Smartkote Protectakote Clear Primer Treatment
Smartkote Protectakote Clear Primer Treatment is a single component primer treatment, which can be used to prepare inorganic surfaces for the subsequent adhesion of Smartkote polyurethane coatings. This product ensures excellent adhesion of reactive, solvent-borne urethanes to unreactive inorganic surfaces without changing their appearance.
Please note, the 500ml size is temporarily unavailable.
**Available for delivery - see Delivery Options below**
Smartkote Protectakote Clear Primer Treatment is a single component primer treatment, which can be used to prepare inorganic surfaces for the subsequent adhesion of Smartkote polyurethane coatings. This product ensures excellent adhesion of reactive, solvent-borne urethanes to unreactive inorganic surfaces without changing their appearance. Protectakote Clear Primer Treatment is essential for the application of clear non-slip or clear smooth versions of Smartkote to substrates which generally don’t allow adhesion.
Features & Benefits
- Safe and easy to use.
- Does not acid etch the surface and therefore can be used on a multitude of inorganic surfaces where it will provide superior adhesion without damaging the surface or changing its appearance dramatically.
- Does not create a film that could discolour, but changes the surface by attaching an organic molecule which can subsequently react with urethane.
- Product Uses
- Protectakote Clear Primer Treatment ensures adhesion to marble, glazed tiles, glass, aluminium, mild steel, stainless steel, most other metals and some plastics.
- Minimum 10m² per litre.
- Alternatively, one square metre requires 100ml.
- Remove all contaminants such as dust, dirt and oils. This may be achieved by means of a solvent or soapy water. Dry the surface.
- Aluminium should be lightly abraded first to remove the oxide layer and then solvent wiped, the primer and first coat must be applied within 2 hours to prevent the oxide layer re-forming.
- A fully decontaminated surface will show a water ‘break-free’ surface. The presence of oils on the surface will cause the primer to retreat. If this effect is observed, the surface must be cleaned again and the primer re-applied.
- Using gloves and eye protection, apply the product using a clean and dry paintbrush or roller. The product may also be sprayed using conventional spray equipment for low viscosity liquids.
- It is not necessary to thin the product. Use straight from the tin. Avoid using other containers, which may be contaminated.
- Create a film of the primer treatment on the substrate and allow to dry (20 minutes). Re-apply to any areas, which have been avoided due to surface tension.
- If problems persist in wetting a certain area it may still be contaminated with oil. Clean again and re-apply. Protectakote Clear Primer Treatment does contain a wetting agent and surface tension effects are not expected on an oil-free surface.
- Drying time: Protectakote Clear Primer Treatment evaporates rapidly in a thin film and will be dry and ready for over coating after 20 minutes at all conditions of temperature and humidity
- Over coating window: Once treated (as demonstrated by a slight matting of the surface) the surface must be painted within 6 hours. If this window is exceeded, reapply the treatment.
- Protectakote Clear Primer Treatment contains water and alcohols. Do not allow contamination of your reactive urethane with it- a rapid development of heat and pressure will result. In addition, the ability of the urethane to cure may be reduced.
- The primer produces some self-polymerisate that is evident in the form of a powder left on the surface and some solid material on the bottom of the tin. This is inherent and does not reduce the functioning of the product.
- Half-tins of the product should not be stored for any extended length of time as solidificatoin occurs.
- The product may have reduced active ingredient is there is excessive self-polymerisate evident, but will still function. In such a case, simply use more of it.
- This primer produces a surface whereby hydrogen atoms already present on the surface are modified by the attachment of a single, covalently bonded organosilane molecule. The organic part of this molecule is then available for reaction with Smartkote urethanes. The primer is therefore only one molecule thick and is not visible to the naked eye. The matting effect or the powder that is sometimes visible is self-polymerisate.
- The self-polymerisate powder does not need to be removed prior to application of the urethane. It will be compounded into the urethane and will not be visible.
- For Use On
- Marble, Glazed Tiles, Glass, Aluminium, Mild Steel, Stainless Steel
- Application Method
- Brush, Roller
- VOC Levels
- Low (50-149 g/l)
- Single, Two or Three Pack
- Pack Size
- 1L, 5L, 100ML
- Brush, Roller
- 10m² per litre
- Touch Dry
- UN Number
Be the first to ask a question about this product!