NOTE: This item is currently unavailable until the 12th of September 2022 Protecta FR IPT 4hr One Part Sealant & Adhesive, a high performance, professional quality, one-part ready-to-use sealant and adhesive with up to 4 hours fire protection - offering tradesman one solution for all internal building applications. Suitable for a wide...
Protecta FR Acrylic 4hr Intumescent Sealant
Designed to prevent the spread of fire and smoke through joints and openings in fire rated walls and floors including around building service penetrations.
- Classified for fire sealing all types of constructions such as drywalls, masonry walls, concrete walls, concrete & composite floors
- For fire stopping of service penetrations in cross-laminated timber walls & floors
- For fire sealing all types of building service penetrations such as cables, cable bundles, cable conduits, steel pipes, copper pipes, composite pipes, PVC pipes, PE pipes, ABS pipes, PP pipes & PEX pipe-in-pipes
- With commonly used pipe insulations such as stone wool, glass wool, elastomeric & phenolic, both interrupted & continuous through the fire seal
- Causes no deleterious effects on cPVC pipes like BlazeMaster
- Up to 4 hours fire protection
- Can be used with a suitable filling material (stone wool or Protecta Backing material)
- Suitable for most surfaces, including concrete, masonry, steel, gypsum, glass, plastics & most non-porous surfaces
- NEW - Eco-Foil system Reduces on-site waste by more than 90%
- Requires both foils and empty cartridge
Protecta FR Acrylic 4hr Intumescent Sealant, part of the Protecta Firestopping range, is designed to prevent the spread of fire and smoke through joints and openings in fire rated walls and floors including openings formed around building service penetrations. It will also maintain the acoustic design performance in walls and floors.
The sealant cures when it is subjected to atmospheric conditions, however it will retain a degree of elasticity for joint movement. Under fire exposure, it creates a robust fire seal by the formation of a durable intumescent char.
Protecta FR Acrylic 4hr Intumescent Sealant can be used with a suitable filling material, i.e. stone wool or Protecta Backing material in order to secure correct width to depth ratio and to reduce the shrinking of the sealant during curing. Minimum depth and maximum width of the joints are included in the installation instructions. Thermal activation takes place at about 180°C when the material will expand (intumesce) and prevent the passage of fire and smoke for periods up to and beyond 4 hours.
NEW - Eco-Foil System
The system works by inserting a 300ml foil into the reusable Eco-Cartridge, which fits into a standard skeleton gun. The cartridge has a double-ended plunger, so once the foil is empty, remove the cap and nozzle and re-fill the opposite end with a new 300ml foil. Simply replace the cap and nozzle at the opposite end, insert into the dedicated foil gun and the system is ready for use!
- One Eco-Cartridge can be reused a minimum of 60 times
- Reduces on-site waste by more than 90%
- The system fits into a standard skeleton gun
- 6 months longer shelf life than the same product in a cartridge
Features & Benefits
- Acrylic intumescent fireproof sealant
- High end formula, certified Worldwide
- Classified for fire sealing all types of constructions such as drywalls, masonry walls, concrete walls, concrete floors and composite floors
- Classified for fire stopping of service penetrations in cross-laminated timber walls and floors
- Classified for fire sealing all types of building service penetrations such as cables, cable bundles, cable conduits, steel pipes, copper pipes, composite pipes, PVC pipes, PE pipes, ABS pipes, PP pipes and PEX pipe-in-pipes
- Classified with commonly used pipe insulations such as stone wool, glass wool, elastomeric and phenolic, both interrupted and continuous through the fire seal
- Classified for fire sealing against timber, steel and aluminium such as door and window frames
- Causes no deleterious effects on cPVC pipes like BlazeMaster, supported by mechanical testing evidence
- May be installed in drywalls with or without framing around the opening
- Up to 4 hours fire protection - activates at about 180°C
- Very high sound insulation
- Air, smoke and gas tight, tested at 600 Pascal
- Low emissions - environmentally and user friendly
- Simple to apply with a smooth surface finish
- Permanently flexible – will accommodate movement up to 12.5%
- No priming necessary for application to most materials
- Can be used with a suitable filling material (stone wool or Protecta Backing material) to secure correct width to depth ratio, reducing shrinking of sealant during curing
- Suitable for most surfaces, included concrete, masonry, steel, gypsum, glass, plastics and most non-porous surfaces
- Hardens quickly, tack free after 1 hour (the fire performance specification of the joint filler has been derived when the joint filler has been let to cure for a month)
- Creates a durable intumescent char in fire for a robust seal
- 18 months storage time (under correct conditions)
- 30 years working life
- See below for installation instructions and product data
|Reference||Product Name||Size||Colour||Box Quantity|
|P005/P215||Protecta FR Acrylic 4hr Intumescent Sealant||310ml cartridge||White (RAL 9002 / NCS S1002-Y) or grey (NCS: S5500-N)||Box of 25|
|P022||600ml foil-packed||Box of 12|
Protecta FR Acrylic has been tested at EXOVA BM Trada (UKAS accredited); according to EN ISO 10140-2:2010. Usage of any backing material is optional, due to the tests being conducted with sealant only.
