Thermoguard Wallcoat Smoke & Flame Retardant Topcoat is available in an Acrylic Matt or Acrylic Eggshell finishes in 4,000+ colours from RAL, BS and NCS (exlcuding fluorescent and metallic shades). It is for use as a topcoat to complete the Thermoguard Wallcoat upgrading system for walls and ceilings.
When used as instructed with Thermoguard Wallcoat, Thermoguard Wallcoat Smoke & Flame Retardant Topcoat completes a system that meets new Fire Regulations standard BS EN Class B s1 d0 and complies with British Standard Class 1 and Class 0 Surface Spread of Flame. For 30 & 60 minutes Fire Resistance see Thermoguard Wallcoat 30 & 60 Minute System.
Thermoguard Wallcoat is an intumescent paint basecoat with smoke and flame Retardant properties for upgrading potentially dangerous ‘multi-layer’ previously painted walls & ceilings. It controls surface spread of flame and fire propagation to Class 0 & EN Class B. Total smoke control, flaming droplets and particulates to EN Class B s1 d0. Thermoguard Wallcoat Smoke and Flame Retardant Topcoat is a compatible, water-borne specialist finish that allow owners and operators of buildings to fulfil their Duty of Care for Fire Safety without having to compromise aesthetics by using it to finish the Wallcoat basecoat system.
To Specify, Simply State
To achieve BS EN Class B sl, d0, inspect and prepare in accordance with manufacturer’s instructions and apply -
Fire Testing & Certification
Tested at UKAS Fire Test Laboratory -
- Achieved BS EN Class B s1 d0 - Highest standard
We issue a Fire Certificate upon request for each correctly specified project for Insurance, Fire and Building Authority and Client Records against proof of purchase. Certified Fire protection is guaranteed if all instructions are followed on suitable surfaces.
Flamespread & Smoke Protection
When exposed to fire, Thermoguard Wallcoat expands to create a fire protective barrier, insulating surfaces from heat and oxygen and preventing combustion. Thermoguard Wallcoat Smoke & Flame Retardant Topcoats (Matt & Eggshell) actively suppress smoke, particles and flaming droplets.
UK Fire Safety Order 2005, Flamespread and Smoke
The Fire Safety Order 2005 requires property managers to comply with current fire standards for corridors, stairways, entrance lobbies etc. Even on non-combustible walls & ceilings, multiple layers of incompatible paints “Multi-Layer” often create the worst Class 4 - EN Class E - Surface Spread of Flame risk.
While the British Class 0 is still accepted, it will soon become defunct, as it has been superseded by the safer standard BS EN Class B s1 d0, with its more rigorous flame-spread protection and control of dangerous smoke and burnt particulates.
NEW EU/BS EN Fire Standard Explained
- EU fire standard BS EN Class B replaces BS476 Class 0
- In 2012 both BS476 and BS EN comply, but BS 476 is rapidly being replaced by the more severe and realistic EN test including air flow.
- BS EN also monitors dangerous smoke. The safest class is s1
- BS EN also measures flaming droplets & burnt particulates. The safest class is d0
- The new safest standard for corridors, stairs etc is BS EN Class B s1 d0.
Finish, Colours and Availability
- Wallcoat Smoke & Flame Retardant Topcoat is available in Matt or Eggshell finish in White, BS 4800, BS 381C, RAL and NCS colours (not metallic or fluorescent shades). 2 coats may also be required for strong/dark colours - Thermoguard Wallcoat Insulating Basecoat will be provided in a suitable undercoat shade to aid topcoat opacity unless instructed otherwise.
- A clear version is also available for special applications but this must be recommended by our Technical Team before use. The matt finish in clear can in certain applications appear cloudy over very dark substrates so a test should be carried out first to ensure appearance is acceptable before full use.
- Wallcoat is available in White Matt only as it is a basecoat
- Wallcoat and Wallcoat Smoke & Flame Retardant Topcoat are sold in 25m² and 100m² cans
IMPORTANT FIRE PRODUCTS NOTICE: The information displayed on this website should be used as a guide ONLY and our Technical Department should be contacted to obtain a tailored specification and any advice necessary before you place an order for fire protection products. Fire protection products are non-returnable except in accordance with Condition 8 of the Terms and Conditions and should be applied only by an individual with the necessary expertise and experience. We will not be held liable for any resulting damage to property, human life or monetary costs incurred due to the incorrect specification you have prepared or use of fire protection products caused by your negligence, including your failure to have contacted us to obtain the relevant advice/specification.