We no longer stock this product, but can recommend Nullifire S606 Solvent-Based Intumescent Coating as a great alternative.
Bollom Fireshield Ultra Universal Intumescent Basecoat is a single pack solvent-based intumescent coating for fire protection of both internal and external structural steelwork. A very pale green in colour, Fireshield Ultra Universal can provide 30, 60, 90 or 120 minutes of fire protection and is ideal for winter/low temperature application. A Certificate of Performance and Installation is available on request and the product is fully fire tested to BS476: Parts 20 & 21.
Features and Benefits
- Suitable for interior and exterior steel
- Ideal for winter/low temperature application
- Provides 30, 60, 90 & 120 minutes fire protection
- Fully fire tested to BS476: Parts 20 & 21
- Suitable for applicaiton by brush, roller or spray
The following application instructions are for on-site applications only.
- The primer is compatible with Fireshield Ultra Universal and has been applied correctly.
- The over coating period for the primer has not been exceeded.
- All damage to the primer has been repaired and re-primed.
- Site and weather conditions are within specification.
- Fireshield Ultra Universal is stored correctly.
- Surface is clean, dry and free from contamination.
- Correct spray equipment is available, if appropriate.
- Application instructions have been read prior to commencement of work.
- Equipment should be free from contaminants and dried material.
- Wet film gauge.
Bollom Fireshield Ultra Universal should be applied onto a clean, undamaged, dry and suitably primed steel surface. Certain types of primers can cause adhesion problems and should be avoided. These include: Chlorinated rubbers and Bitumen. Galvanized surfaces should be prepared by an application of T-wash or mordant solution followed by a compatible primer. The primer should be applied in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions. If a zinc rich primer is used, it is advisable to seal this with a suitable tie coat prior to shipment to site. If the steel is left exposed to the atmosphere with just a zinc rich primer, surface salts may build up on the steel. These salts, if not adequately removed, may cause adhesion problems for any subsequent coating applied. Removal of the salts can be achieved by high-pressure washing. If adequate removal of the salts cannot be guaranteed, a suitable tie coat may have to be applied prior to the Fireshield Ultra Universal.
Bolloms should be consulted for technical advice when over coating of existing paints are specified for use. For Zinc Rich primers, which are generally porous, the application of a sealer such as Torlife TP Sealer is essential.
Application of Topcoat
- Once the Fireshield Ultra Universal Basecoat has been applied to the specified DFT and is fully dry, it can be over coated with Bollom Flameguard Ultra Gloss.
- If a top coat is not required immediately it can be left up to 12 months exposed without top coat once the Basecoat has dried fully.
- If left for extended periods, some cleaning down and surface preparation may be required before finally applying Top Coat.
- For long term durability and external use, top coat is required.
- Due to the number of factors affecting drying times, the Fireshield Ultra Universal Basecoat should always be checked before application of top coat.
How to get Fire Certification
It’s simple, just keep proof of purchase, batch numbers of the products used along with site details and contact Bollom Customer Services Department on 0191 410 6611 with the information and they will send you the relevant Certificate of Supply within 5 working days.
Bollom Fireshield Ultra Universal has been made with the professional painter and decorator in mind and all products are easy to apply and have been fire tested to BS476: Parts 20 & 21.
IMPORTANT FIRE PRODUCTS NOTICE: The information displayed on this website should be used as a guide ONLY and our Technical Department should be contacted to obtain a tailored specification and any advice necessary before you place an order for fire protection products. Fire protection products are non-returnable except in accordance with Condition 8 of the Terms and Conditions. We will not be held liable for any resulting damage to property, human life or monetary costs incurred due to the incorrect specification you have prepared or use of fire protection products caused by your negligence, including your failure to have contacted us to obtain the relevant advice/specification.
It is your responsibility to read the Product Data Sheets (available below) before you place an order and prior to application of the product. The content of this website is our best recommendation and is not advice. Coverage rates quoted are approximate, you agree that coverage depends on the condition of the substrate, surface absorption, texture and application method. We ALWAYS recommend a trial area is coated to ensure the product meets your requirements before use.
|The figures stated above are approximate. Please ensure you refer to all datasheets for full application information.|
Be the first to ask a question about this product!
Colour reproduction of the Products on the Site is limited by the technology used to deliver web pages and by the colour representation of Customer’s own monitor and computer set-up. We have made every effort to display as accurately as possible the colours of our Products but we cannot guarantee that the colour shown on Customer’s monitor’s display will accurately reflect the colour of the Product on delivery. We recommend that Customer first purchases the smallest Product available or access an industry standard colour chart in person (and not digitally) to ensure that the colour is acceptable for its purposes. For more information, please see our Terms & Conditions of Sale.Close