|Form||Ready for use, acrylic based filler|
|Speciﬁc Gravity||1.58 – 1.64|
|Reaction to fire||B-s1, d0|
|Expansion in fire||1 : 2-3|
|Non-sticky||Max. 75 minutes|
|Film forming||Max. 25 minutes|
|Totally hardened||3 to 5 days depending on thickness and temperature|
|Flexibility||12.5% mortar/concrete/masonry to EN ISO 9046|
|Durability||Z2 intended for use in internal conditions with humidity classes other than Z1, excluding temperatures below 0°C|
|BWR 3||Use category IA1, S/W3|
|Thermal conduct.||0.845 W/mK (+/- 3%) @ 20mm depth|
|Storage||18 months stored in unopened cartridges. To be stored in temperatures between 10°C and 30°C|
|Working life||30 years|
|Service temperature||-20 to +70°C|
|Application temp.||+5 to +30°C|
|Compatibility||Suitable for use with most materials, but should not be used In direct contact with bituminous materials|
|Limitations||Should not be used in permanently damp areas or in joints with high movement|
|Classification||CE-marked - Sealant for fire rated joints and penetrations class EI 240|
Refer to the Application Guide (download from the "Data Sheets" tab further above) for illustrations and more detailed drawings for the following fittings:
- Linear seals in floors
- Cables in floors
- Metal pipes in floors
- Plastic pipes in floors
- Plastic conduits in floors
- Cables in timber floors
- Metal pipes in timber floors
- Plastic pipes in timber floors
- Linear seals in masonry or concrete walls
- Cables in masonry or concrete walls
- Metal pipes in masonry or concrete walls
- Plastic pipes in masonry or concrete walls
- Plastic conduits masonry or concrete walls
- Linear seals in drywalls, masonry or concrete walls
- Cables in drywalls, masonry or concrete walls
- Metal pipes in drywalls, masonry or concrete walls
- Plastic pipes in drywalls, masonry or concrete walls
- Plastic conduits in drywalls, masonry or concrete walls
- Cables in timber walls
- Metal pipes in timber walls
- Plastic pipes in timber walls
For guidance on fire sealing ventilation ducts, please refer to Protecta FR Damper’s Technical Data Sheet.
Protecta FR Acrylic is designed to prevent the spread of fire, smoke and gases through openings in fire rated walls and floors. FR Acrylic should be applied over suitable backing materials to ensure correct width to depth ratio, and to reduce shrinkage of the joint during hardening.
Minimum separations and limitations:
Services can be sealed as specified in the detailed drawings. Minimum separation between services and also between services and the edge of the seal within each aperture should be 10 mm to allow for correct fitting of backing and seal depth. Minimum separation between apertures should be at least 30 mm, except in timber constructions where apertures can be placed linear (horizontally in walls) with no required separation. For larger joint dimensions or apertures other than described in the detailed drawings, Protecta FR Board or EX Mortar should be used. In areas with a high degree of humidity and/or in joints with excessive movement, Protecta FR IPT should be used.
Flexible walls must have a minimum thickness of 75mm and comprise steel studs or timber studs* ) lined on both faces with minimum 1 layer of 12.5mm thick boards.
Timber walls must have a minimum thickness of 100mm and comprise solid wood or cross-laminated timber.
Rigid walls must have a minimum thickness of 75mm and comprise concrete, aerated concrete or masonry, with a minimum density of 350kg/m3 (650kg/m3 in rigid wall details)
Rigid floors must have a minimum thickness of 150mm (except composite floors) and comprise aerated concrete or concrete with a minimum density of 650kg/m3
Timber floors must have a minimum thickness of 150mm and comprise solid wood or cross-laminated timber. The supporting construction must be classified in accordance with EN 13501-2 for the required fire resistance period. Services shall be supported at maximum 350mm away from both faces of the wall constructions and 550mm from the upper face of floor constructions.
* Timber studs: no part of the penetration seal may be closer than 100mm to a stud, and minimum 100mm of insulation of class A1 or A2 according to EN 13501-1 must be provided within the cavity between the penetration seal and the stud. In linear seals, there is no minimum distance and insulation required.
- Before installing Protecta FR Acrylic ensure that the surface of all service penetrations and surrounding construction is free from all loose contaminants, dust and grease.
