Mapei Mapelastic Turbo
- Waterproofing balconies, terraces, flat roofs, swimming pools before bonding ceramic, mosaic or natural stone floor and wall coverings
- Waterproofing terraces and balconies by overlaying on existing floor coverings before bonding new flooring
For professional use only
Quick Links - Click To Jump To Section:
- Suitable for tiling after around 4 hours in normal weather conditions and within 24 hours at temperatures down to +5°C
- Also suitable for substrates not completely dry as long as they are well cured
- Rain-fast after just a few hours, including at low temperatures and in high levels of R.H. (relative humidity)
- CE marking according to EN 14891 and EN 1504-2 standards
- Resistant to UV rays
- Also suitable for overlaying existing ceramic, all types of mosaic and natural stone floor and wall coverings
- Product certified EC1 R Plus by the GEV Institute (Gemeinschaft Emissions-kontrollierte Verlegewerkstoffe, e.V.) as a product with very low emission of volatile organic compounds
- Two-component, cementitious binder-based mortar with fine-grained selected aggregates, special admixtures and synthetic polymers in water dispersion
- Special formulation allows work to be carried out more quickly than with any other product at low temperatures and on substrates that are not completely dry
- The Turbo version has the same resistance to chemical attack from de-icing salts, sulphates, chlorides and carbon dioxide that guarantees the durability of Mapelastic over the years
- When the two components are mixed together they form a fluid mix with good workability
- Applied in two layers, with alkali-resistant reinforcement embedded between the layers (such as Mapenet 150 or Mapetex Sel), to form a total thickness of at least 2 mm
- Excellent adhesion on all concrete surfaces and cementitious screeds, as well as ceramic, mosaics, natural stone and terrazzo, as long as they are well bonded to the substrate and prepared as specified.
- Setting time allows surfaces to be waterproofed and floor and wall coverings to be bonded within 24 hours when used in conjunction with a rapid adhesive from the MAPEI range, even if the surrounding conditions are not ideal
- Mapelastic Turbo complies with the principles defined in EN 1504-9 (“Products and systems for protecting and repairing concrete structures: definitions, requirements, quality control and conformity assessment. General principles for the use of products and systems”) and the requirements of EN 1504-2 coating (C) according to principles PI, MC and IR (“Concrete surface protection systems”). Mapelastic Turbo meets the requirements of EN 14891 (“Liquid-applied water impermeable products for use beneath ceramic tiling bonded with adhesives”).
Preparation of the substrate
- CEMENTITIOUS SCREEDS:
- Seal cracks caused by settling of the screed or hygrometric shrinkage with Eporip before applying the product
- To integrate layers up to 3 cm thick (such as to create slopes or fill hollows, etc.) use Planitop Fast 330 or Adesilex P4
- Substrates with a dusty surface must be consolidated with Primer 3296 diluted 1:1 with water before applying the product
- LIGHTWEIGHT SCREEDS:
- Lay a sheet of polyethylene over lightweight screeds and then install a reinforced cementitious screed more than 3.5 cm thick (made from Topcem or Topcem Pronto for example)
- EXISTING FLOOR AND WALL COVERINGS:
- Existing ceramic, stone, terracotta etc. floor and wall coverings must be well bonded to the substrate and must be completely free of substances that could affect adhesion, such as grease, oil, wax, varnish, etc.
- To remove traces of material that may affect the adhesion of Mapelastic Turbo, clean the surface with a mixture of water and 30% caustic soda, and then thoroughly rinse with clean water to eliminate all traces of the cleaning solution
- Alternatively, roughen the surface with suitable power tools and remove all traces of dust.
Waterproofing construction features
- In the waterproofing sector, more than in any other sector, it is essential that particular attention is paid to construction features. For this reason it is important to use products from the Mapeband and Drain ranges together with Mapelastic Turbo when waterproofing such features
- Mapeband TPE is used to seal structural joints and all other breaks in the covering that are subjected to repeated movements, while Mapeband, Mapeband Easy and Mapeband SA are used to waterproof fillet joints between horizontal and vertical elements and check joints. Special kits are also available from the Drain range to seal drainage points
- It is absolutely imperative that special care is taken in these critical areas after levelling off and cleaning the substrate and before applying the cementitious waterproofing mortar
Preparation of the mortar
- Pour component B (liquid) into a suitable clean container and slowly add component A (powder) while stirring with a mixer
- Carefully mix the blend for several minutes then remove any powder which has stuck to the sides and bottom of the container
- Keep mixing until completely blended (minimum 3 minutes). A mechanical mixer at low speed is recommended for this operation to prevent entraining too much air into the mix
- Avoid mixing the product manually
Application of the mortar
Mapelastic Turbo remains workable in the tub for more than 45 minutes.
