PPG NovaGuard 4701
PPG NovaGuard 4701 is a two-part glass flake vinylester primer for concrete and steel as a holding primer for Novaguard 4801.
- Suitable for service temperature >80°C (176°F) when overcoated with NOVAGUARD 4801 dependent on the actual environment.
- Mixing ratio by volume: base to catalyst 98:2
PPG NovaGuard 4701 is a two-part glass flake vinylester primer for concrete and steel as a holding primer for Novaguard 4801. Suitable for >80°C (176°F) service temperature depending on the actual environment when suitably overcoated.
Top Features & Benefits
- Suitable for application to steel or concrete
- Holding primer for NOVAGUARD 4801
- Suitable for service temperature >80°C (176°F) when overcoated with NOVAGUARD 4801 dependent on the actual environment
Basic data at 20°C (68°F)
|Data for Mixed Product|
|Mass density||1.1 kg/l (8.8 lb/US gal)|
|Recommended dry film thickness||45 - 120 µm (1.8 - 4.7 mils)|
|Theoretical spreading rate||18.2 m²/l for 50 µm (730 ft²/US gal for 2.0 mils)|
|9.1 m²/l for 100 µm (365 ft²/US gal for 4.0 mils)|
|Overcoating Interval||1.5 hours|
Note - refer to tables below for information regarding spreading rate and film thickness, overcoating intervals and curing times.
Product contains volatile liquid convertible to solids. Volume solids obtained will vary dependent upon polymerization conditions
Preparation & Application
Recommended Substrate Conditions & Temperatures
- Steel; blast cleaned to ISO Sa2½, SSCP-SP10
- This primer should not be used where there is a risk of contaminant above pH 9
- Dried for at least 28 days in good ventilation conditions
- Moisture content should not exceed 4.5%
- Concrete must be sound, dry, free from laitance and any contamination
- Rough surface; eventually abraded by power tool or diamond abrading tool
Substrate temperature and application conditions
- Substrate temperature during application and curing should be above 10°C (50°F)
- Substrate temperature during application and curing should be at least 3°C (5°F) above dew point
- Relative humidity during application and curing should not exceed 85%
Instructions For Use
Mixing ratio by volume: base to catalyst 98:2
- The reaction between the base component and catalyst is highly exothermic, deviation from the recommended mixing ratio should not be undertaken.
- Pre-mix base component with a pneumatic air mixer at moderate speeds to homogenize the container
- Add the catalyst while stirring the base
- Mix thoroughly before application
- Never add any solvent
- Never add the catalyst without continuous stirring
- Airless pump 30:1 or greater, fit leather or FPTE seals and remove fluid filters, 10 mm diameter (0.375 in) nylon-lined hoses
- Typical tip size is 0.46 – 0.74 mm (0.018 – 0.029 in) with reverse clean and 45° fan pattern
- The size of tip and fan pattern will vary with the nature of the work
- Use pressure to suit hose lengths and working conditions (circa 200 bar)
- For small areas only (touch up and repair)
Note: Surface should be flash blasted to provide physical key
- THINNER 50-02
|Overcoating interval for DFT up to 120 µm (4.7 mils)|
|Overcoating with...||Interval||10°C (50°F)||20°C (68°F)||30°C (86°F)||40°C (104°F)|
|NOVAGUARD 4801||Minimum||3 hours||1.5 hours||1 hour||less than 1 hour|
|Maximum||4 days||3 days||36 hours||24 hours|
- The maximum recoating time will reduce significantly at high temperature or in strong sunlight
- Once the maximum recoating time has been reached, adhesion values attained by an subsequent coat will reduce dramatically
- When this occurs, overcoating should be treated as repair with the coating flash blasted to provide a physical key
- Styrene cannot be used to reactivate the surface of this product and may impair adhesion
- Take care to avoid contamination before application or subsequent coat
|Curing time for DFT up to 120 µm (4.7 mils)|
|Substrate temperature||Dry to handle|
|10°C (50°F)||12 hours|
|20°C (68°F)||8 hours|
|30°C (86°F)||6 hours|
|40°C (86°F)||3 hours|
- Full cure times are irrelevant for this product as it is purely a holding primer
- Adequate ventilation must be maintained during application and curing
- 1 hour at 20°C (68°F)
Note: The pot life will vary substantially with temperature
- Since improper use and handling can be hazardous to health and cause of fire or explosion, safety precautions included with Product Data/Application Instruction and Material Safety Data Sheet must be observed during all storage, handling, use and drying periods
- The catalyst of this product is supplied in small polythene bottles separately from the pigmented base component
- It is a highly reactive, combustible and thermally unstable substance that can undergo self-accelerating decomposition
- It is also a powerful oxidizing agent and will react violently with other organic chemicals
- It is thus recommended to keep in original containers, to hold within the predetermined temperature limits, to prevent contact/contamination with other materials, and to minimize the quantity at the workplace – only have enough present for the job in hand
- The waste of this product should be treated with special care; please contact the manufacturer (PPG) for more details
It is your responsibility to read the Product Data Sheets (available below) before you place an order and prior to application of the product. The content of this website is our best recommendation and is not advice. Coverage rates quoted are approximate, you agree that coverage depends on the condition of the substrate, surface absorption, texture and application method. We ALWAYS recommend a trial area is coated to ensure the product meets your requirements before use.
