PPG NovaGuard 4701
PPG NovaGuard 4701 is a two-part glass flake vinylester primer for concrete and steel as a holding primer for Novaguard 4801.
- Suitable for service temperature >80°C (176°F) when overcoated with NOVAGUARD 4801 dependent on the actual environment.
- Mixing ratio by volume: base to catalyst 98:2
PPG NovaGuard 4701 is a two-part glass flake vinylester primer for concrete and steel as a holding primer for Novaguard 4801. Suitable for >80°C (176°F) service temperature depending on the actual environment when suitably overcoated.
Top Features & Benefits
- Suitable for application to steel or concrete
- Holding primer for NOVAGUARD 4801
- Suitable for service temperature >80°C (176°F) when overcoated with NOVAGUARD 4801 dependent on the actual environment
Basic data at 20°C (68°F)
|Data for Mixed Product|
|Mass density||1.1 kg/l (8.8 lb/US gal)|
|Recommended dry film thickness||45 - 120 µm (1.8 - 4.7 mils)|
|Theoretical spreading rate||18.2 m²/l for 50 µm (730 ft²/US gal for 2.0 mils)|
|9.1 m²/l for 100 µm (365 ft²/US gal for 4.0 mils)|
|Overcoating Interval||1.5 hours|
Note - refer to tables below for information regarding spreading rate and film thickness, overcoating intervals and curing times.
Product contains volatile liquid convertible to solids. Volume solids obtained will vary dependent upon polymerization conditions
Preparation & Application
Recommended Substrate Conditions & Temperatures
- Steel; blast cleaned to ISO Sa2½, SSCP-SP10
- This primer should not be used where there is a risk of contaminant above pH 9
- Dried for at least 28 days in good ventilation conditions
- Moisture content should not exceed 4.5%
- Concrete must be sound, dry, free from laitance and any contamination
- Rough surface; eventually abraded by power tool or diamond abrading tool
Substrate temperature and application conditions
- Substrate temperature during application and curing should be above 10°C (50°F)
- Substrate temperature during application and curing should be at least 3°C (5°F) above dew point
- Relative humidity during application and curing should not exceed 85%
Instructions For Use
Mixing ratio by volume: base to catalyst 98:2
- The reaction between the base component and catalyst is highly exothermic, deviation from the recommended mixing ratio should not be undertaken.
- Pre-mix base component with a pneumatic air mixer at moderate speeds to homogenize the container
- Add the catalyst while stirring the base
- Mix thoroughly before application
- Never add any solvent
- Never add the catalyst without continuous stirring
- Airless pump 30:1 or greater, fit leather or FPTE seals and remove fluid filters, 10 mm diameter (0.375 in) nylon-lined hoses
- Typical tip size is 0.46 – 0.74 mm (0.018 – 0.029 in) with reverse clean and 45° fan pattern
- The size of tip and fan pattern will vary with the nature of the work
- Use pressure to suit hose lengths and working conditions (circa 200 bar)
- For small areas only (touch up and repair)
Note: Surface should be flash blasted to provide physical key
- THINNER 50-02
|Overcoating interval for DFT up to 120 µm (4.7 mils)|
|Overcoating with...||Interval||10°C (50°F)||20°C (68°F)||30°C (86°F)||40°C (104°F)|
|NOVAGUARD 4801||Minimum||3 hours||1.5 hours||1 hour||less than 1 hour|
|Maximum||4 days||3 days||36 hours||24 hours|
- The maximum recoating time will reduce significantly at high temperature or in strong sunlight
- Once the maximum recoating time has been reached, adhesion values attained by an subsequent coat will reduce dramatically
- When this occurs, overcoating should be treated as repair with the coating flash blasted to provide a physical key
- Styrene cannot be used to reactivate the surface of this product and may impair adhesion
- Take care to avoid contamination before application or subsequent coat
|Curing time for DFT up to 120 µm (4.7 mils)|
|Substrate temperature||Dry to handle|
|10°C (50°F)||12 hours|
|20°C (68°F)||8 hours|
|30°C (86°F)||6 hours|
|40°C (86°F)||3 hours|
- Full cure times are irrelevant for this product as it is purely a holding primer
- Adequate ventilation must be maintained during application and curing
- 1 hour at 20°C (68°F)
Note: The pot life will vary substantially with temperature
- Since improper use and handling can be hazardous to health and cause of fire or explosion, safety precautions included with Product Data/Application Instruction and Material Safety Data Sheet must be observed during all storage, handling, use and drying periods
- The catalyst of this product is supplied in small polythene bottles separately from the pigmented base component
- It is a highly reactive, combustible and thermally unstable substance that can undergo self-accelerating decomposition
- It is also a powerful oxidizing agent and will react violently with other organic chemicals
- It is thus recommended to keep in original containers, to hold within the predetermined temperature limits, to prevent contact/contamination with other materials, and to minimize the quantity at the workplace – only have enough present for the job in hand
- The waste of this product should be treated with special care; please contact the manufacturer (PPG) for more details
It is your responsibility to read the Product Data Sheets (available below) before you place an order and prior to application of the product. The content of this website is our best recommendation and is not advice. Coverage rates quoted are approximate, you agree that coverage depends on the condition of the substrate, surface absorption, texture and application method. We ALWAYS recommend a trial area is coated to ensure the product meets your requirements before use.
