Smartkote Protectakote WB
Smartkote Protectakote WB is a water-based anti-slip polyurethane coating. Its textured finish is ideal to create safe, anti-slip walkways, steps and ramps on light industrial and commercial floors, for both interior and exterior applications. This water-based solvent-free formulation is weather resistant, has a low odour, and is non-flammable.
Smartkote Protectakote WB is a water-based anti-slip polyurethane coating. Its textured finish is ideal to create safe, anti-slip walkways, steps and ramps on light industrial and commercial floors, for both interior and exterior applications. This water-based solvent-free formulation is weather resistant, has a low odour, and is non-flammable. It’s enhanced with polyurethane for ultimate toughness, with excellent resistance to abrasion, chemicals and solvents. The single pack is ready to use, easy to apply and fast drying. A non-textured smooth version is also available for use as a protective coating or as a touch-up coating which will not alter the texture of existing textured applications.
Features & Benefits
- Water-based - low odour, non-flammable and weather resistant.
- Easy to clean up – simply use water before it cures.
- Single component – ready to use direct from can.
- Easy to apply – no skilled labour required.
- Fast drying.
- Polyurethane performance – ultimate toughness.
- Rubber crumb texture.
- Flexible – won’t chip, flake or peel.
- Excellent resistance to abrasion, chemicals and solvents.
- Prevents rust and corrosion.
- Excellent capacity to repel water.
- High adhesion to most surfaces including metal, cement, wood, fibre-glass and PVC.
- Can be overcoated.
- Repairable – bonds to itself.
- Will not taint water or food once cured.
- Smartkote Protectakote WB is suitable for interior and exterior use.
- Smartkote Protectakote WB can be applied to metal, cement, wood, fibre-glass, PVC and previously painted surfaces.
Smartkote Protectakote WB’s textured anti-slip finish can be used:
- To create safe, anti-slip areas on light industrial and commercial floors
- Ramps for wheelchair access.
- Emergency exits and fire escapes.
- Anti-slip areas around machinery.
- Bridges, steps and walkways.
- Boat decks and helicopter pads
- Any other areas where an anti-slip coating is required.
- An automotive coating to protect load beds, tail lifts, chassis and wheel-arches of 4x4’s, trucks, pick-up trucks, trailers, floors and steps of transporters and busses, as well as any other commercial and specialised vehicles.
Smooth finish is ideal as a protective coating and can also be used to refurbish textured areas without adding more profile.
Surface Preparation & Priming
Ensure all substrates are thoroughly dry, clean, sound and free from any contaminants such as dirt, rust, salt, algae and grease. Protectakote WB exhibits good adhesion to most primers. All non-porous substrates with the exception of painted surfaces require a primer. Substrates differ significantly, and so all new applications should be tested for adhesion first.
- Steel: Abrade surface lightly and remove any surface rust or mill scale by sanding, wire brushing, with a chipping hammer or sandblasting. Prime with Smartkote Protectakote 2K Metal Primer as per instructions, within 30 minutes.
- Galvanized Iron: Clean away grease and dirt with a suitable galvanized iron cleaner until a water break-free surface is attained. Rinse well with water and allow to dry. Abrade to provide a key and prime with Smartkote Protectakote 2K Metal Primer the same day as the surface was prepared to avoid re-contamination and flash rust.
- Aluminium: Abrade to fresh metal, clean well using detergent. Prime with Smartkote Protectakote 2K Metal Primer as per instructions within 30 minutes.
- Concrete: Allow new concrete at least 28 days to cure. Old and new cement or concrete surfaces must be acid-etched, rinsed well and dried. Prime with an epoxy primer as per instructions if damp or oil contaminated.
- Wood: Abrade with a scouring pad or medium grit sandpaper and clean the surface. Wood must be dry or sealed before applying Protectakote WB directly.
- Fibre-glass: Lightly abrade and clean surface thoroughly with water. Allow to dry, then apply Protectakote WB direct.
- PVC: Abrade and clean well with water. Allow to dry before applying Protectakote WB direct.
- Gloss Paints and Varnish: Abrade with a scouring pad or medium grit sandpaper to remove all gloss. Clean away sanding dust and allow to dry thoroughly. Apply Protectakote WB directly.
- Motor Vehicles and Painted Metal: Remove heavy dirt and rust. Previously painted surfaces need to be lightly abraded using a scouring pad or medium grit sandpaper to remove all gloss. Clean away sanding dust and allow to dry thoroughly. Apply Protectakote WB directly.
- Ensure substrates have been prepared.
