, solvent wipe with Xylene and apply Protectakote directly onto the surface.
- PVC: Abrade and clean well using Xylene. Allow to dry before applying Protectakote directly. An adhesion test is recommended prior to use.
- Rubber (nitrile or chloroprene): Clean well using detergent or cleaning solvent such as Xylene. Allow to dry. An adhesion test is recommended prior to use.
- Glazed tiles: Glazed tiles must be cleaned and treated with an organosilane primer eg. Smartkote Protectakote Clear Primer Treatment for adhesion of Protectakote.
- Gloss Paints and Varnish: Abrade with a scouring pad or medium grit sandpaper to remove all gloss. Solvent wipe with Xylene, allow to dry and apply Protectakote directly.
- Motor Vehicles and Painted Metal: Remove heavy dirt and rust. Previously painted surfaces need to be lightly abraded using a scouring pad or medium grit sandpaper to remove all gloss. Solvent wipe, allow to dry and apply Protectakote directly.
- Take care when opening as contents may be under pressure.
- Wear safety goggles and protective gloves.
- After substrates have been prepared, ensure they are completely dry, tests for adhesion have been completed and areas not to be coated have been masked off.
- Stir well before use using a flat paddle.
- Always apply a test patch of Protectakote to ensure the substrate has been properly prepared and primed. Check adhesion of the coating by cutting a small X in the coating using a utility knife. Firmly apply a piece of packaging tape over the centre of the X cut, then pull off with a fast snap. The adhesion is suitable if no significant coating is removed beyond the X cut. If the coating fails this test, then additional surface preparation is required – repeat the surface preparation steps above.
- Brush-on: Protectakote should be “laid” onto the surface with a brush (do not brush backwards and forwards as with an enamel paint). Two coats will result in a final dry film thickness of 0,6mm to 0,8mm. Second or subsequent coats should be applied at right angles to the previous coat. Intercoat time is approximately 2 hours, or when touch dry, depending on ambient conditions.
- Roller: If applied with a stipple roller, application is quicker and the final texture rougher with greater anti-slip characteristics. Follow same instructions as per Brush-on. Intercoat time is approximately 2 hours, or when touch dry, depending on ambient conditions.
- Curing time: Protectakote cures with atmospheric moisture. The coating will be touch dry in about 2 to 4 hours and allowing light traffic after 9 hours. Full strength and chemical resistance is achieved in 4 to 7 days, but normally the coating can be put to use after 24 hours.
- Accelerated cure: In areas of low atmospheric moisture, temperature or when shorter curing times are required, Smartkote Protectakote Accelerator can be added.
- Smartkote Protectakote Safety Grip is an additive for Protectakote non-slip coatings which provides improved grip under wet conditions. Protectakote Safety Grip comprises accurately sized sand particles with no dust, fines or aggregations. Can be added to Protectakote at a 20% (m/m) level where wet conditions will be experienced, or where additional non-slip properties are required.
- Overcoating and repair: Protectakote can easily be repaired or overcoated. The old surface should be well cleaned and then abraded by wire brush or sandpaper, and damaged surfaces must be cut out to provide an area without loose edges. Follow application instructions. If Protectakote is left for more than 24 hours after coating, it should be abraded before recoating to aid intercoat adhesion. If correctly applied, Protectakote provides a seamless repair.
Solvent and Cleaning
- Uncured Protectakote: Can be cleaned in its uncured state using a solvent such as Xylene.
- Cured Protectakote: Can be removed with MEK (Methyl Ethyl Ketone), paint stripper or by mechanical means.
- Remove any spills immediately as Protectakote is very difficult to remove once cured.
- Use hot soapy water to clean the cured coating.
- Please read all instructions carefully before starting the project.
- Proper surface preparation is critical for successful application of Protectakote.
- Do not mix with water, thinners or any solvent containing water or alcohol. Alcohol will prevent Protectakote from curing, while water will cause it to foam and cure in the can.
- Protect from moisture and do not expose to temperatures above 50ºC.
- All RAL colours shown for this product are approximations ONLY.
- RAL 6005 Moss Green may be subjected to extended lead times
- Other colours available to order subject to a minimum order of 200 litres - extended lead times apply.
It is your responsibility to read the Product Data Sheets (available below) before you place an order and prior to application of the product. The content of this website is our best recommendation and is not advice. Coverage rates quoted are approximate, you agree that coverage depends on the condition of the substrate, surface absorption, texture and application method. We ALWAYS recommend a trial area is coated to ensure the product meets your requirements before use.
- Brush, Roller
- 2m² per litre
- Touch Dry
- 2 Hours
|Lyn Manning on 31/07/2019|| |
Can this product be used on a galvanized pressed steel stair fire escape please?
Yes, clean away grease and dirt with a suitable galv cleaner until a water break-free surface is attained. Rinse well with water and allow to dry. Abrade to provide a key and prime with Smartkote Protectakote 2K Metal Primer the same day as the surface was prepared to avoid re-contamination and flash rust. If exterior, finish with Smartkote Protectakote UVR instead of Smartkote Protectakote to ensure UV stability/colour retention.
|Carol on 26/02/2019|| |
Hi, I have a wet room flooring down as was looking to paint over this Will this paint work. Regards Carol
It depends on what surface you intend to apply the product to but if it is a suitable substrate for the product (see product data sheet) we would instead suggest Smartkote Safekote as this has a finer textured surface more suitable for bare feet.
|Chris Jago on 08/01/2019|| |
Please can you confirm the following: - There is currently a degraded rubber mat type of floor covering on a concrete staircase that is over 50 years old. Once the existing materials have been cleaned off is a primer required? Is a single coat sufficient - this is for an internal rear staircase of a flat - so only light wear.