- Base Type
- Never add any solvent
- Mixing Ratio
- Suitable Substrates
- Steel, concrete
- Key Features
- glass flake vinylester primer for concrete and steel as a holding primer for Novaguard 4801
- Touch Dry (at 20°C)
- Dry to Handle (at 20°C)
- 8 hours
- Dry to Recoat (at 20°C)
- 1.5 hours
- Fully Cured (at 20°C)
- Pot Life (at 20°C)
- 1 hour
- 18.2 m²/l for 50 µm (730 ft²/US gal for 2.0 mils). 9.1 m²/l for 100 µm (365 ft²/US gal for 4.0 mils)
- Recommended Thinner/Cleaner
- PPG Thinner 50-02
- Unit Contents
- Compatible Primers
- Compatible Topcoats
- PPG NovaGuard 4801
- 1.1 kg/l (8.8 lb/US gal)
- Solids by Volume
Be the first to ask a question about this product!
PPG NovaGuard 4801 is a two-component, glass-flake reinforced novolac vinyl ester high-performance coating for new or old steel. Its excellent resistance to chemicals at high temperatures and (in)organic acids make it ideal for high temperature immersion, and can be used over the of Novaguard 4701 on concrete. 2-part system (Mixing ratio by...
A high solids corrosion resistant primer or intermediate coat over steel and inorganic zinc primers. Top Features Excellent corrosion protection Good abrasion resistance Cures down to 40°F
International Interplus 256 is a low VOC, two component internally flexibilised high build surface tolerant epoxy primer. It is pigmented with aluminium and lamellar micaceous iron oxide for improved corrosion resistance and represents the second generation in surface tolerant technology.
Jotun Penguard Express ZP is a two component amine cured epoxy coating that is a fast drying, zinc phosphate pigmented, high solids, high build product. Specially designed for new construction where fast dry to handle and over coating times are required. Can be used as a primer, mid coat, finish coat or as a single coat system in atmospheric...
An all-purpose immersion-grade epoxy that can be used direct to metal as a corrosion resistant primer or as an intermediate coating over other primers. Top Features Low temperature cure (20°F) Excellent corrosion protection Excellent application characteristics Fast recoat times
Jotun Penguard Express B12 is a fast drying, micaceous iron oxide (MIO) pigmented, high solids, high build product that can be used as a primer, mid coat, finish coat or as a single coat system. Approved to meet the requirements of UK Highway Agency Item 112 for use on bridges and highway infrastructure.
Sherwin-Williams Macropoxy K267 (formerly known as Epigrip K267/Transgard TG121) is a two-pack, pigmented with micaceous iron oxide, designed as an intermediate coat in conjuction with Macropoxy high performance primers.
PPG SigmaShield 420 is a two-component, reinforced high solids polyamine adduct cured epoxy coating, ideal as a coating for cargo tanks of bulk or oil carriers and storage tanks. Buildcoat for underwater and boottop systems Excellent abrasion and impact resistance, with outstanding water resistance, including seawater No induction time...
Tor Zinc Rich Brushing Primer, a protective primer for steel prior to overcoating, with a first-class finish for galvanised touch-up. High zinc content steel primer Metallic zinc dust in a modified alkyd medium and thinned with aromatic hydrocarbon solvents Applies by brush or roller Good coverage, with up to 10 square metres per litre...
Rust-Oleum 3369/3380 CombiPrimer Anti-Corrosion is a high quality anti-rust primer for Rust-Oleum CombiColor. The Anti-Corrosion Primer will ensure an even longer anti-rust protection on new or rusted steel surfaces and provides and enhances protection against corrosion.
International Intercure 324 is a two component, high solids, low VOC, epoxy zinc phosphate/micaceous iron oxide primer offering excellent barrier protection, low temperature cure and rapid overcoating properties. Pigmented with zinc phosphate anti-corrosive pigment to comply with the requirements of BS5493:1977.
Jotun Penguard HSP MIO is a two component polyamide cured epoxy coating that is a fast drying, micaceous iron oxide (MIO) pigmented, high solids, high build product. Can be used as a primer or a mid coat in atmospheric environments. Specially designed for new construction where fast dry to handle and over coating times are required.
Rust-Oleum 1060/1080 High Build Metal Primer is for extra protection of bare or blasted metal, offers maximum durability under severely corrosive conditions. It assures appropriate protection under light industrial exposure conditions, if applied on a Rust-Oleum metal primer followed by Rust-Oleum 7500 Alkythane.
International Interprime 539 is a single component modified polyvinyl butyral, phosphoric acid etch primer free from zinc chromate. Intended for use as a pretreatment primer designed to promote adhesion and seal the surface of non-ferrous metals such as aluminium, copper, brass, cadmium, zinc and nickel.
An aluminium-filled epoxy for steel and concrete that has excellent resistance to water exposures. This coating exhibits outstanding moisture and surface tolerance during application, low temperature cure capability, and very fast cure response for quick return to service. Top Features Aluminium flakes provide exceptional barrier...
Quick Air Dry High Build Primer for blasted and non-blasted steel, a one-pack post-fabrication primer that dries fast for a quick turnaround. Suitable for use in mild to moderate corrosive environments, such as those typically found in commercial buildings, hospitals and schools. Features: Overcoatable with Cromadex 222, 233 & 400...
A low-temperature and rapid curing primer/finish with an extended recoat window. Provides excellent corrosion resistance as a primer, intermediate or finish on steel substrates. Top Features Low temperature cure characteristics. Rapid handling for in-shop applications. Low yellowing compared to other epoxies. VOC compliant to current...