After preparing the surface, apply a skim coat of Mapelastic Turbo using the smooth side of a trowel. Apply a layer of product over the skim coat while it is still wet with the edge of a notched trowel and lay Mapenet 150 alkali-resistant, glass fibre reinforcing mesh over this layer. After positioning the mesh, go over the surface with the smooth side of the trowel. When the first layer of Mapelastic Turbo has hardened (around one hour in good weather conditions), apply a second layer using the smooth side of the trowel so that it completely covers the reinforcing mesh.
To further improve the extension at failure and crack-bridging properties of Mapelastic Turbo, we recommend using Mapetex Sel non-woven, perforated polypropylene fabric instead of Mapenet 150. Apply a first layer of Mapelastic Turbo at least 1 mm thick with the smooth side of a trowel and embed Mapetex Sel in this layer, pressing down on it with the smooth side of the trowel so that it is completely embedded. Once the first layer has completely hardened apply the second layer so that it completely covers the fabric, then go over the surface with the smooth side of the trowel. After applying the second layer of Mapelastic Turbo, the waiting time before bonding the covering varies from 3 to 16 hours, depending on the surrounding conditions.
Bonding coverings on Mapelastic Turbo
- BALCONIES AND TERRACES:
- Use a C2 class cementitious adhesive such as Keraflex, Keraflex Maxi S1 or Ultralite S1, or alternatively a C2F class adhesive such as Granirapid, Elastorapid or Ultralite S1 Quick for rapid bonding work and at low temperatures
- Grout the joints with a CG2 class cementitious product such as Keracolor FF or Keracolor GG mixed with Fugolastic or alternatively Ultracolor Plus
- Seal joints with a specific MAPEI flexible sealant (such as Mapeflex PU45 FT, Mapeflex AC or Mapesil LM
- SWIMMING POOLS:
- Bond ceramic tiles using a C2 class cementitious adhesive (Keraflex, Keraflex Maxi S1 or Ultralite S1) or a C2F class rapid adhesive (Granirapid, Elastorapid or Ultralite S1 Quick). For mosaic on the other hand, use Adesilex P10 + Isolastic mixed with 50% water (class C2ES1)
- Grout the joints with a CG2 class cementitious product (Keracolor FF/Keracolor GG mixed with Fugolastic or Ultracolor Plus) or with an RG class epoxy product from the Kerapoxy range
- Seal the joints with Mapesil AC silicone sealant
Because of the high adhesion of Mapelastic Turbo, including on metals, we recommend cleaning tools with water before the mortar starts to set. Once hardened, cleaning must be carried out mechanically
Coverage rate: Approximately 2.4 kg/m² (for two coats of product with reinforcement embedded between the two layers). N.B.: the consumption figures indicated are for a seamless layer on a flat surface and are higher if applied on uneven substrates.
- Do not use Mapelastic Turbo for thick layers (more than 2 mm per layer)
- Only apply Mapelastic Turbo if the temperature is above +5°C
- Do not add cement, aggregates or water to Mapelastic Turbo
- Do not apply Mapelastic Turbo on lightweight substrates
- In hot weather, do not expose the product to direct sunlight before use (powder and liquid)
- Do not apply Mapelastic Turbo on substrates that have not been cured as specified
- Place the reinforcement on the first layer of product while it is still wet
- For Use By
- Professional Use
- Interior / Exterior Use
- Interior & Exterior use
- Application Method
- Single, Two or Three Pack
- Pack Size
- 20kg, 16kg, 10kg, 8kg
- Approximately 2.4 kg/m² (for two coats of product with reinforcement embedded between the two layers).Approximately 2.4 kg/m² (for two coats of product with reinforcement embedded between the two layers).
- Max. Application Temperature
- Min. Application Temperature
- Shelf Life (from date of manufacture)
- Part A: 12 months
Part B: 24 months
- Pot Life
- Approx. 45 minutes
- Base Type
- Suitable For Use On
- Suitable For Use On
- Previously Painted Floors
- Suitable For Use On
- Suitable For Use On
- Swimming Pools
- Application Method
- Product Type
- Product Range
- Colour Family
Be the first to ask a question about this product!
IMPORTANT SHIPPING & DELIVERY INFORMATION
Mapei Mapelastic Turbo is only available with the shipping and delivery timescales listed below - please do not contact our Customer Support Team with enquiries about alternative or earlier shipping and delivery times.
Saturdays and Sundays, as well as Bank Holidays, are not classed as working days.
Orders placed after the cut-off for this product will not be processed for earliest dispatch until 9am the next working day.
All delivery costs below are excluding VAT