Smartkote Protectakote is a single component, ready-to-use, anti-slip coating with polyurethane performance for ultimate toughness. The course profile textured surface is ideal for interior floors, factory work-stations, walkways, stairs, ramps, vehicles and other areas where a flexible, durable and long lasting anti-slip surface is important.
Smartkote Protectakote is a single component, ready-to-use, anti-slip coating with polyurethane performance for ultimate toughness. The course profile textured surface is ideal for interior floors, factory work-stations, walkways, stairs, ramps, vehicles and other areas where a flexible, durable and long lasting anti-slip surface is important. Protectakote is ready-to use, easy to apply by brush or roller and is available in a variety of colours.
for exterior areas see Smartkote Protectakote UVR.
Features & Benefits
- Can be applied to: metal, concrete, wood, fibre-glass, PVC, rubber, glazed tiles and previously painted surfaces.
- Single component – ready to use direct from can.
- Easy to apply – no skilled labour required.
- Fast drying - Drying time can be accelerated if necessary.
- Polyurethane performance – ultimate toughness.
- Course rubber crumb texture.
- Flexible – won’t chip, flake or peel even at low temperatures.
- Excellent resistance to abrasion, chemicals and solvents.
- Weather resistant.
- Prevents rust and corrosion.
- Excellent capacity to repel water.
- High adhesion to most surfaces including metal, concrete, wood, fibreglass, PVC and rubber.
- Can be overcoated and easily repaired.
- Will not taint water or food once cured.
- Lead & heavy metal free.
- Industrial and commercial floors.
- Walkways, stair edges and bridges.
- Wheelchair access ramps, emergency exits, fire escapes and around machinery.
- Can be used as an automotive coating to protect load beds, tail lifts, chassis and wheel-arches of 4x4’s, trucks, commercial vehicles and trailers.
Protectakote is suitable for interior and exterior use, however for extended life in extreme outdoor conditions Smartkote Protectakote UVR is recommended.
Surface Preparation & Priming
Ensure all substrates are thoroughly dry, clean, sound and free from any contaminants such as dirt, rust, salt, algae and grease. Protectakote exhibits good adhesion to most primers. All non-porous substrates with the exception of painted surfaces require a primer. Substrates differ significantly, and so all new applications should be tested for adhesion first.
- Steel: Abrade surface lightly and remove any surface rust or mill scale by sanding, wire brushing, with a chipping hammer or sandblasting. Prime with Smartkote Protectakote 2K Metal Primer as per instructions, within 30 minutes.
- Galvanized Iron: Clean away grease and dirt with a suitable galvanized iron cleaner until a water break-free surface is attained. Rinse well with water and allow to dry. Abrade to provide a key and prime with Smartkote Protectakote 2K Metal Primer the same day as the surface was prepared to avoid re-contamination and flash rust.
- Aluminium: Abrade to fresh metal, clean well using detergent. Prime with Smartkote Protectakote 2K Metal Primer as per instructions within 30 minutes.
- Concrete: Allow new concrete at least 28 days to cure. Non-porous cement must be acid-etched, rinsed well and dried. Prime with Duram Duraprime as per instructions if weak, damp or oil contaminated.
- Wood: Abrade, clean and allow to completely dry before applying Protectakote directly. Dilute the first coat with 10% Xylene to aid penetration.
- Fibre-glass: Abrade well, solvent wipe with Xylene and apply Protectakote directly onto the surface.
- PVC: Abrade and clean well using Xylene. Allow to dry before applying Protectakote directly. An adhesion test is recommended prior to use.
- Rubber (nitrile or chloroprene): Clean well using detergent or cleaning solvent such as Xylene. Allow to dry. An adhesion test is recommended prior to use.
- Glazed tiles: Glazed tiles must be cleaned and treated with an organosilane primer eg. Smartkote Protectakote Clear Primer Treatment for adhesion of Protectakote.
- Gloss Paints and Varnish: Abrade with a scouring pad or medium grit sandpaper to remove all gloss. Solvent wipe with Xylene, allow to dry and apply Protectakote directly.
- Motor Vehicles and Painted Metal: Remove heavy dirt and rust. Previously painted surfaces need to be lightly abraded using a scouring pad or medium grit sandpaper to remove all gloss. Solvent wipe, allow to dry and apply Protectakote directly.
