Zinsser Bulls Eye 1-2-3 is an all-surface, all-purpose, water-based primer for maintenance and decoration projects that require a stain-blocker and mould-resistant coating in one. Get great adhesion to glossy surfaces, ferrous metal substrates, glass, and previously varnished woods without the need to sand or de-gloss previous coatings. And, Bulls Eye 1-2-3 is recoatable after just one hour – making it ideal for most workplace maintenance and repair tasks.
Every maintenance and project manager should have Bulls Eye 1-2-3 to hand to; cover ink and water stains quickly; hide offensive graffiti and marker pens on walls with one coating; get rid of nicotine, smoke stains and smoke damage, whilst also covering nasty, stagnant odours; bind chalky exterior surfaces, like aluminium, vinyl, or previously painted and decorated siding or trims; protection of surfaces from blistering, peeling, cracking or chipping, and keeping the topcoat looking great for years ahead; sealing porous surfaces and delivering a rust-inhibitive coating to iron railings, steel doors, metal panels, piping, and galvanised guttering.
Click To Jump To Section:
Features & Benefits
- Interior and exterior
- Available in white and 7 mid-tone colours
- Fast drying – may be recoated in 1 hour
- Adheres to glossy surfaces without pre-sanding or deglossing
- Rust inhibitive coating
- Resists mould and mildew on primer film
- High pH resistance (up to 12.5)
- Seals common graffiti stains
- Excellent enamel undercoat
- Compatible with oil or latex topcoats
- Clean up with soapy water
||Zinsser Bulls Eye 1-2-3
||1.8kg / litre
||@ 60° / 3-day cure 23% (satin)
||1.0% gloss change
||100 – 110 KU
|Theoretical Coverage Rate:
||10m² per litre. Coverage may vary with surface porosity
||(ASTM-84-97A) 5, Class 1
||(ASTM-84-97A) 0, Class 1
||Less than 30g / litre
||Not intended for blocking heavy water stains or for application to floors, decks, roof surfaces or any surface subject to immersion or prolonged contact with water.
||2 years in unopened containers
- Apply to interior and exterior – walls, ceilings, doors, trim, fascia, soffits, foundations, railings, and related paintable surfaces.
- Bulls Eye 1-2-3® bonds to wood, plaster, concrete, gloss enamels, hardboard, glass and tile. Provides a rust inhibitive coating on iron railings, steel frames, piping, etc
- Resists the growth of mould and mildew on primer film in damp, humid environments
- Resistant to high pH surfaces (up to 12.5) including plaster, poured concrete, concrete block, stucco and ‘hot’ joint / texture compounds
- Seals porous surfaces and traps most stains in the primer film – graffiti, grease, rust, cedar and redwood tannin, creosote, and asphalt stains. Some stains may require a second coat
- Interior Substrates– New or previously painted drywall, cured plaster, cement, poured concrete, concrete block, stucco, wood (pine, fir, birch, oak and plywood), aluminium, iron, steel and galvanised metal, PVC, glossy laminates and other interior surfaces
- Recommended for all types of wood
- New or previously painted pine, fir, cedar, redwood, plywood, T-111, and pressure treated wood
- Metal (aluminium, steel, iron, and galvanised metal),
- Masonry (stucco, concrete block, poured concrete and brick)
- Rust inhibitive– Dries to a tight, water resistant film that inhibits development and spread of rust on meta
Mould and Mildew Resistance
- Resists the growth of mould and mildew on the primer film. High pH Resistance – Can be applied to high pH surfaces (up to 12.5) without bubbling, lifting, or degrading due to high alkalinity making it an ideal primer for concrete, stucco, plaster, and fast setting joint / texture compounds
- Adheres to glossy enamel paints and clear finishes, Formica®, Masonite®, PVC, fibreglass, vinyl – even ceramic tile – without pre-sanding or surface deglossing.
Cedar and Redwood Bleed
- Traps tannins in the primer film to prevent them from ‘bleeding’ into the finish coat. For best results, allow to dry overnight before applying topcoat. Very porous woods may require two coats before topcoat
- Contains chalk-binding resins for use on moderately chalked aluminium or previously painted siding and trim
|Drying Time (24°C / 50% RH)
|Dry to Touch
||Dry to Recoat
||Full Scrape Cure
||2 Hours / Tannin 24 Hours
- At normal temperatures Bulls Eye® 1-2-3 will dry to touch in 30 minutes and can be recoated after one hour
- Topcoat within 30 days
- Lower temperatures, higher humidity, and the addition of tint will prolong dry and cure time of the product
- Full adhesion and hardness develop in 7 days
- Surfaces should be clean, dry, sound, and free of dust, dirt, excessive chalky material, grime, grease, oil, wax, mould, wallpaper adhesive or any contamination that may interfere with adhesion. If unsure, always wash surface with a household cleaner, appropriate cleaning solution, or solvent
- Clean new galvanised with methylated spirit
- Remove any unsoundly adhered coatings
- Sand any remaining paint film edges smooth with the surface
- New plaster which is polished or dusty should be sealed with Zinsser Gardz®.
- Lightly sand exposed exterior wood with 80 to 100 grit sandpaper to remove loose or weathered wood fibres
- When priming over stained areas, first attempt to remove as much of the stain as possible by washing, sanding, scraping, etc.
- Remove mould and treat area with Blackfriar Fungicidal Wash, or Zinsser Mould Killer & Remover
- Wire brush rusty areas. Spot prime knots and sap streaks with Zinsser B-I-N® Primer-Sealer
- Warning: If you scrape, sand, or remove old paint, you may release lead dust
Special precautions should be taken during the surface preparation of pre 1960’s paint surfaces over wood and metal as they may contain harmful lead. When dry sanding avoid dust inhalation by wearing a suitable protective face mask.
||Shake or stir before using.
||Synthetic bristle brush, roller, or pad
||If thinning is required add no more than 78ml clean water per litre and apply a second coat of primer.
||Bulls Eye® 1-2-3 can be tinted with up to 16ml of universal tinter per litre. Tinting the primer toward the colour of the topcoat helps it hide in one coat. For mid-tone to deep colours use Bulls Eye® 1-2-3 Deep Tint.
||10% - 85%
||12% max moisture content
- Application: Ready to use - no dilution necessary. In most cases only one coat is necessary. Porous surfaces may require two coats to properly seal. Prime entire surface for best results
- Thinning: If thinning is necessary add no more than 10 % clean water and stir thoroughly. Note that thinning the primer may affect its stain blocking properties
- Clean up: Clean application tools with warm water and liquid detergent or household cleaner. Work solution into bristles/nap and rinse well. If Bulls Eye® 1-2-3 dries, use Zinsser BIN Brush Cleaner to remove dried paint on brushes
- Disposal: Dispose of unused or unwanted product in accordance with local laws regulating water-based coatings
Health & Safety