Protecta FR Acrylic 4hr Acrylic Intumescent Sealant, designed to prevent the spread of fire & smoke through joints & openings in fire rated walls & floors including openings formed around building service penetrations, also maintaining the acoustic design performance in walls & floors. Classified for fire sealing all types...
Protecta EX Mortar Fire Rated Compound
Protecta EX Mortar, a highly thermally-insulating fire sealing compound to prevent the spread of fire and smoke through openings in fire rated walls and floors. Use to seal up gaps around services such as cables, bundled cables, cable racks, cable trays, steel, copper, alupex, plastic pipes and air ventilation ducts on concrete, bricks, Leca, steel & plastic.
- Mixes with water - simple to apply leaving a very smooth finish that can be sanded, drilled or painted once fully dry
- High degree of mechanical resistance; seal is load bearing without reinforcement
- Most building material substrates require no priming - metal services in contact with the seal must be corrosion protected
- Certified for use in walls; Protecta FR Boards recommended
- Fully set within 1 hour - the fire performance specification of the compound has been derived when the seal has been left to cure for 1 month
- Available in 10L (individually) and 20L (per pallet of 63)
Protecta EX Mortar, part of the Protecta Firestopping range, is a dry white powder consisting of inorganic compounds and perlite that, when mixed with water, forms a highly thermally insulating fire sealing compound to prevent the spread of fire and smoke through openings in fire rated walls and floors, including openings formed around building service penetrations. Use to seal up gaps around services such as cables, bundled cables, cable racks, cable trays, steel, copper, alupex, plastic pipes and air ventilation ducts.
Whilst certified for use in walls, it is recommended to use Protecta FR Boards for these applications. Protecta EX Mortar is suitable for most surfaces, including concrete, bricks, Leca, steel, plastic etc, but not suitable to fitting of doors or in service openings that involve movement.
EX Mortar expands approx. 1% by hydraulic action during curing ensuring a very tight seal around the service penetrations and the surrounding opening apertures, helping to maintain the acoustic design performance in walls and floors.
Once fully set (typically within 1 hour - see Curing Times further below) the mortar is easy to sand or drill, drying to an off-white colour which may be painted. Most substrates require no priming prior to application, however, metal services in contact with the seal must be corrosion protected.
Features & Benefits
- Firestop compound
- Mixes with water to seal around openings and services in walls and floors
- Provides an anti-fire seal to prevent smoke and fire spread
- Classified in walls and floors of concrete, brick, gypsum etc.
- Suitable for cables, bundled cables, cable racks, cable trays, steel, copper, alupex, plastic pipes and air ventilation ducts
- Simple to apply leaving a very smooth finish
- Can be sanded, drilled or painted once fully dry
- High degree of mechanical resistance; the seal is load bearing without reinforcement
- No priming necessary prior to application in most building material substrates however metal services in contact with the seal must be corrosion protected
- Suitable for most surfaces, including concrete, bricks, Leca, steel, plastic etc, but not suitable to fitting of doors or in service openings that involve movement
- The product is certified for use in walls but it is recommended to use Protecta FR Boards for these applications
- Fully set within 1 hour
- The fire performance specification of the compound has been derived when the seal has been left to cure for 1 month
- Nearly unlimited storage time
|Reference||Product Name||Size||Colour||Pack Size|
|P139||Protecta EX Mortar Fire Rated Compound||10lt||Off White||Each|
|P070||20lt||Pallet of 63|
|Condition||Powder ready for mixing with water|
|Product consumption at 2:1 mix||Approx. 3.42 bags per m² @ 50mm depth|
|Approx. 6.83 bags per m² @ 100mm depth|
|Dry density||About 900 kg/m³ after full cure|
|Reaction to fire||Class A1 according to EN 13501-1|
|Hardened||Less than 1 hour depending on the local climate|
|Totally hardened||Up to 30 days depending on thickness and temp.|
|Thermal conduct.||0.051 W/mK|
|Working life||30 years|
|Storage||No particular limit for unopened bags in dry places with storage temperatures between 5°C and 30°C|
