Smartkote Protectakote UVR
Smartkote Protectakote UVR is a tough anti-slip aliphatic polyurethane coating, which forms a colour-fast, abrasion and weather resistant film. Protectakote UVR is single component, ready to use and easy to apply.
- Tough and flexible polyurethane and rubber coating
- High adhesion to most surfaces including metal, concrete, wood, fiberglass, PVC and rubber
- Other colours available to order subject to a minimum order of 200 litres - extended lead times apply. Please contact our technical team on 0113 2455450 (option 2) or send a message to [email protected] for more details.
**Available for delivery - see Delivery Options below**
Smartkote Protectakote UVR is a tough anti-slip aliphatic polyurethane coating, which forms a colour-fast, abrasion and weather resistant film. Protectakote UVR is single component, ready to use and easy to apply. Protectakote UVR is easy to apply and ideal to create anti-slip areas on exterior and interior surfaces.
Features & Benefits
- Single component ready to use direct from can.
- Tough and flexible polyurethane and rubber coating
- Excellent UV and weather resistance.
- Impact and abrasion resistant.
- Attractive anti-slip finish
- Prevents rust and corrosion.
- High adhesion to most surfaces including metal, concrete, wood, fiberglass, PVC and rubber.
- Can be overcoated or repaired.
- Resists many solvents, good chemical resistance to organic and inorganic acids.
- Drying time can be accelerated if necessary (low temperatures or time constraints).
- Lead and heavy metal free.
- Protectakote UVR can be applied to: metal, concrete, wood, fiberglass, PVC, rubber and glazed tiles.
- Protectakote UVR can be used for:
- Protective linings for pick-up trucks and other commercial and military vehicles.
- Anti-slip floors, walkways and stairs.
- Floors and steps of transporters and busses.
- Ramps for wheelchair access.
- Exterior non-slip areas for playgrounds and schools.
- Stairs, emergency exits and fire escapes.
- Helicopter pads.
- Non-slip areas around machinery.
- Outdoor flooring applications.
- Any other area where an anti-slip coating is required.
3m² per litre per coat. Applied in a 2 coat application. Giving an overall coverage of 1.5m² per litre
Coverage will vary depending on the porosity and profile of the surface. Three coats are recommended for high wear areas.
Ensure all substrates are thoroughly dry, clean, sound and free from any contaminants such as dirt, rust, salt, algae and grease.
Protectakote UVR exhibits good adhesion to most primers. All non-porous substrates with the exception of painted surfaces require a primer. Substrates differ significantly, and so all new applications should be tested for adhesion first.
- Steel: Abrade surface lightly and remove any surface rust or mill scale by sanding, wire brushing, with a chipping hammer or sandblasting. Prime with Smartkote Protectakote 2K Metal Primer as per instructions, within 30 minutes.
- Galvanized Iron: Clean away grease and dirt with a suitable galvanized iron cleaner until a water break-free surface is attained. Rinse well with water and allow to dry. Abrade to provide a key and prime with Smartkote Protectakote 2K Metal Primer the same day as the surface was prepared to avoid re-contamination and flash rust.
- Aluminium: Abrade to fresh metal, clean well using detergent. Prime with Smartkote Protectakote 2K Metal Primer as per instructions within 30 minutes.
- Concrete: Allow new concrete at least 28 days to cure. Non-porous cement must be acid-etched, rinsed well and dried. Prime with Duram Duraprime as per instructions if weak, damp or oil contaminated.
- Wood: Abrade, clean and allow to completely dry before applying Protectakote UVR directly. Dilute the first coat with 10% Xylene to aid penetration.
- Fibreglass: Abrade well, solvent wipe with Xylene and apply Protectakote UVR directly onto the surface.
- PVC: Abrade and clean well using Xylene. Allow to dry before applying Protectakote UVR directly. An adhesion test is recommended prior to use.
- Rubber (nitrile or chloroprene): Clean well using detergent or cleaning solvent such as Xylene. Allow to dry. An adhesion test is recommended prior to use.
- Glazed tiles: Glazed tiles must be cleaned and treated with an organosilane primer eg. Smartkote Protectakote Clear Primer Treatment for adhesion of Protectakote UVR.
- Gloss Paints and Varnish: Abrade with a scouring pad or medium grit sandpaper to remove all gloss. Solvent wipe with Xylene, allow to dry and apply Protectakote UVR directly.
- Motor Vehicles and Painted Metal: Remove heavy dirt and rust. Previously painted surfaces need to be lightly abraded using a scouring pad or medium grit sandpaper to remove all gloss. Solvent wipe, allow to dry and apply Protectakote UVR directly.
- Take care when opening as contents may be under pressure.
- Wear safety goggles and protective gloves.
- After substrates have been prepared, ensure they are completely dry, tests for adhesion have been completed and areas not to be coated have been masked off.
- Stir well before use using a flat paddle.
- Always apply a test patch of Protectakote UVR to ensure the substrate has been properly prepared and primed. Check adhesion of the coating by cutting a small X in the coating using a utility knife. Firmly apply a piece of packaging tape over the centre of the X cut, then pull off with a fast snap. The adhesion is suitable if no significant coating is removed beyond the X cut. If the coating fails this test, then additional surface preparation is required – repeat the surface preparation steps above.
