Jotun Jota Armour is a three component, abrasion resistant, polyamine cured epoxy coating specially designed as an anti-skid coating. Suitable for approved primers or directly on concrete substrates - such as helidecks, walkways, ramps, weigh bridge decks, decks in general where abrasion resistance and non-slip properties are required.
Smartkote Protectakote is a single component, ready-to-use, anti-slip coating with polyurethane performance for ultimate toughness. The course profile textured surface is ideal for interior floors, factory work-stations, walkways, stairs, ramps, vehicles and other areas where a flexible, durable and long lasting anti-slip surface is important.
Smartkote Protectakote is a single component, ready-to-use, anti-slip coating with polyurethane performance for ultimate toughness. The course profile textured surface is ideal for interior floors, factory work-stations, walkways, stairs, ramps, vehicles and other areas where a flexible, durable and long lasting anti-slip surface is important. Protectakote is ready-to use, easy to apply by brush or roller and is available in a variety of colours.
for exterior areas see Smartkote Protectakote UVR.
Features & Benefits
- Can be applied to: metal, concrete, wood, fibre-glass, PVC, rubber, glazed tiles and previously painted surfaces.
- Single component – ready to use direct from can.
- Easy to apply – no skilled labour required.
- Fast drying - Drying time can be accelerated if necessary.
- Polyurethane performance – ultimate toughness.
- Course rubber crumb texture.
- Flexible – won’t chip, flake or peel even at low temperatures.
- Excellent resistance to abrasion, chemicals and solvents.
- Weather resistant.
- Prevents rust and corrosion.
- Excellent capacity to repel water.
- High adhesion to most surfaces including metal, concrete, wood, fibreglass, PVC and rubber.
- Can be overcoated and easily repaired.
- Will not taint water or food once cured.
- Lead & heavy metal free.
- Industrial and commercial floors.
- Walkways, stair edges and bridges.
- Wheelchair access ramps, emergency exits, fire escapes and around machinery.
- Can be used as an automotive coating to protect load beds, tail lifts, chassis and wheel-arches of 4x4’s, trucks, commercial vehicles and trailers.
Protectakote is suitable for interior and exterior use, however for extended life in extreme outdoor conditions Smartkote Protectakote UVR is recommended.
Surface Preparation & Priming
Ensure all substrates are thoroughly dry, clean, sound and free from any contaminants such as dirt, rust, salt, algae and grease. Protectakote exhibits good adhesion to most primers. All non-porous substrates with the exception of painted surfaces require a primer. Substrates differ significantly, and so all new applications should be tested for adhesion first.
- Steel: Abrade surface lightly and remove any surface rust or mill scale by sanding, wire brushing, with a chipping hammer or sandblasting. Prime with Smartkote Protectakote 2K Metal Primer as per instructions, within 30 minutes.
- Galvanized Iron: Clean away grease and dirt with a suitable galvanized iron cleaner until a water break-free surface is attained. Rinse well with water and allow to dry. Abrade to provide a key and prime with Smartkote Protectakote 2K Metal Primer the same day as the surface was prepared to avoid re-contamination and flash rust.
- Aluminium: Abrade to fresh metal, clean well using detergent. Prime with Smartkote Protectakote 2K Metal Primer as per instructions within 30 minutes.
- Concrete: Allow new concrete at least 28 days to cure. Non-porous cement must be acid-etched, rinsed well and dried. Prime with Duram Duraprime as per instructions if weak, damp or oil contaminated.
- Wood: Abrade, clean and allow to completely dry before applying Protectakote directly. Dilute the first coat with 10% Xylene to aid penetration.
- Fibre-glass: Abrade well, solvent wipe with Xylene and apply Protectakote directly onto the surface.
- PVC: Abrade and clean well using Xylene. Allow to dry before applying Protectakote directly. An adhesion test is recommended prior to use.
- Rubber (nitrile or chloroprene): Clean well using detergent or cleaning solvent such as Xylene. Allow to dry. An adhesion test is recommended prior to use.
- Glazed tiles: Glazed tiles must be cleaned and treated with an organosilane primer eg. Smartkote Protectakote Clear Primer Treatment for adhesion of Protectakote.
- Gloss Paints and Varnish: Abrade with a scouring pad or medium grit sandpaper to remove all gloss. Solvent wipe with Xylene, allow to dry and apply Protectakote directly.