|Compatibility||Suitable for use with most materials, but should not be used in direct contact with metals that may corrode|
|Limitations||Should not be used in permanently damp areas or in moving joints|
|Classification||CE-marked – Fire seal for fire rated openings and penetrations class EI 240|
Refer to the Application Guide for illustrations and more detailed drawings for the following fittings:
- Cables and cable trays in floors (pages 2-3)
- Steel pipes in floors (pages 3-5)
- Copper pipes in floors (pages 6-7)
- Alupex pipes in floors (pages 7-8)
- Plastic pipes in floors (pages 8-10)
- Composite pipes in floors (pages 10-12)
- Conduits in floors (page 12)
- Cables and cable trays in masonry or concrete walls (pages 12-13)
- Steel pipes in masonry or concrete walls (pages 13-15)
- Copper pipes in masonry or concrete walls (page 15)
- Alupex pipes in masonry or concrete walls (page 15)
- Plastic pipes in masonry or concrete walls (pages 15-16)
- Cables and trays in drywalls, masonry or concrete walls (page 16)
- Steel pipes in drywalls, masonry or concrete walls (pages 16-17)
- Copper pipes in drywalls, masonry or concrete walls (page 17)
- Alupex pipes in drywalls, masonry or concrete walls (page 18)
- Plastic pipes in drywalls, masonry or concrete walls (pages 18-19)
Please refer to Protecta FR Damper for guidance on fire sealing ventilation ducts.
Minimum separations and limitations: Services can be sealed as specified in the detailed drawings. An aperture can include several services, and they may also be different. The minimum permitted separation between adjacent seals/apertures is 200mm. Services should be a minimum of 30mm from seal edges. Services within the system Protecta EX Mortar seal do not require a minimum separation, except pipes where combustible pipe insulation penetrates the seal and plastic pipe penetrations, which should be a minimum of 30mm from other services in the aperture. The total amount of cross sections of services (including insulation) should not exceed 60% of the penetration area.
Supporting constructions: Flexible walls must have a minimum thickness of 100 mm and comprise steel studs or timber studs*** lined on both faces with minimum 2 layers of 12.5 mm thick boards. Rigid walls must have a minimum thickness of 100 mm and comprise concrete, aerated concrete or masonry, with a minimum density of 650 kg/m³. Rigid floors must have a minimum thickness of 150 mm and comprise aerated concrete or concrete with a minimum density of 650 kg/m³. The supporting construction must be classified in accordance with EN 13501-2 for the required fire resistance period.
***Timber studs: no part of the penetration seal may be closer than 100 mm to a stud, and minimum 100 mm of insulation of class A1 or A2 according to EN 13501-1 must be provided within the cavity between the penetration seal and the stud.
- Ensure the faces of the aperture opening are free of dust and any other contaminants. The faces may be moistened for better adhesion.
- If the mortar seal is required to be load bearing, please see instructions in the Technical Data Sheet.
- Bare metal pipes passing through the seal must be protected against corrosion using a suitable primer/protection system.
- When sealing drywalls the mortar should be flush with the surface of the wall on both sides.
- When sealing masonry or concrete constructions, the seal can be positioned to either side of the construction or anywhere in between.
- When installing Protecta EX Mortar in hollow floor slabs or boards, level the fire seal with the soffit side. Ensure there is sufficient thickness of concrete below the void for the depth of mortar. Where this is not the case, tubular voids should be filled with stone wool normally the same thickness as the depth of the floor slab. Alternatively, simply fire seal on both sides.
- Install a stone wool shutter board where is necessary to achieve the required thickness of mortar (see the drawings on pages 2- 19). Make sure that this achieves a very tight seal – any small openings should be sealed with Protecta FR Acrylic.
- Pour clean water into a suitable mixing vessel and add the mortar to obtain the required consistency. Mix steadily at low speed and ensure that any lumps of powder are fully dispersed. Always add the mortar to the water, do not reverse this mixing process. For different mix ratios and drying times, please refer to the Technical Data Sheet.