Once the rubber matt, adhesive, etc. has been removed - Bare Concrete: Allow new concrete at least 28 days to cure. Non-porous cement must be acid-etched, rinsed well and dried. Prime with Duram Duraprime as per instructions if weak, damp or oil contaminated.
Apply 2 coats of Smartkote Protectakote by brush or stipple roller at 2m² per litre/per coat. Giving an overall coverage of 1m² per litre. Intercoat time is approximately 2 hours, or when touch dry, depending on ambient conditions.
Always apply a test patch of Protectakote to ensure the substrate has been properly prepared and primed. Check adhesion of the coating by cutting a small X in the coating using a utility knife. Firmly apply a piece of packaging tape over the centre of the X cut, then pull off with a fast snap. The adhesion is suitable if no significant coating is removed beyond the X cut. If the coating fails this test, then additional surface preparation is required – repeat the surface preparation steps above.
Coo-Var Anti-Slip Acrylic Floor Paint is used to provide a durable and hard-wearing surface with an anti-slip finish. ADVANTAGES Internal/external use Low odour Fast drying Water-based 68 PTV rating in dry 58 PTV rating in wet
Anti-slip marine coating specially made for the decks of sea faring vessels which is a ready mixed, aggregated coating which provides a rough anti-slip finish when dry to provide extra protection for crew-members while traversing the deck of a boat in motion or vessel in rough seas.
Jotun Jota Armour WG is a Winter Grade version of the standard Jota Armour to allow faster curing in lower temperatures. It is a three component, abrasion resistant, polyamine cured epoxy coating specially designed as an anti-skid coating. Suitable for approved primers or directly on concrete substrates.
Remmers PUR Grip 100 is a solvent free, flexible, three component, fast cure anti-skid system used as an anti-skid system onto various surfaces. It offers a degree of flexibility and can be used inside and out. Ideal for metal bridge decks, loading bays, pedestrian walkways, ramps and car parks, footpaths, roads and pavements, driveways,...
Blackfriar Anti-Slip Deck Coating allows the beauty of wood and timber decking to show through. ADVANTAGES Provides a slip-resistant surface in wet conditions Clear, low sheen finish Ideal for foot traffic Can be applied over new or existing decking stains or bare timber Micro-aggregates give increased grip Excellent coverage
Sherwin-Williams Epidek M339 is a 3-pack epoxy high build anti-slip deck coating designed for spray application using suitable equipment as a high profile anti-slip deck paint. It may also be applied directly to suitable sound deck coatings.
Smartkote Protectakote WB Smooth is a water-based, smooth polyurethane coating. This water-based solvent-free formulation is weather resistant, has a low odour, and is non-flammable for both interior and exterior applications. It’s enhanced with polyurethane for ultimate toughness, with excellent resistance to abrasion, chemicals and solvents....
Nu-Base SP Floor Finish is a fast-drying floor paint for protecting flooring substrates from mild chemicals and solvents, whilst giving an excellent decorative appearance. Advantages Fast-drying Standard or non-slip versions Available in all RAL colours Interior and exterior use Fast-drying 12-month shelf life
502 HD Anti Slip Coating is applied by brush or roller in one thick, durable coat and it will provide a heavily textured finish incorporating an anti-slip aggregate which is dispersed within the material upon application. Each pack contains sufficient material to provide a slip resistant epoxy coating system to 5 square metres of surface.
506 Anti Slip Dressing is sold in 10m² packs with each contain a flexible binding resin and decorative aggregate to create a 'stone carpet' finish which gives the appearance of loose aggregate, but avoids maintenance problems. Primarily used on outdoor walkways and concourse areas but can also be used internally to reflect the natural beauty of the outdoors.
Smartkote Protectakote WB is a water-based anti-slip polyurethane coating. Its textured finish is ideal to create safe, anti-slip walkways, steps and ramps on light industrial and commercial floors, for both interior and exterior applications. This water-based solvent-free formulation is weather resistant, has a low odour, and is...
Ennis-Flint MMAXGRIP PRMX 65 is a MMA-based coating that was developed specifically for application to public main roads and side streets as well as other traffic zones. Its special properties make MMAXGRIP PRMX 65 particularly suitable for surfaces where coloured road markings are required on main roads and side streets in urban areas and elsewhere.
A one coat, hard wearing epoxy resin anti-slip coating for concrete, stone, metal and wood. Solvent-free and virtually odour-free, Rust-Oleum SuperGrip Treadsafe is finished with hard-wearing carborundum particles and will easily withstand heavy traffic including forklift trucks and harsh chemicals.
A fast drying Rust-Oleum spray paint containing a special anti-slip additive. It can be applied on metal, concrete, ceramic and wood surfaces making virtually any surface non-skid instantly, ideal for small maintenance jobs or for touch-up.
Coo-Var Suregrip Anti-Slip Floor Paint is a ready-mixed aggregated floor coating which provides a rough anti-slip finish to floors when dry. ADVANTAGES Durability Decoration Protection Interior/Exterior use Light truck traffic Available in 8 colours Can even be used as a high grip surface on climbing walls