Smartkote Protectakote Accelerator
Smartkote Protectakote Accelerator is a pure, solvent free catalyst used to speed up the drying time of Protectakote non-slip and smooth coatings. Pre-weighed – just add and stir in, long pot life, drying times can be reduced to as little as one hour, humidity and low temperature effects which extend drying times can be reduced.
Smartkote Protectakote Accelerator is a pure, solvent free catalyst used to speed up the drying time of Protectakote non-slip and smooth coatings.
Features & Benefits
- Pre-weighed – just add and stir in.
- Long pot life- accelerated product can be kept for 24-48 hours before thickening occurs.
- Fast drying - Drying times can be reduced to as little as one hour.
- Humidity and low temperature effects which extend drying times can be reduced.
- Lead & heavy metal free.
- Protectakote Accelerator is a second component that can be added to Protectakote to speed up the drying time
- Protectakote Accelerator should only be added where time constraints exist and temperatures are lower than 15°C.
- Protectakote Accelerator should be added to the product just prior to use and stirred in well.
Rate of Addition
- Protectakote Accelerator is supplied in preweighed doses suitable for either 1 litre packs or for 4 litre packs.
- The product is supplied in a 3ml dose for addition to a litre, or an 12ml dose for addition to a 4 litre pack.
- In rare cases two doses may be added- when humidity and/or temperature is very low.
- Protectakote Accelerator can reduce the gloss of the coating if used at normal temperatures.
- Protectakote Accelerator can also increase the incidence of surface defects like pinholes, if used at normal temperatures.
- Stir product well before addition.
- Add the accelerator with stirring.
- Ensure that the accelerator is well mixed in.
- Put the lid back on until you are ready to apply the coating.
- Apply the product as usual if used at low temperature or humidity.
- If used at room temperature to speed up the drying time, apply thinner coats than usual.
- Protectakote Accelerator may reduce the glossiness of the application especially when the humidity is high.
- Protectakote Accelerator is the correct accelerator to use with clear and smooth UVR products but will be ineffective with all textured UVR products. This is due to the different curing mechanism used in clear and smooth Protectakote UVR products.
Do not confuse with Protectakote UVR Accelerator which is available in 20ml and 80ml doses. Addition of Protectakote UVR Accelerator to regular Protectakote will cause lumps to form immediately and render the product useless.
Drying schedule @ 330 microns wet film thickness:
The following table shows approximate drying times of Protectakote at various temperatures with and without the use of accelerator:
|No Accelerator||1 Dose||2 Doses|
|23||3.5 Hours||2 Hours||1.5 Hours|
|20||4.5 Hours||2.5 Hours||2 Hours|
|15||5.5 Hours||3.5 Hours||2.5 Hours|
|10||9 Hours||4.5 Hours||3.5 Hours|
|8||12 Hours||6 Hours||5 Hours|
It is your responsibility to read the Product Data Sheets (available below) before you place an order and prior to application of the product. The content of this website is our best recommendation and is not advice. Coverage rates quoted are approximate, you agree that coverage depends on the condition of the substrate, surface absorption, texture and application method. We ALWAYS recommend a trial area is coated to ensure the product meets your requirements before use.
Be the first to ask a question about this product!
Colour reproduction of the Products on the Site is limited by the technology used to deliver web pages and by the colour representation of Customer’s own monitor and computer set-up. We have made every effort to display as accurately as possible the colours of our Products but we cannot guarantee that the colour shown on Customer’s monitor’s display will accurately reflect the colour of the Product on delivery. We recommend that Customer first purchases the smallest Product available or access an industry standard colour chart in person (and not digitally) to ensure that the colour is acceptable for its purposes. For more information, please see our Terms & Conditions of Sale.Close