- Once the desired consistency is achieved pour or trowel the mortar onto the shutter board making sure that it flows into all corners and around services. Apply a firm pressure to the mortar to eliminate any trapped air bubbles. Build up to the required depth.
This Installation Instruction is based on the product’s European Technical Assessment issued in accordance with regulation (EU) No 305/2011 on the basis of EAD 350454-00-1104, September 2017.
Loadbearing Properties (Floors)
Protecta EX Mortar has been subject to concentrated load and impact tests in floors according to ETAG 026-2 and EOTA TR001 Clause 2. The tests were conducted on the minimum allowed cast depth of 100mm.
According to the loading limits in the table below, reinforcement is not necessary, however it is highly recommended that the edges of the aperture are brushed free of any dust or loose particles and that any contamination is washed away using clean water. Moistening the edges well before casting will improve adhesion. Protecta EX Mortar should not be cast in surface treated concrete. The mortar must be mixed to a thick but fluid mass at a rate of approx. 2 parts of powder to 1 part water. Maximum loadbearing performance will be achieved 28 days after casting. Test results:
|Test in 1500x1000mm frame||Results|
|Soft body impact, serviceability||500Nm|
|Soft body impact, safety in use||700Nm|
|Hard body impact, serviceability||6 Nm|
|Hard body impact, safety in use||10 Nm|
|Concentrated load to ETAG 26-2||15 kN|
|For filler 3.5 to 1 mix||0°C||19 minutes|
|For casting 2 to 1 mix||0°C||40 minutes|
Protecta EX Mortar was mixed with an electric mixer for 90 seconds with a 100mm diameter paddle. Note the greater the sheer/agitation generated in the mixing process the quicker the mortar will set. Protecta EX Mortar is designed to be a quick curing system for professional installers where fast application times is of the highest importance. For slower cure, a retardant can be added to the dry mortar powder (sold separately).
|Single sided cast ≥ 50 mm thick as linear seal||Rw 64 dB|
|Double sided cast ≥ 25 mm thick as linear seal||Rw 64 dB|
|Single sided cast ≥ 50 mm thick as large seal||Rw 48 dB|
|Double sided cast ≥ 25 mm thick as large seal||Rw 48 dB|
Protecta EX Mortar has been tested at BM Trada (UKAS accredited); according to EN ISO 10140-2:2010.
Resistance to Fire
|Flexible walls comprise gypsum, masonry, aerated concrete or concrete||Up to 2400 mm wide by 1200 mm high blank seal with double sided 25mm Protecta ® EX Mortar on 25mm cast board||EI 120 (E 120)|
|Rigid walls comprise masonry, aerated concrete or concrete, within walls or between the head of walls and the soffit of floor slabs||Up to 2400 mm wide by 1200 mm high blank seal with single sided 50mm Protecta ® EX Mortar on 50mm cast board||EI 120 (E 180)|
|Up to 2400 mm wide by 1200 mm high blank seal with single sided 100mm Protecta ® EX Mortar||EI 240 (E 240)|
|Rigid floors comprise aerated concrete or concrete within floors or between floors and walls||Up to 2400 mm by 1200 mm blank seal with 50mm Protecta ® EX Mortar on top of 50mm cast board||EI 180 (E 180)|
|Up to 2400 mm by 1200 mm blank seal casted with 100mm Protecta ® EX Mortar||EI 240 (E 240)|
The cast board comprise stone wool with density ≥ 150kg/m³.
Please read the Installation Instructions before usage.
