Mapei Mapemortar HB R3
A medium strength, high build, shrinkage compensated repair mortar for repairing damaged concrete surfaces in overhead, vertical and horizontal situations, where a medium strength high build mortar is required.
- Meets EN 1504-3 R3 classification
- Repair of damaged concrete surfaces, corners of beams, columns and other concrete members damaged by corroded steel
- Repairs to bridges, culverts and diaphragms etc
- Repairs to concrete walls and tunnel linings
- Repairs to concrete segments
- Repairs to balconies and soffits
- For professional use only
Please note: Mapei products have a minimum spend of £100 (excluding any other manufacturer or range in the basket) excluding VAT.
Mapemortar HB R3 is a premixed powder mortar composed of cement, graded aggregates and special additives.
Quick Links - Click To Jump To Section:
- Features & Benefits
- Technical Characteristics
- Application Procedure
- Precautions To Be Taken During And After Application
- Technical Data
When fully cured Mapemortar HB R3:
- Has moderate flexural and compressive strength
- Has a modulus of elasticity, thermal expansion coefficient and permeability coefficient similar to medium strength concrete
- Has excellent adhesion to existing concrete surfaces providing they have been pre-soaked and still damp with clean water
- Reinforcing bars should be treated with Mapefer or Mapefer 1K
When mixed with water Mapemortar HB R3 forms an easy to apply high build mortar that can be applied without slumping even in substantial thicknesses on vertical surfaces without the aid of formwork.
If Mapemortar HB R3 is prepared by only adding water, it should be cured under damp conditions in order to guarantee that the products expansive properties develop correctly and completely.
Mapemortar HB R3 meets the requirements defined by EN 1504-9 (“Products and systems for the protection and repair of concrete structures - Definitions, requirements, quality control and evaluation of conformity - General principles for the use of products and systems”) and the minimum requirements claimed by EN 1504-3 (“Structural and non-structural repair”) for structural mortars of class R3.
- Do not use Mapemortar HB R3 to repair structures subject to high compressive loads, high impact or abrasion: use Mapegrout T60 or Mapegrout Thixotropic instead
- Do not use Mapemortar HB R3 on smooth concrete surfaces. Roughen the surface thoroughly and add reinforcing steel if required
- Do not use Mapemortar HB R3 for anchoring (use Mapefill GP)
- Do not add water once the mix has started to set
- Do not add cement or admixtures to the Mapemortar HB R3
- Do not use Mapemortar HB R3 at temperatures below 5°C
- Do not use Mapemortar HB R3 if the bag is damaged or has been previously used
- Always use full bag mixes
Preparing the substrate
Remove degraded and damaged concrete until the substrate is solid, resistant and rough. Any previous repair work that is no longer thoroughly bonded should be removed.
Gritblast the concrete and reinforcing bars to ensure any corrosion is removed as well as any dirt, concrete laitance, grease, oils or coatings.
Saturate the substrate with clean water. Before repairing with Mapemortar HB R3, wait until the excess water has evaporated. To facilitate this the use of compressed air may be required. A slurry made from Mapemortar HB R3 could be used if it is not possible to pre- soak the substrate.
Preparing the mortar
Measure the amount of clean water needed into the mixer to obtain the required consistency for the application.
Application: Litres of water required, per 25KG bag:
- Trowel/Hand application 3.4-3.6 ltrs
Start the mixer and slowly add the Mapemortar HB R3 to the water in a continuous way.
Mix for 1-2 minutes, then make sure that the mix is well blended. Scrape any unblended powder from the bottom and sides of the mixing drum, and then mix for a further 3 minutes.
Either a forced action mixer or a suitable drill and paddle may be used according to the amount of mortar required.
Mixing must be carried out at low speeds to avoid air being entrapped in the mix.
Avoid mixing manually unless absolutely necessary. If so, mix small amounts at a time for at least 5 to 6 minutes until a completely homogeneous mix is achieved.
It is important, to keep in mind if mixing by hand more water will be required. This will affect the mortars characteristics including its mechanical strength, shrinkage and impermeability.
Mapemortar HB R3 remains workable for approximately 40 mins at 20°C.
The expansion of Mapemortar HB R3 is calculated to compensate for plastic shrinkage. For it to be effective the substrate needs to be adequately reinforced with rebars or forms. The expansion phase ends during the first days of curing
The Mapemortar HB R3 can be applied by trowel or by gloved hand on vertical surfaces or overhead situations with or without formwork to a depth of 70mm per layer.
Reinforcing bars should be treated with Mapefer or Mapefer 1K before applying the Mapemortar HB R3. Where required apply a second layer of Mapemortar HB R3 before the previous layer has cured.
The complete system calls for smoothing with Planitop 200, Monofinish or Mapelastic and then protecting with Elastocolor Paint.
Only use bags of Mapemortar HB R3 which have been stored on their original pallets and covered and stored in a dry place. In warm weather do not expose the material to direct sunlight. Use clean cold water to prepare the mix. Store in a cool place At low temperatures prepare the mix with water that has been heated to approx. 20°C.
After applying Mapemortar HB R3, we recommend that it is cured carefully, especially in hot and windy conditions, to avoid the water evaporating too quickly and causing the formation of surface cracks due to plastic shrinkage. Spray water on the surface 8-12 hours after applying the mortar, and repeat the operation every 3-4 hours for at least the first 48 hours. As an alternative after smoothing the mortar apply a coating of either Mapecure E or Mapecure S.
If a coating is to be applied to the repair areas then the Mapecure should be removed by a light Gritblast, alternatively a coat of Elastocolor Primer can be used as the curing membrane followed by the final protective layer of Elastocolor Paint or Elastocolor Rasante without removing the primer coat.
Mortar that has not yet hardened can be removed from tools with water. If the mortar has set then mechanical methods of cleaning will need to be adopted.
Approx. 16.5 kg/m² per cm of thickness.
- For Use By
- Professional Use
- Interior / Exterior Use
- Exterior Use
- For Use On
- Application Method
- Single, Two or Three Pack
- Pack Size
- Mixing Ratio
- 100 parts of Mapemortar HB R3 with 13.5-14.5 parts of water (approximately 3.4-3.6 litres of water per 25 kg bags)
- Approx. 16.5 kg/m² per cm of thickness.
- Max. Application Temperature
- Min. Application Temperature
- Mixed: 1800kg/m³
- Pot Life
- approx. 40 mins
- Suitable For Use On
- Application Method
- R3 Class
- Product Type
- Colour Family
Be the first to ask a question about this product!
IMPORTANT SHIPPING & DELIVERY INFORMATION
Mapei Mapemortar HB R3 is only available with the shipping and delivery timescales listed below - please do not contact our Customer Support Team with enquiries about alternative or earlier shipping and delivery times.
Saturdays and Sundays, as well as Bank Holidays, are not classed as working days.
Orders placed after the cut-off for this product will not be processed for earliest dispatch until 9am the next working day.
All delivery costs below are excluding VAT