- Brush-on: Protectakote UVR should be “laid” onto the surface with a brush (do not brush backwards and forwards as with an enamel paint). Two coats will result in a final dry film thickness of 0,6mm to 0,8mm. Second or subsequent coats should be applied at right angles to the previous coat. Intercoat time is approximately 2 hours, or when touch dry, depending on ambient conditions.
- Roller: If applied with a stipple roller, application is quicker and the final texture rougher with greater anti-slip characteristics. Follow same instructions as per Brush-on. Intercoat time is approximately 2 hours. or when touch dry, depending on ambient conditions.
- Curing time Protectakote UVR cures with atmospheric moisture. The coating will be touch dry in about 2 to 4 hours and allowing light traffic after 9 hours. Full strength and chemical resistance is achieved in 4 to 7 days, but normally the coating can be put to use after 24 hours.
- Accelerated cure: In areas of low atmospheric moisture, temperature or when shorter curing times are required, Smartkote Protectakote UVR Accelerator can be added.
- Smartkote Protectakote Safety Grip is an additive for Protectakote non-slip coatings which provides improved grip under wet conditions. Protectakote Safety Grip comprises accurately sized sand particles with no dust, fines or aggregations. Can be added to Protectakote at a 20% (m/m) level where wet conditions will be experienced, or where additional non-slip properties are required.
- Overcoating and repair: Protectakote UVR can easily be repaired or overcoated. The old surface should be well cleaned and then abraded by wire brush or sandpaper, and damaged surfaces must be cut out to provide an area without loose edges. Follow application instructions. If Protectakote UVR is left for more than 24 hours after coating, it should be abraded before recoating to aid intercoat adhesion. If correctly applied, Protectakote UVR provides a seamless repair.
- All RAL colours shown for this product are approximations ONLY.
- RAL 6005 Moss Green, 5010 Gentian Blue, 3013 Tomato Red and RAL 1019 Sand may be subjected to extended lead times
- Other colours available to order subject to a minimum order of 200 litres - extended lead times apply.
- Interior / Exterior Use
- Interior and Exterior
- Water / Solvent Based
- For Use On
- Steel, Galvanized Iron, Aluminium, Concrete, Wood, Fibre-glass, PVC, Rubber, Tile,
- Application Method
- Brush, Roller, Spray
- Clear, Standard / Ready Mixed
- Single, Two or Three Pack
- Pack Size
- 1L, 4L
- Applied in a 2 coat application. Giving an overall coverage of 1.5 m 2 per litre
- Touch Dry
- 2 Hours
- UN Number
|lee sterland on 2020-06-19 08:55:08|| |
hello can this be used on natural stone / sandstone steps for a none slip tread ?
Smartkote Protectakote UVR does not mention sandstone as a specific substrate it can be applied to, but Smartkote Protectakote Clear Primer Treatment can be used to prepare inorganic surfaces for the subsequent adhesion of Smartkote Protectakote UVR and would be worth testing as an option to meet your requirements.
|Gregor Albreht on 2020-02-27 09:44:14|| |
Hello, can this product also be used on stone? For example outside brushed or gloss granite/marble stairs, etc... If not, can you please advise which product would be the most appropriate for outside heavy traffic granite/marble stairs (only the edge of the stairs would be painted for the purpose of blind and partly blinded people, so it also must come in contrast colours like white, black, yellow, dark gray). Thank you very much. Best regards, Gregor
Smartkote Protectakote UVR does not mention granite as a specific substrate it can be applied to, but Smartkote Protectakote Clear Primer Treatment can be used to prepare inorganic surfaces for the subsequent adhesion of Smartkote Protectakote UVR and would be worth testing as an option to meet your requirements.
|Alison on 2019-12-28 17:38:05|| |
I have a campervan with very slippery steps on the driver and the passenger sides. Is there a paint suitable for this application?
Dependant upon what the steps are made from, a primer may be required beofre application of Smartkote Protectakote UVR. 2 coats of this would be recommended following application of any required primer.
|Graham Watts on 2019-11-02 14:57:02|| |
Hello, can the product be applied outside onto painted metal stairs in current autumn conditions ie damp (but not when raining) & below 10 Celsius with the accelerator? In these conditions how long before touch dry?
Compatible previously painted surfaces should be prepared by abrading with a scouring pad or medium grit sandpaper to remove all gloss. Solvent wipe with Xylene, allow to dry and apply Protectakote UVR directly. Surfaces must be dry before application, Smartkote Protectakote UVR Accelerator is available for use below 10°C when extended drying times are undesirable. A table showing the expected drying times can be found in the product description of Smartkote Protectakote UVR Accelerator.
|Vanessa on 2018-08-29 14:07:03|| |
Once this has been applied can a normal oil water based paint be used on top?
|Jenny on 2018-06-18 16:00:40|| |
I want to use Protectakote to repair a cracked shower tray in a caravan. I have sealed the crack with silicon sealant - will the paint adhere to this? Thanks.
We wouldn't recommend Smartkote Protectakote UVR be used for this application.
|naveed Iqbal on 2017-09-25 12:34:09|| |
Question: hi we have a wooden deck and we would like to use protectakote uv . its high use area and council asked us to make it slip proof . please advise if we can use this product. secondly what would be the life of the product in open weather environment. thirdly in case of redoing this painyt in future do we have to sand down the old paint or we can use the paint on top of old paint
Smartkote Protectakote UVR is very durable and we would estimate a life expectancy of 5-10 years dependent upon traffic. When maintenance is required you can simply clean, and over paint.