- Base Type
- Never add any solvent
- Mixing Ratio
- Suitable Substrates
- Steel, concrete
- Key Features
- glass flake vinylester primer for concrete and steel as a holding primer for Novaguard 4801
- Touch Dry (at 20°C)
- Dry to Handle (at 20°C)
- 8 hours
- Dry to Recoat (at 20°C)
- 1.5 hours
- Fully Cured (at 20°C)
- Pot Life (at 20°C)
- 1 hour
- 18.2 m²/l for 50 µm (730 ft²/US gal for 2.0 mils). 9.1 m²/l for 100 µm (365 ft²/US gal for 4.0 mils)
- Recommended Thinner/Cleaner
- PPG Thinner 50-02
- Unit Contents
- Compatible Primers
- Compatible Topcoats
- PPG NovaGuard 4801
- 1.1 kg/l (8.8 lb/US gal)
- Solids by Volume
Be the first to ask a question about this product!
PPG NovaGuard 4801 is a two-component, glass-flake reinforced novolac vinyl ester high-performance coating for new or old steel. Its excellent resistance to chemicals at high temperatures and (in)organic acids make it ideal for high temperature immersion, and can be used over the of Novaguard 4701 on concrete. 2-part system (Mixing ratio by...
A heavy duty, high build primer or intermediate coating for protection of steel in corrosive environments. Can be used on aluminium and galvanization. Top Features Fast overcoatable with 2K topcoats Excellent anti-corrosive properties Excellent flowability, also at low DFT Very good abrasion resistance
Nullifire PM015 Aluminium Epoxy Primer is a high-build, low temperature curing modified aluminium epoxy mastic. Nullifire PM015 provides unequaled levels or barrier protection and corrosion resistance over existing finishes and rusted or St2/St3 cleaned steel.
Tor QD High Build Phosphate Primer, a quick drying high build anti-corrosive primer for blast cleaned or mechanically cleaned mild steel. Applied by spraying, the primer is touch dry in 1 hour and hard dry in 4 hours. Anti-corrosion protection for cleaned mild steel An alkyd resin binder with zinc phosphate anti-corrosive pigment, together...
Jotun Penguard HSP is a two component polyamide cured epoxy coating that is fast drying, high solids and high build. This Jotun product can be used as a primer or mid coat in atmospheric environments, specially designed for new construction where fast dry to handle and over coating times are required.
Duram NS1 Rust Buster, a rust converter and primer stopping rust in its tracks with proven corrosion-fighting properties. Scientifically formulated, it chemically reacts with rust on a variety of metal surfaces and converts it into a stable, solid compound that’s ready for further priming and painting, turning from a cream-colour to blue-black...
International Interplate 937 is a two pack, heat resistant zinc silicate shop (pre-construction) primer providing good corrosion protection (even after heating up to 800°C (1472°F)), with minimum production of zinc salts. Suitable for high speed welding and cutting with excellent resistance to damage caused by welding, gas cutting and fairing....
Tor Quick Drying Red Oxide Primer prepares steel components and fabrications for overcoating with compatible topcoats, dry and ready in just 1 hour. Can be applied by brush, short pile roller or airless spray. An alkyd binder pigmented with inert inorganic pigments and thinned with an aromatic hydrocarbon solvent blend Not suitable for use...
Teamac Rapidry HB Zinc Phosphate Primer, is a high build, high performance quick drying metal primer. It has excellent anti-corrosive properties. Anti-corrosive Rapid drying Use on iron Use on Steel Semi-Matt Finish Click to jump down to Technical Data
Sherwin-Williams Macropoxy C400W (formerly known as Epigrip C400W) is a multi-functional epoxy zinc phosphate coating specified for use as a primer on blast cleaned structural steel for internal and external environments. Sherwin-Williams Macropoxy C400W may also be used as a high build intermediate coat as well as the final coat where a low...
Cromadex Monozinc One Pack Zinc-Rich Primer is a one pack, zinc-rich primer. Based on epoxy ester resin it is heat resistant to 400°C. It provides galvanic protection to new steelwork and can also be used to repair two pack zinc-rich primers. Monozinc contains more than 90% Zinc in the dry film.
A fast-drying steel primer that provides corrosion protection on structural steel. Well suited for fabrication shops that need fast cure to dry and handle times. Top Features Rapid cure and fast-drying VOC compliant for most areas Good for filling properties on rough and pitted steel
Tor QD Universal Primer prepares steel and dries quickly for overcoating in 1-2 hours with quick drying and conventional alkyd finishes. An alkyd binder pigmented with inert inorganic pigments and thinned with an aromatic hydrocarbon solvent blend. Not suitable for overcoating with chlorinated rubber or 2 pack finishes. Good coverage...
Jotun Penguard Tie Coat 100 is a two component polyamide cured high molecular weight epoxy coating specially designed as a tie coat/sealer on top of inorganic zinc silicate primers, galvanised steel and thermally sprayed zinc. To be used as a primer in a complete system in atmospheric environments. Recommended for offshore environments,...
Tor Adheron Metal Primer, a general purpose quick-drying anti-corrosive primer/finish for steel that can be applied by brush, roller or spray. Designed to give a tough but flexible primer/finish, the primer can be overcoated with conventional alkyd and chlorinated rubber finishes after just 4 hours. Additional coats of Tor Adheron Metal Primer...
A high-solids, zinc-filled epoxy primer for corrosion protection of structural steel in highly corrosive environments including offshore, marine and industrial. Top Features Protects steel galvanically Outstanding application properties Tough and abrasion resistant film
International Interplus 770 is a low VOC, two component, high solids, internally flexibilised, surface tolerant epoxy primer/intermediate coating intended for use as a versatile, high performance maintenance coating to upgrade tightly adhering existing coatings to longer life durable systems.