Thermoguard Wallcoat is an intumescent basecoat (part of a complete system) to upgrade potentially dangerous 'multi-layer' - previously painted - walls & ceilings in communal areas:
- Controls surface spread of flame and fire propagation to Class 0 & EN Class B
- Achieves EU and new British safety standards on walls and ceilings
- For painted plaster, Artex, plasterboard, brick and concrete
- 4000+ colours available from RAL, BS & NCS
- Please note that colours chosen in this product will be produced as an `undercoat shade` ready for overcoating with Thermoguard Wallcoat Smoke & Flame Retardant Topcoat in the same colour. The same colour should be chosen in both basecoat and topcoat for best results.
**Available for delivery - see Delivery Options below**
Product customisationDon't forget to save your customization to be able to add to cart
Thermoguard Wallcoat is a smoke and flame retardant fire protection paint upgrade system that achieves EU and new British safety standards on walls and ceilings.
Intended Use – Protection and Decoration of Buildings
Thermoguard Wallcoat is an intumescent paint with smoke and flame Retardant properties for upgrading potentially dangerous ‘multi-layer’ previously painted walls & ceilings. It controls surface spread of flame and fire propagation to Class 0 & EN Class B. Total smoke control, flaming droplets and particulates to EN Class B s1 d0 (This system can also achieve 30 & 60 minutes Fire Resistance, see Thermoguard Wallcoat 30 & 60 Minute System).
Thermoguard Wallcoat Smoke and Flame Retardant Topcoat is a compatible, water-borne specialist finish that allows owners and operators of buildings to fulfil their Duty of Care for Fire Safety without having to compromise aesthetics. The system can be applied to painted plaster, Artex, plasterboard, brick and concrete.
To Specify, Simply State
To achieve BS EN Class B s1, d0, inspect and prepare in accordance with manufacturer’s instructions and apply -
- 1 coat of Thermoguard Wallcoat
- 1 coat* of Thermoguard Wallcoat Smoke & Flame Retardant Topcoat in Matt or Eggshell Finish
*Apply 2 coats of Thermoguard Wallcoat Smoke & Flame Retardant Topcoat in Matt or Eggshell Finish in external, damp or high wear areas. 2 coats may also be required for strong/dark colours - Thermoguard Wallcoat will be provided in a suitable undercoat shade to aid topcoat opacity unless instructed otherwise.
For 30 & 60 minute protection see Thermoguard Wallcoat 30 & 60 Minute System.
Fire Testing & Certification
Tested at UKAS Fire Test Laboratory -
- Achieved BS EN Class B s1 d0 - Highest standard
We issue a Fire Certificate upon request for each correctly specified project for Insurance, Fire and Building Authority and Client Records against proof of purchase. Certified Fire protection is guaranteed if all instructions are followed on suitable surfaces.
Flamespread & Smoke Protection
When exposed to fire, Thermoguard Wallcoat expands to create a fire protective barrier, insulating surfaces from heat and oxygen and preventing combustion. Thermoguard Wallcoat Smoke & Flame Retardant Topcoat (Matt & Eggshell) actively suppresses smoke, particles and flaming droplets.
UK Fire Safety Order 2005, Flamespread and Smoke
The Fire Safety Order 2005 requires property managers to comply with current fire standards for corridors, stairways, entrance lobbies etc. Even on non-combustible walls & ceilings, multiple layers of incompatible paints “Multi-Layer” often create the worst Class 4 - EN Class E - Surface Spread of Flame risk.
While the British Class 0 is still accepted, it will soon become defunct, as it has been superseded by the safer standard BS EN Class B s1 d0, with its more rigorous flame-spread protection and control of dangerous smoke and burnt particulates.
NEW EU/BS EN Fire Standard Explained
- EU fire standard BS EN Class B replaces BS476 Class 0
- In 2012 both BS476 and BS EN comply, but BS 476 is rapidly being replaced by the more severe and realistic EN test including air flow.
- BS EN also monitors dangerous smoke. The safest class is s1
- BS EN also measures flaming droplets & burnt particulates. The safest class is d0
- The new safest standard for corridors, stairs etc is BS EN Class B s1 d0.
Finish, Colours and Availability
- Wallcoat Smoke & Flame Retardant Topcoat is available in Matt or Eggshell finish in White, BS 4800, BS 381C, RAL and NCS colours (not metallic or fluorescent shades)
- Wallcoat basecoat is available in White and BS 4800, BS 381C, RAL and NCS undercoat shades
- Wallcoat and Wallcoat Smoke & Flame Retardant Topcoat are sold in 25m² and 100m² cans
Preparation and Application
Surfaces should be sound and firmly adhering, clean, dry and free of surface contamination. Remove loose, flaking or suspect paint and adequately abrade existing smooth or hard coatings – abrasion not needed on Vinyl Matt.
Apply by brush or roller, thinning to a maximum 5% with water, provided specified spread rate is achieved. Maintain wet edge during application.
During application and drying, ensure a minimum temperature of 5°C, maximum relative humidity 75% and surface temperature at least 3°C above dew point. Avoid condensation.
Environmental, Health & Safety
Thermoguard Wallcoat SFR system is low odour, low VOC and water based, thus user and environmentally friendly.
Products manufactured under ISO 9000.
IMPORTANT FIRE PRODUCTS NOTICE: The information displayed on this website should be used as a guide ONLY and our Technical Department should be contacted to obtain a tailored specification and any advice necessary before you place an order for fire protection products. Fire protection products are non-returnable except in accordance with Condition 8 of the Terms and Conditions. We will not be held liable for any resulting damage to property, human life or monetary costs incurred due to the incorrect specification you have prepared or use of fire protection products caused by your negligence, including your failure to have contacted us to obtain the relevant advice/specification.
- Application Method
- Brush, roller, spray
- Supplied in pre-measured packs to apply 1 coat to 25m² or 100m²
- Touch Dry
- 4 hours
|David on 2019-09-24 11:27:33|| |
Does the Basecoat come in 5lrt tins ?. As we want to use it underneath Thermo guard eggshell . Thanks David
As per the website, if you click the drop down arrow next to the size option it is available to order in 25m², 100m² or 5kg tin sizes.
|Wendy orrell on 2019-06-16 10:08:17|| |
Do you have tester pots for the colours
No, Thermoguard Wallcoat is a basecoat available in white only. Thermoguard Wallcoat Smoke & Flame Retardant Topcoat which is the topcoat to be applied over the Thermoguard Wallcoat basecoat is available in most RAL, BS, NCS and other custom colours on request.
|m flynn on 2017-04-11 08:31:22|| |
Question: Can this or any other of your products be used as fire retardants on polystyrene ceiling tiles.
No, sorry I'm afraid we do not have a product suitable for this application.
Thermoguard Wallcoat 30 & 60 Minute System for Plasterboard is a coloured intumescent paint system for interior plasterboard and cement board ceiling and wall surfaces. These packs have been created to help users ensure they are purchasing sufficient product for their project. Each pack contains the correct amount of basecoat (Wallcoat)...