Economy and Speed
Thermocoat W is an economical, water based intumescent paint system providing fire resistance to structural steel and cast iron for up to 90 minutes with a minimum number of coats. A compatible decorative overcoat system ensures the system will enhance the building’s architectural and design features.
It is designed for use on larger projects, where our technical team can advise the exact amount of Thermocoat required, keeping costs down and making application easier. In most instances ½ hour fire resistance can be achieved with a single application of Thermocoat W and 1 hour fire resistant can be achieved with just two coats.
Thermocoat W is a low odour, water-based coating, making it user and environmentally friendly. Thermoguard Flame Retardant Topcoats are 2010 compliant and safe to use in accordance with manufacturer’s instructions.
How it Works
The heat of a fire triggers a catalytic reaction, causing the expansion of an insulating char layer up to 50 times the paint thickness. This layer keeps the steel below its critical temperature, thus maintaining the structural integrity of the building.
Product performance assessment based upon UKAS/NAMAS Fire Test Laboratory Certification to BS 476 Part 21 - Fire resistance to load bearing elements of structures.
Please consult technical department 0113 2455450 for detailed specification advice.
A Certificate of Supply is issued on request for each specified project for insurance, Fire and Building Control Authority and Client Records.
Preparation and Pre-Treatment
- Steel and cast iron should be free from rust and millscale and primed with Thermoguard High Build Metal Primer to 75 microns DFT in accordance with manufacturer’s instructions. Galvanised steel should be degreased and primed with a suitable etch primer.
- Thermoguard High Build Metal Primer may be left without further overcoating or decorated with appropriate conventional paint where no fire resistance is required.
Apply Thermocoat to achieve fire resistance in accordance with the instructions provided by the technical department. When steel is visible or subject to variable or damp atmospheric conditions, apply 1-2 coats (dependant on specification) of Thermoguard Flame Retardant Topcoat (available in Gloss or Eggshell finishes).
- Thermocoat W may be applied by brush, roller or airless spray. To achieve the best finish in the shortest time, spray application is recommended. Prior to application the contractor should contact the technical department and obtain an application schedule. To assist correct application in accordance with this schedule, a wet film gauge should be used, wet film gauges can be provided on request.
- Maximum wet film thickness per brush coat – 800 microns
- Maximum wet film thickness per spray coat – 1400 microns
- Surface dry: minimum 2 hours
- Recoat: minimum 4 hours
- Overcoating with Flame Retardant finish: minimum 10 hours
- Surface dry: minimum 4 hours
- Recoat: minimum 10 hours
- Overcoating with Flame Retardant finish: minimum 48 hours
Thermocoat is available in 5kg and 20kg containers. Flame Retardant Topcoats are available in 2.5L and 5L sizes in a wide choice of colours and finishes.
Technical Advisory and Estimating Service
Rawlins in-house estimators provide realistic, confidential guidance on project costing to contractors and quantity surveyors. We also provide expert advice and assistance with all aspects of specification and application.
IMPORTANT FIRE PRODUCTS NOTICE: The information displayed on this website should be used as a guide ONLY and our Technical Department should be contacted to obtain a tailored specification and any advice necessary before you place an order for fire protection products. Fire protection products are non-returnable except in accordance with Condition 8 of the Terms and Conditions. We will not be held liable for any resulting damage to property, human life or monetary costs incurred due to the incorrect specification you have prepared or use of fire protection products caused by your negligence, including your failure to have contacted us to obtain the relevant advice/specification.
It is your responsibility to read the Product Data Sheets (available below) before you place an order and prior to application of the product. The content of this website is our best recommendation and is not advice. Coverage rates quoted are approximate, you agree that coverage depends on the condition of the substrate, surface absorption, texture and application method. We ALWAYS recommend a trial area is coated to ensure the product meets your requirements before use.