Additional Aperture Sizes in Floors
Under EN 1366-3 rules, results from tests in floors with a penetration seal length of minimum 1m apply to any length as long as perimeter length to seal area ratio is not smaller than that of the test specimen. The following aperture sizes are therefore allowed where 2400 x 1200 mm is described in this data sheet and in the installation instructions.
|Maximum Aperture Sizes within Floors or between Floors and Walls|
|1200 mm width x 2400 mm length (tested)|
|1100 mm width x 2900 mm length|
|1000 mm width x 4000 mm length|
|900 mm width x 7000 mm length|
|≤ 800 mm width x ∞ (infinite) length|
Emission Data (indoor air quality)
|Compound||Emission rate after 3 days||Emission rate after 4 weeks|
|TVOC||12 µg/m³||< 5 µg/m³|
|TSVOC||n.d.||< 5 µg/m|
|VOC w/o NIK||n.d.||< 5 µg/m³|
|R Value||n.d.||< 1|
|Acetaldehyde||< 3 µg/m||n.d.|
|Sum for+ace||< 0.006 ppm||n.d.|
|Carcinogenic||< 1 µg/m³||< 1 µg/m³|
|n.d. or < means not detected|
Protecta EX Mortar complies with the requirements of GEV and the results correspond to the EMICODE emission class EC 1 PLUS which is the best possible environmental and indoor hygiene health protection mark. Tested by Eurofins Product Testing, report number G12874B.
Pipe End Configurations
When testing pipes, one can choose not to cap (or close) the pipe, or cap the pipe inside the furnace, or outside the furnace, or on both sides. The configuration chosen depends on the intended application of the pipe and/or the installation environment.
The code defining if a pipe is capped is stated after the fire classification. For instance EI 60 C/U which means the pipe was capped inside the furnace, and uncapped outside the furnace. The test configuration defines the approvals possible.
Our engineering judgment based on EN 1366-3:2009 are:
|Intended use of pipe||Pipe end condition (4)|
|Rainwater pipe, plastic||At drainage||U/U (1)|
|Not at drainage||C/C (2)|
|Drainage or sewage pipe, plastic||Ventilated drain||U/U (1)|
|Unventilated drain||U/C (1)|
|Drain w/water trap||U/C (1)|
|Not at drainage||C/C (2)|
|Pipe in closed circuit (water, gas, air, electricity etc.)||C/C (2) (3)|
|Flue gas recovery system pipe, plastic||U/C (1)|
|Pipe with open ends and ≥ 50cm length on both sides, plastic||U/U (2)|
|Pipe supported by suspension system, metal||Fire rated support||C/U (1)|
|Non fire rated||U/C (1)|
|Waste disposal shaft pipe, metal||U/C (1)|
- Stated in EN 1366-3:2009
- Polyseam’s judgment based on tests
- Metal pipes should have fire rated support
- U/U classified fire seals cover C/U, U/C and C/C. C/U classified fire seals cover U/C and C/C. U/C classified fire seals cover C/C
IMPORTANT FIRE PRODUCTS NOTICE: The information displayed on this website should be used as a guide ONLY and our Technical Department should be contacted to obtain a tailored specification and any advice necessary before you place an order for fire protection products. Fire protection products are non-returnable except in accordance with Condition 8 of the Terms and Conditions . We will not be held liable for any resulting damage to property, human life or monetary costs incurred due to the incorrect specification you have prepared or use of fire protection products caused by your negligence, including your failure to have contacted us to obtain the relevant advice/specification.
It is your responsibility to read the Product Data Sheets (available below) before you place an order and prior to application of the product. The content of this website is our best recommendation and is not advice. Coverage rates quoted are approximate, you agree that coverage depends on the condition of the substrate, surface absorption, texture and application method. We ALWAYS recommend a trial area is coated to ensure the product meets your requirements before use.
Be the first to ask a question about this product!
Protecta FR Board, designed to prevent the spread of fire & smoke through openings in fire rated walls & floors with multiple installed building services. Permanently flexible, it will maintain the acoustic design performance in fire rated walls & floors, accommodating movements during fire & smaller movements in the...
Protecta FR Damper fire proofs ventilation ducts that pass through fire-rated walls & floors, preventing spread of fire & smoke both surrounding & inside ducts. The steel casing contains horizontal steel blades treated with a technically advanced heat expanding graphite, closing off the damper in fire. Closes in the area where...