- Ensure areas not to be coated have been masked off.
- Stir well before use using a flat paddle.
- Always apply a test patch of Protectakote WB to ensure the substrate has been properly prepared and primed. Check adhesion of the coating by cutting a small X in the coating using a utility knife. Firmly apply a piece of packaging tape over the centre of the X cut, then pull off with a fast snap. The adhesion is suitable if no significant coating is removed beyond the X cut. If the coating fails this test, then additional surface preparation is required – repeat the above steps.
- Protectakote WB should be applied in a number of thin coats. Although gas is not evolved during the curing process as with solvent-based Protectakote versions and pinholes will not occur, a number of thin coats will dry faster than a single thick coat.
- Brush-on: Protectakote WB should be “laid” onto the surface with a brush (do not brush backwards and forwards as with an enamel paint). Second or subsequent coats should be applied at right angles to the previous coat. Intercoat time is approximately 2 hours, when touch dry, depending on ambient conditions.
- Roller: If applied with a stipple roller, application is quicker and the final texture rougher with greater non-slip characteristics. Follow same instructions as per Brush-on. Intercoat time is approximately 2 hours, when touch dry, depending on ambient conditions.
- Curing time: Protectakote WB cures by evaporation. The coating will be touch dry in about 2 to 4 hours and allowing light traffic after 12 hours. Full strength and chemical resistance is achieved in 4 to 7 days, but normally the coating can be put to use after 24 hours.
- Overcoating and repair: Protectakote WB can easily be repaired or overcoated. The old surface should be well cleaned and then abraded by wire brush or sandpaper, and damaged surfaces must be cut out to provide an area without loose edges. Follow application instructions. If Protectakote WB is left for more than 24 hours after coating, it should be abraded before recoating to aid intercoat adhesion. If correctly done, Protectakote WB provides a seamless repair.
- Presealed: Directly apply a single coat of Protectakote WB in a cross-hatch method, taking care to not miss any areas. Inspect while wet to ensure that all areas have been coated.
- Unsealed: Directly apply two coats of Protectakote WB at right angles to one another. The second coat may be applied after 2-3 hours or as soon as touch-dry, but within 24 hours.
- 4m² per litre, per coat. Applied in a 2 coat application. Giving an overall coverage of 2m² per litre.
- Three coats are recommended for high wear areas.
- Coverage will vary depending on the porosity and profile of the surface.
- Uncured Protectakote WB: Can be cleaned in its uncured state using water.
- Cured Protectakote WB: Can be removed with MEK (Methyl Ethyl Ketone) or by mechanical means.
- Remove any spills immediately as Protectakote WB is very difficult to remove once cured.
- Use hot soapy water to clean the coating.
- Please read all instructions carefully before starting the project.
- Proper surface preparation is critical for successful application of Protectakote WB.
- Do not thin with any solvent. Water is recommended as an appropriate thinning agent.
- Do not apply to bare metal without an appropriate primer.
- All RAL colours shown for this product are approximations ONLY.
- Other colours available to order subject to a minimum order of 200 litres - extended lead times apply.
It is your responsibility to read the Product Data Sheets (available below) before you place an order and prior to application of the product. The content of this website is our best recommendation and is not advice. Coverage rates quoted are approximate, you agree that coverage depends on the condition of the substrate, surface absorption, texture and application method. We ALWAYS recommend a trial area is coated to ensure the product meets your requirements before use.
|The figures stated above are approximate. Please ensure you refer to all datasheets for full application information.|
|James Coates on 02/12/2018|
Can I use this product on my smooth granite shop steps(outdoor)? If so would I apply direct to steps? Or would I need a primer?
We would suggest Smartkote Safekote Clear. It shows up well on tests and allows you to see the granite more easily than something like Smartkote Protectakote. If the surface is clean with no dirt of any sort on it then no primer should be needed but if you are unsure we would recommend using Smartkote Protectakote Clear Primer Treatment first. Finally we would recommend you do a trial area to make sure it is all OK before proceeding.
Colour reproduction of the Products on the Site is limited by the technology used to deliver web pages and by the colour representation of Customer’s own monitor and computer set-up. We have made every effort to display as accurately as possible the colours of our Products but we cannot guarantee that the colour shown on Customer’s monitor’s display will accurately reflect the colour of the Product on delivery. We recommend that Customer first purchases the smallest Product available or access an industry standard colour chart in person (and not digitally) to ensure that the colour is acceptable for its purposes. For more information, please see our Terms & Conditions of Sale.Close