Zeroflame Aquasteel WB+ 60min System for Hollow Sections is a pack that provides sufficient intumescent basecoat (Zeroflame Aquasteel WB+) and coloured topcoat (Zeroflame Aquasteel WB+ Finish) to protect suitably primed, standard Square, Rectangular and Circular steel hollow sections in internal environments to 60 minute fire resistance.
Quick Links - Click To Jump To Section:
Zeroflame Aquasteel WB+ is a white thin-film waterborne intumescent coating with a new and improved formula designed to provide 30 and 60 minutes fire resistance on standard structural steel members in internal environments available in 2.5lt, 5lt and 10lt containers. It provides an easier and more efficient alternative to cladding steel members in plasterboard.
Zeroflame Aquasteeel WB+ Finish is an exceptionally hard-wearing decorative finish for application over Zeroflame Aquasteel WB+ Intumescent Coating. Zeroflame Aquasteel WB+ Finish is available as a water based acrylic eggshell, matt or solvent based gloss finish. Eggshell, Matt and Gloss finishes are available in nearly all BS, RAL and NCS colours. Both Zeroflame Aquasteel WB+ and Zeroflame Aquasteel WB+ Finish are specialist products that are easy to apply by conventional methods. All cans come complete with full instructions and coverage rates.
Pack Features & Benefits
- Achieves 1 hour (60 mins) fire resistance on steel hollow sections
- Tested to British Standard - BS476 Part 21 : 1987
- 3-4 coat system*
- Available in a wide range of colours in Eggshell, Matt or Gloss finishes
- Certificate of Supply available with every purchase – Apply HERE
- Can be applied by brush, roller or airless spray
- Suitable for C1 and C2 environments
- Specification and application details included on container label
- Available in 1.375m2, 2.75m2, 4.125m2 and 5.5m2 packs
Each pack contains:
- 1.375m2 - 2.5lt Zeroflame Aquasteel WB+ and 2.5lt Zeroflame Aquasteel WB+ Finish Eggshell or Gloss
- 2.75m2 - 5lt Zeroflame Aquasteel WB+ and 2.5lt Zeroflame Aquasteel WB+ Finish Eggshell or Gloss
- 4.125m2 - 7.5lt (1 x 2.5L and 1 x 5L) Zeroflame Aquasteel WB+ and 2.5lt Zeroflame Aquasteel WB+ Finish Eggshell or Gloss
- 5.5m2 - 10lt Zeroflame Aquasteel WB+ and 2.5lt Zeroflame Aquasteel WB+ Finish Eggshell or Gloss
Steelwork to be coated with Zeroflame Aquasteel WB+ must be primed with an anti-corrosion primer suited to the intended environment of the building and applied to the Manufacturer’s Specification with the exceptions that the Dry Film Thickness does not exceed 100 microns and that Thermoplastic, Bitumen or Chlorinated Rubber coatings are not used. If the steel has been galvanised or coated with a zinc-rich primer a suitable tie-coat should be applied. Consult Technical Support for guidance.
Before applying Zeroflame Aquasteel WB+, patch prime any damaged areas and ensure the surface is dry, free from rust, oil, grease, dust and other contaminants. Existing decorative finishes must be removed.
If your steel is bare, we can suggest after cleaning/preparation, mild steel can be primed with Rust-Oleum 3369/3380 CombiPrimer Anti-Corrosion. Galvanised steel should be thoroughly degreased to remove oils and must be completely dry, clean and free from any surface contamination prior to priming with Zinsser Bulls Eye 1-2-3.
To suitably primed steel, apply 3 coats of Zeroflame Aquasteel WB+ at 1.65m2 per litre (610 microns WFT per coat) to achieve a total coverage rate of 0.55m2 per litre (must achieve a total of 1830 microns WFT / 1280 microns DFT). Drying times between coats will be approximately 4-6 hours at 20°C. Allow a minimum 16 hours drying time after the final coat and then apply 1 coat * of Zeroflame Aquasteel WB+ Finish Eggshell or Matt at 12m2 per litre or Zeroflame Aquasteel WB+ Finish Gloss at 14m2 per litre in the colour of your choice.
*1 coat of Zeroflame Aquasteel WB+ Finish is normally sufficient but for dark contrasting colours 2 coats may be required. If applying Zeroflame Aquasteel WB+ by airless spray it is possible if desired to apply in 2 coats instead of 3 – apply 2 coats at 1.1m2 per litre (915 microns WFT) per coat.
The following instructions are for on-site application only. For offsite application, refer to the Technical Department on 0113 2455450 (option 2) or send a message to [email protected].
- The primer is compatible with Zeroflame Aquasteel WB+ and has been applied correctly.
- The overcoating period for the primer has not been exceeded
- The correct primer is used for galvanised steel
- All damage to the primer has been repaired & re-primed
- Site and weather conditions are within specification
- Zeroflame Aquasteel WB+ is stored correctly
- Surface is clean, dry and free from contamination
- Correct spray equipment is available, if appropriate
- Application instructions have been read prior to commencement of work
- Ensure different basecoats are not applied on the same section of steel
- Equipment should be clean and free from contaminants or dried material
- Wet film gauges are available for use
Recommended for application to dry, protected, interior structural steels only. If Zeroflame Aquasteel WB+ is allowed to get wet, it is likely to become damaged and may cause blistering and wrinkling to occur.
Zeroflame Aquasteel WB+ should only be applied when the air and steel temperatures are above 5°C. Relative humidity should be below 80% for successful application. Steel surface temperature should be a minimum of 3°C above the dew point. Ensure the steel is dry and protected from contact with rain or condensation during the application, drying and curing process.
Please note: These packs are NOT suitable for Universal Beams or Columns or 30min protection. If you have Universal Beams or Columns to protect or require 30min protection please see our other packs – Zeroflame Aquasteel WB+ 30min System for Universal Beams & Columns, Zeroflame Aquasteel WB+ 60min System for Universal Beams & Columns or Zeroflame Aquasteel WB+ 30min System for Hollow Sections.
Zeroflame Aquasteel WB+ is suitable for all types of structural steel, subject to the following minimum steel thicknesses:
|Rectangular Hollow Section (1 Hour) 4 Sides
||Wall thickness 5.0mm
||(Hp/A) of 205m-1
|Rectangular Hollow Section (1 Hour) 3 Sides
||Wall thickness 8.0mm
||(Hp/A) of 205m-1
|Circular Hollow Section (1 Hour)
||Wall Thickness 6.0mm
||(Hp/A) of 205m-1
Please download and read the product data sheets (available above under the 'DATA SHEETS' tab above) before use.
If you are in any doubt with any element of these products or packs please contact our Technical Department on 0113 2455450 (option 2) or send a message to [email protected]
To receive a 'Certificate of Supply' for your purchase, after application of the product, simply complete the online form via the 'Apply For Certification' button HERE. Your certificate should be returned to you within 7-10 working days.
IMPORTANT FIRE PRODUCTS NOTICE: The information displayed on this website should be used as a guide ONLY and our Technical Department should be contacted to obtain a tailored specification and any advice necessary before you place an order for fire protection products. Fire protection products are non-returnable except in accordance with Condition 8 of the Terms and Conditions and should be applied only by an individual with the necessary expertise and experience. We will not be held liable for any resulting damage to property, human life or monetary costs incurred due to the incorrect specification you have prepared or use of fire protection products caused by your negligence, including your failure to have contacted us to obtain the relevant advice/specification.