Thermoguard Fire Varnish BS Class 1/0 & EN Class B s2 d0 System
Thermoguard Fire Varnish BS Class 1/0 & EN Class B System is a clear fire retardant varnish for interior and exterior timber surfaces. These packs have been created to help users ensure they are purchasing sufficient product for their project. Each pack contains the correct amount of basecoat (Fire Varnish Basecoat) and topcoat (Fire Varnish Overcoat) to ensure protection is achieved inline with the manufacturers recommendations to the respective area in question.
The Thermoguard Fire Varnish system is specially formulated to provide a tough, durable finish to internal and external wood. Clear or stained finishes enhance the natural beauty of the wood while fire protecting surfaces. The Fire Varnish Overcoat in Matt or Satin finishes provide protection against UV and wear.
When exposed to fire, the Thermoguard Fire Varnish system expands to create an insulating barrier, protecting timber surfaces from flames, heat and oxygen and suppressing emission of deadly smoke & gasses.
Each component of the packs can still be purchased individually if required here: Thermoguard Fire Varnish Basecoat and here: Thermoguard Fire Varnish Overcoat (Exterior)
- 20m² Pack (Interior Spec.) = 1 x 20m² Fire Varnish Basecoat + 1 x 20m² Fire Varnish Overcoat (Exterior)
- 20m² Pack (Exterior Spec.) = 1 x 20m² Fire Varnish Basecoat + 2 x 20m² Fire Varnish Overcoat (Exterior)
- 80m² Pack (Interior Spec.) = 4 x 20m² Fire Varnish Basecoat + 1 x 80m² Fire Varnish Overcoat (Exterior)
- 80m² Pack (Exterior Spec.) = 4 x 20m² Fire Varnish Basecoat + 2 x 80m² Fire Varnish Overcoat (Exterior)
Specification and Application
Prepare and apply – (INTERIOR)
- 1 coat of Thermoguard Fire Varnish Basecoat
- 1 coat of Thermoguard Fire Varnish Overcoat (Exterior) Matt or Satin
Prepare and apply – (EXTERIOR, DAMP, HIGH WEAR AREAS or FRUITWOODS)
- 1 coat of Thermoguard Fire Varnish Basecoat
- 2 coats of Thermoguard Fire Varnish Overcoat (Exterior) Matt or Satin
Application by painters, decorators and other professional users only. Refer to instructions on Fire Varnish Basecoat and Overcoat containers.
A gloss finish is available in Fire Varnish Overcoat in batch quantities for large projects if required.
Previously Varnished and Stained Surfaces or Wood Preservers
The Thermoguard Fire Varnish System can be applied over firmly adhered standard clear varnish. For existing stained varnishes, stain coatings, old fire coatings or if in doubt, contact our Technical Department on 0113 2455450.
- If preservatives are required, use rapid drying clear non water repellent grades*.
- For tanalised or other preservative treatments, contact our Technical Department.
*Allow adequate time for stain or preservative fluids to escape before applying the Thermoguard Fire Varnish System.
Application to OSB/Sterling Board
This is a board made of chips of wood glued together to form a hard non-decorative board. If it needs fire coating, Thermoguard Fire Varnish or Timbercoat System can be applied to it. However we first recommend a test is carried out by applying a small amount of the proposed coating to the board to check for "cessing" / "cissing" (where coating gathers together in lumps and may leaving bare patches between). If this occurs the board should be degreased/cleaned and allowed to dry before testing again - if this still does not provide a satisfactory application please contact our Technical Team for further advice on 0113 2455450 (option 2) or send a message to [email protected].
Fire Test Standards and Certification
- EN Class B s2 d0
- BS Class 1 and Class 0
Note - For 30 or 60 mins Fire Resistance, see Thermoguard Fire Varnish 30 & 60min Protection System Packs.
For fire protection to doors, see Fire Door Upgrade Kits
Thermoguard issue a Certificate of Supply upon request for each correctly specified project for Insurance, Fire and Building Control Authority and Client Records against proof of purchase.
- Cover, countersink & fill, or use non-ferrous, galvanized, stainless or sheradised fittings
- Ensure surfaces are dry, clean and free of all contamination.
- Varnished, sealed or non-porous wood should be abraded thoroughly with medium grade silicone carbide abrasive when dry to provide a good key.
During application & drying of the full system:-
- Ensure surfaces are thoroughly dry – max 18% moisture content.
- Maximum relative humidity RH 75%.
- Ensure adequate ventilation.
- Minimum air temperature 6°C. Minimum surface temperature 3°C above dewpoint– avoid condensation.
IMPORTANT FIRE PRODUCTS NOTICE: The information displayed on this website should be used as a guide ONLY and our Technical Department should be contacted to obtain a tailored specification and any advice necessary before you place an order for fire protection products. Fire protection products are non-returnable except in accordance with Condition 8 of the Terms and Conditions. We will not be held liable for any resulting damage to property, human life or monetary costs incurred due to the incorrect specification you have prepared or use of fire protection products caused by your negligence, including your failure to have contacted us to obtain the relevant advice/specification.
It is your responsibility to read the Product Data Sheets (available below) before you place an order and prior to application of the product. The content of this website is our best recommendation and is not advice. Coverage rates quoted are approximate, you agree that coverage depends on the condition of the substrate, surface absorption, texture and application method. We ALWAYS recommend a trial area is coated to ensure the product meets your requirements before use.