- Where Protecta FR Acrylic is to be installed against surfaces that cannot tolerate direct contact; appropriate surface preparation should be made (contact Polyseam/Rawlins Technical (0113 2455450, option 2 or [email protected]) for guidance in these cases). For paints sensitive to sealing compounds, priming with a PVA primer is recommended.
- As Protecta FR Acrylic is water based, in cases where corrosion protection is a problem; some metals may require a barrier between the sealant and the metal surface prior to this installation.
- When installing the sealant in gypsum boards, the exposed edges of the board can be wetted with water, or Protecta FR Acrylic diluted with water to prime the surfaces helping adhesion and preventing excessive joint shrinkage.
- When installing Protecta FR Acrylic in hollow floor slabs or boards, fire seals specified as single sided should be installed from the soffit side of the floor assuming there is sufficient thickness of concrete below the void to follow the installation guide. Where this is not the case, tubular voids should be filled with stone wool normally the same thickness as the depth of the floor slab. Alternatively, simply fire seal on both sides.
- Where single sided top face seals are described, these can also be used in composite floors (e.g., concrete filled, steel trapezoidal decking)
- An aperture with or without penetrating services, can include a steel or plastic sleeve casted or friction fitted within rigid constructions. Plastic sleeves should have a maximum wall thickness of 14.6 mm.
- When installing any backing material, cut this slightly oversize and insert into the gap ensuring a tight friction fit. Ensure correct depth is achieved.
- Fill the gap or joint with Protecta FR Acrylic to the required depth. Refer to the drawings in the application guide for guidance on joint design/dimensions. If installation does not have to meet any specific fire specification, it is recommended that a width to depth ratio of 2:1 is utilized, with a minimum depth of 12mm of sealant.
- Apply the sealant generously to prevent air bubbles. Finish the bead with a moist spatula, pallet knife or brush.
- Protecta FR Acrylic can be over-painted with most emulsion or alkyd (gloss) paints.
These instructions are based on the product’s ETAs and UKTAs issued in accordance with regulation (EU) No 305/2011 on the basis of EAD 350454-00-1104, September 2017, tested to EN 1366-3, -4 & -12 in conjunction with EN 1363-1. The product hold the following approval marks; CE-mark for Europe, UKCA-mark for UK, UL-EU Certificate Internationally, UAE Certificate of Compliance & AS assessment for Australia and New Zealand.
Analysis of cPVC Pipes e.g. BlazeMaster
Analysed using Fourier Transform Infrared (FTIR) Spectroscopy; examination of the sealant contact regions of the cPVC pipe after removal of the sealant showed no evidence of visible discolouration or changes at the pipe surface.
Protecta FR Acrylic has also been tested for chemical resistance of a sealant when applied to a cPVC pipe. The sealant does not affect cPVC pipes as the tests showed no difference between the control and exposed results at Yield.
Tested by Intertek, report numbers IWTN/W000009628ARL001 and WTN/W000009628RLM001.
IMPORTANT FIRE PRODUCTS NOTICE: The information displayed on this website should be used as a guide ONLY and our Technical Department should be contacted to obtain a tailored specification and any advice necessary before you place an order for fire protection products. Fire protection products are non-returnable except in accordance with Condition 8 of the Terms and Conditions and should be applied only by an individual with the necessary expertise and experience. We will not be held liable for any resulting damage to property, human life or monetary costs incurred due to the incorrect specification you have prepared or use of fire protection products caused by your negligence, including your failure to have contacted us to obtain the relevant advice/specification.
Be the first to ask a question about this product!
IMPORTANT SHIPPING & DELIVERY INFORMATION
Protecta FR Acrylic 4hr Intumescent Sealant is only available with the shipping and delivery timescales listed below - please do not contact our Customer Support Team with enquiries about alternative or earlier shipping and delivery times.
Saturdays and Sundays, as well as Bank Holidays, are not classed as working days.
Orders placed after the cut-off for this product will not be processed for earliest dispatch until 9am the next working day.
All delivery costs below are excluding VAT
Protecta Mineral Fibre Bio Backing Material, made from special alkaline earth silicate (AES) fibres that have been uniquely engineered to offer advantages in high temperature and insulation applications, with low thermal conductivity and heat storage and excellent resistance to thermal shock. Considered a superior alternative to stonewool...
Protecta FR Board, designed to prevent the spread of fire & smoke through openings in fire rated walls & floors with multiple installed building services. Permanently flexible, it will maintain the acoustic design performance in fire rated walls & floors, accommodating movements during fire & smaller movements in the...
Protecta EX Mortar, a highly thermally-insulating fire sealing compound to prevent the spread of fire and smoke through openings in fire rated walls and floors. Use to seal up gaps around services such as cables, bundled cables, cable racks, cable trays, steel, copper, alupex, plastic pipes and air ventilation ducts on concrete, bricks, Leca,...