- Motor Vehicles and Painted Metal: Remove heavy dirt and rust. Previously painted surfaces need to be lightly abraded using a scouring pad or medium grit sandpaper to remove all gloss. Solvent wipe, allow to dry and apply Protectakote directly.
- Take care when opening as contents may be under pressure.
- Wear safety goggles and protective gloves.
- After substrates have been prepared, ensure they are completely dry, tests for adhesion have been completed and areas not to be coated have been masked off.
- Stir well before use using a flat paddle.
- Always apply a test patch of Protectakote to ensure the substrate has been properly prepared and primed. Check adhesion of the coating by cutting a small X in the coating using a utility knife. Firmly apply a piece of packaging tape over the centre of the X cut, then pull off with a fast snap. The adhesion is suitable if no significant coating is removed beyond the X cut. If the coating fails this test, then additional surface preparation is required – repeat the surface preparation steps above.
- Brush-on: Protectakote should be “laid” onto the surface with a brush (do not brush backwards and forwards as with an enamel paint). Two coats will result in a final dry film thickness of 0,6mm to 0,8mm. Second or subsequent coats should be applied at right angles to the previous coat. Intercoat time is approximately 2 hours, or when touch dry, depending on ambient conditions.
- Roller: If applied with a stipple roller, application is quicker and the final texture rougher with greater anti-slip characteristics. Follow same instructions as per Brush-on. Intercoat time is approximately 2 hours, or when touch dry, depending on ambient conditions.
- Curing time: Protectakote cures with atmospheric moisture. The coating will be touch dry in about 2 to 4 hours and allowing light traffic after 9 hours. Full strength and chemical resistance is achieved in 4 to 7 days, but normally the coating can be put to use after 24 hours.
- Accelerated cure: In areas of low atmospheric moisture, temperature or when shorter curing times are required, Smartkote Protectakote Accelerator can be added.
- Smartkote Protectakote Safety Grip is an additive for Protectakote non-slip coatings which provides improved grip under wet conditions. Protectakote Safety Grip comprises accurately sized sand particles with no dust, fines or aggregations. Can be added to Protectakote at a 20% (m/m) level where wet conditions will be experienced, or where additional non-slip properties are required.
- Overcoating and repair: Protectakote can easily be repaired or overcoated. The old surface should be well cleaned and then abraded by wire brush or sandpaper, and damaged surfaces must be cut out to provide an area without loose edges. Follow application instructions. If Protectakote is left for more than 24 hours after coating, it should be abraded before recoating to aid intercoat adhesion. If correctly applied, Protectakote provides a seamless repair.
Solvent and Cleaning
- Uncured Protectakote: Can be cleaned in its uncured state using a solvent such as Xylene.
- Cured Protectakote: Can be removed with MEK (Methyl Ethyl Ketone), paint stripper or by mechanical means.
- Remove any spills immediately as Protectakote is very difficult to remove once cured.
- Use hot soapy water to clean the cured coating.
- Please read all instructions carefully before starting the project.
- Proper surface preparation is critical for successful application of Protectakote.
- Do not mix with water, thinners or any solvent containing water or alcohol. Alcohol will prevent Protectakote from curing, while water will cause it to foam and cure in the can.
- Protect from moisture and do not expose to temperatures above 50ºC.
- All RAL colours shown for this product are approximations ONLY.
- RAL 6005 Moss Green may be subjected to extended lead times
- Other colours available to order subject to a minimum order of 200 litres - extended lead times apply.
It is your responsibility to read the Product Data Sheets (available below) before you place an order and prior to application of the product. The content of this website is our best recommendation and is not advice. Coverage rates quoted are approximate, you agree that coverage depends on the condition of the substrate, surface absorption, texture and application method. We ALWAYS recommend a trial area is coated to ensure the product meets your requirements before use.
- Typical Coverage (per coat)
- 2m² per litre
- Touch Dry
- 2 Hours
- Drying time (Overcoat)
- 2 Hours
- Brush, Roller
|Carol on 26/02/2019|| |
Hi, I have a wet room flooring down as was looking to paint over this Will this paint work. Regards Carol
It depends on what surface you intend to apply the product to but if it is a suitable substrate for the product (see product data sheet) we would instead suggest Smartkote Safekote as this has a finer textured surface more suitable for bare feet.
|Chris Jago on 08/01/2019|| |
Please can you confirm the following: - There is currently a degraded rubber mat type of floor covering on a concrete staircase that is over 50 years old. Once the existing materials have been cleaned off is a primer required? Is a single coat sufficient - this is for an internal rear staircase of a flat - so only light wear.