- Take care when opening as contents may be under pressure.
- Wear safety goggles and protective gloves.
- After substrates have been prepared, ensure they are completely dry, tests for adhesion have been completed and areas not to be coated have been masked off.
- Stir well before use using a flat paddle.
- Always apply a test patch of Protectakote to ensure the substrate has been properly prepared and primed. Check adhesion of the coating by cutting a small X in the coating using a utility knife. Firmly apply a piece of packaging tape over the centre of the X cut, then pull off with a fast snap. The adhesion is suitable if no significant coating is removed beyond the X cut. If the coating fails this test, then additional surface preparation is required – repeat the surface preparation steps above.
- Brush-on: Protectakote should be “laid” onto the surface with a brush (do not brush backwards and forwards as with an enamel paint). Two coats will result in a final dry film thickness of 0,6mm to 0,8mm. Second or subsequent coats should be applied at right angles to the previous coat. Intercoat time is approximately 2 hours, or when touch dry, depending on ambient conditions.
- Roller: If applied with a stipple roller, application is quicker and the final texture rougher with greater anti-slip characteristics. Follow same instructions as per Brush-on. Intercoat time is approximately 2 hours, or when touch dry, depending on ambient conditions.
- Curing time: Protectakote cures with atmospheric moisture. The coating will be touch dry in about 2 to 4 hours and allowing light traffic after 9 hours. Full strength and chemical resistance is achieved in 4 to 7 days, but normally the coating can be put to use after 24 hours.
- Accelerated cure: In areas of low atmospheric moisture, temperature or when shorter curing times are required, Smartkote Protectakote Accelerator can be added.
- Smartkote Protectakote Safety Grip is an additive for Protectakote non-slip coatings which provides improved grip under wet conditions. Protectakote Safety Grip comprises accurately sized sand particles with no dust, fines or aggregations. Can be added to Protectakote at a 20% (m/m) level where wet conditions will be experienced, or where additional non-slip properties are required.
- Overcoating and repair: Protectakote can easily be repaired or overcoated. The old surface should be well cleaned and then abraded by wire brush or sandpaper, and damaged surfaces must be cut out to provide an area without loose edges. Follow application instructions. If Protectakote is left for more than 24 hours after coating, it should be abraded before recoating to aid intercoat adhesion. If correctly applied, Protectakote provides a seamless repair.
Solvent and Cleaning
- Uncured Protectakote: Can be cleaned in its uncured state using a solvent such as Xylene.
- Cured Protectakote: Can be removed with MEK (Methyl Ethyl Ketone), paint stripper or by mechanical means.
- Remove any spills immediately as Protectakote is very difficult to remove once cured.
- Use hot soapy water to clean the cured coating.
- Please read all instructions carefully before starting the project.
- Proper surface preparation is critical for successful application of Protectakote.
- Do not mix with water, thinners or any solvent containing water or alcohol. Alcohol will prevent Protectakote from curing, while water will cause it to foam and cure in the can.
- Protect from moisture and do not expose to temperatures above 50ºC.
- All RAL colours shown for this product are approximations ONLY.
- RAL 6005 Moss Green may be subjected to extended lead times
- Other colours available to order subject to a minimum order of 200 litres - extended lead times apply.
It is your responsibility to read the Product Data Sheets (available below) before you place an order and prior to application of the product. The content of this website is our best recommendation and is not advice. Coverage rates quoted are approximate, you agree that coverage depends on the condition of the substrate, surface absorption, texture and application method. We ALWAYS recommend a trial area is coated to ensure the product meets your requirements before use.
|The figures stated above are approximate. Please ensure you refer to all datasheets for full application information.|
Be the first to ask a question about this product!
Colour reproduction of the Products on the Site is limited by the technology used to deliver web pages and by the colour representation of Customer’s own monitor and computer set-up. We have made every effort to display as accurately as possible the colours of our Products but we cannot guarantee that the colour shown on Customer’s monitor’s display will accurately reflect the colour of the Product on delivery. We recommend that Customer first purchases the smallest Product available or access an industry standard colour chart in person (and not digitally) to ensure that the colour is acceptable for its purposes. For more information, please see our Terms & Conditions of Sale.Close