Once the rubber matt, adhesive, etc. has been removed - Bare Concrete: Allow new concrete at least 28 days to cure. Non-porous cement must be acid-etched, rinsed well and dried. Prime with Duram Duraprime as per instructions if weak, damp or oil contaminated.
Apply 2 coats of Smartkote Protectakote by brush or stipple roller at 2m² per litre/per coat. Giving an overall coverage of 1m² per litre. Intercoat time is approximately 2 hours, or when touch dry, depending on ambient conditions.
Always apply a test patch of Protectakote to ensure the substrate has been properly prepared and primed. Check adhesion of the coating by cutting a small X in the coating using a utility knife. Firmly apply a piece of packaging tape over the centre of the X cut, then pull off with a fast snap. The adhesion is suitable if no significant coating is removed beyond the X cut. If the coating fails this test, then additional surface preparation is required – repeat the surface preparation steps above.
703 MMA Flexible Anti-Slip Coating is a fast curing, flexible coating for interior or exterior tarmac and asphalt surfaces enhanced by the incorporation of slip resistant aggregates premixed into the resin.
Smartkote Protectakote UVR is a tough anti-slip aliphatic polyurethane coating, which forms a colour-fast, abrasion and weather resistant film. Protectakote UVR is single component, ready to use and easy to apply. Protectakote UVR is easy to apply and ideal to create anti-slip areas on exterior and interior surfaces.
A fast drying Rust-Oleum spray paint containing a special anti-slip additive. It can be applied on metal, concrete, ceramic and wood surfaces making virtually any surface non-skid instantly, ideal for small maintenance jobs or for touch-up.
A one coat, hard wearing epoxy resin anti-slip coating for concrete, stone, metal and wood. Solvent-free and virtually odour-free, Rust-Oleum SuperGrip Treadsafe is finished with hard-wearing carborundum particles and will easily withstand heavy traffic including forklift trucks and harsh chemicals.
Ennis-Flint MMAXGRIP PRMX 65 is a MMA-based coating that was developed specifically for application to public main roads and side streets as well as other traffic zones. Its special properties make MMAXGRIP PRMX 65 particularly suitable for surfaces where coloured road markings are required on main roads and side streets in urban areas and elsewhere.
506 Anti Slip Dressing is sold in 10m² packs with each contain a flexible binding resin and decorative aggregate to create a 'stone carpet' finish which gives the appearance of loose aggregate, but avoids maintenance problems. Primarily used on outdoor walkways and concourse areas but can also be used internally to reflect the natural beauty of the outdoors.
Rust-Oleum 7100NS Anti-Slip Floor Coating is an easy to apply, solvent based anti-slip floor coating: For foot traffic, interior and exterior Anti-slip additive is premixed in the coating For use on old concrete (>2 yrs), metal and wood Unique uniform appearance, high gloss Touch dry: 6 hours, coverage: 8m² per litre Available in...
Smartkote Protectakote WB is a water-based anti-slip polyurethane coating. Its textured finish is ideal to create safe, anti-slip walkways, steps and ramps on light industrial and commercial floors, for both interior and exterior applications. This water-based solvent-free formulation is weather resistant, has a low odour, and is...
501 Anti Slip Floor Paint is a ready mixed floor coating which creates a textured surface with excellent grip properties for foot and light truck traffic areas. Ideal anywhere anti slip properties are important providing durability, decoration and protection.
503 Easy Clean Anti Slip Coating is a high-build epoxy resin coating containing a hard wearing fine particle anti slip additive that is pre-dispersed into the resin and held in suspension. The result providers a ready to use product that leaves an evenly textured, slip resistant surface that is easy to clean and extremely durable.
Ennis-Flint Stonegrip is a specialist, hand applied surface treatment, consisting of a thermosetting, modified epoxy resin binder, dressed with a decorative aggregate. A wide range of aggregates are available comprising of different colours and sizes.
Blackfriar Professional Anti-Slip Floor Paint is suitable for concrete, cement, brickwork, masonry, wood, stone, and metal surfaces: Excellent slip-resistance Tough and durable coating Resists grease and oil Resists light foot traffic For interior/exterior use Ideal for light industrial, commercial and domestic floors Economic and...
Anti-slip marine coating specially made for the decks of sea faring vessels which is a ready mixed, aggregated coating which provides a rough anti-slip finish when dry to provide extra protection for crew-members while traversing the deck of a boat in motion or vessel in rough seas.