PPG NovaGuard 4701 is a two-part glass flake vinylester primer for concrete and steel as a holding primer for Novaguard 4801. Suitable for service temperature >80°C (176°F) when overcoated with NOVAGUARD 4801 dependent on the actual environment. Mixing ratio by volume: base to catalyst 98:2
PPG NovaGuard 4801
PPG NovaGuard 4801 is a two-component, glass-flake reinforced novolac vinyl ester high-performance coating for new or old steel. Its excellent resistance to chemicals at high temperatures and (in)organic acids make it ideal for high temperature immersion, and can be used over the of Novaguard 4701 on concrete.
- 2-part system (Mixing ratio by volume: base to catalyst 98:2)
- Glass flake reinforced novolac vinylester primer
- Overcoating interval of less than 1 hour
PPG NovaGuard 4801 is a two-component, glass-flake reinforced novolac vinyl ester high-performance coating for new or old steel that boasts excellent resistance to chemicals at high temperatures and (in)organic acids, making it a suitable coating for high temperature immersion.
Novaguard 4801 can be used on top of PPG Novaguard 4701 holding primer on concrete.
Top Features & Benefits
- High performance coating for new or old steel
- Excellent resistance to chemicals at high temperatures
- Excellent resistance to (in)organic acids
- Good resistance to a wide range of solvents
- Suitable for high temperature immersion
- Suitable for application on concrete on top of Novaguard 4701
- Overcoating interval of less than 1 hour
- 50 minute pot life [at 20°C (68°F)]
- Two-component, glass flake reinforced novolac vinylester coating
Basic data at 20°C (68°F)
|Data for Mixed Product|
|Mass density||1.2 kg/l (10.0 lb/US gal)|
|Recommended dry film thickness||500 - 1500 µm (20.0 - 60.0 mils)|
|Theoretical spreading rate||1.6 m²/l for 500 µm (64 ft²/US gal for 20.0 mils)|
|0.5 m²/l for 1500 µm (21 ft²/US gal for 60.0 mils)|
|Full Cure||After 4 days|
|Overcoating Interval||1.5 hours|
- A film shrinkage up to 20% can be expected, due to the specific reaction mechanism and depending on conditions
- Frequent temperature cycles may shorten the shelf life
- Refer to tables below for information regarding spreading rate and film thickness, overcoating intervals and curing times
Preparation & Application
Recommended Substrate Conditions & Temperatures
- Steel; blast cleaned to ISO Sa 2½ or SSPC-SP-10, blasting profile 50 – 75 µm (2.0 – 3.0 mils)
- Suitable primer must be dry and free from any contamination
Substrate temperature and application conditions
- Substrate temperature during application and curing should be above 10°C (50°F)
- Substrate temperature during application and curing should be at least 3°C (5°F) above dew point
Instructions For Use
Mixing ratio by volume: base to catalyst 98:2
- The reaction between the base component and catalyst is highly exothermic, deviation from the recommended mixing ratio should not be undertaken.
- Pre-mix base component with a pneumatic air mixer at moderate speeds to homogenize the container
- Add the catalyst while stirring the base
- Mix thoroughly before application
- Never add any solvent
- Never add the catalyst without continuous stirring
- Never add more than the recommended amount of catalyst
- AIRLESS PUMP 45:1 or greater, fit leather or PTFE seals and remove fluid filters, 10 mm diameter (0.375 in) nylon-lined hoses, large-bore gun with 0.6 to 1.5 mm (0.024 to 0.059 in) reverse clean tip
- Typical tip size is 0.75 – 0.85 mm (0.030 – 0.033 in) with reverse clean and 45° fan
- The size of tip and fan pattern will vary with the nature of the work
- Pressure to suit hose lengths and working conditions (circa 200 bar)
- THINNER 50-02
|Spreading rate and film thickness|
|DFT||Theoretical spreading rate|
|500 µm (20.0 mils)||1.6 m²/l (64 ft²/US gal)|
|750 µm (30.0 mils)||1.1 m²/l (43 ft²/US gal)|
|1500 µm (60.0 mils)||0.5 m²/l (21 ft²/US gal)|
|Overcoating interval for DFT up to 1000 µm (40.0 mils)|
|Overcoating with...||Interval||10°C (50°F)||20°C (68°F)||30°C (86°F)||40°C (104°F)|
|Itself||Minimum||5 hours||2.5 hours||1 hour||less than 1 hour|
|Maximum||4 days||48 hours||36 hours||18 hours|
- Surface should be dry and free from any contamination before recoating
- The maximum recoating time will reduce significantly at high temperature or in strong sunlight
- Once the maximum recoating time has been reached, adhesion values attained by an subsequent coat will reduce dramatically
- Styrene cannot be used to reactivate the surface of this product and may impair adhesion
|Curing time for DFT up to 1500 µm (60.0 mils)|
|Substrate temperature||Dry to handle||Full cure|
|10°C (50°F)||24 hours||5 days|
|20°C (68°F)||18 hours||3 days|
|30°C (86°F)||12 hours||48 hours|
|40°C (86°F)||6 hours||24 hours|
- Adequate ventilation must be maintained during application and curing
- 50 minutes at 20°C (68°F)
Note: The pot life will vary substantially with temperature
- Since improper use and handling can be hazardous to health and cause of fire or explosion, safety precautions included with Product Data/Application Instruction and Material Safety Data Sheet must be observed during all storage, handling, use and drying periods
- Although this is a solvent-free paint, care should be taken to avoid inhalation of spray mist, as well as contact between the wet paint and exposed skin or eyes
- The catalyst of this product is supplied in small polythene bottles separately from the pigmented base component
- The catalyst of this product is an organic peroxide which is a highly reactive, combustible and thermally unstable
- It is also a powerful oxidizing agent and will react violently with other organic chemicals
- It is thus recommended to keep in original containers, to hold within the predetermined temperature limits, to prevent contact/contamination with other materials, and to minimize the quantity at the workplace – only have enough present for the job in hand
- The waste of this product should be treated with special care; please contact the manufacturer (PPG) for more details
It is your responsibility to read the Product Data Sheets (available below) before you place an order and prior to application of the product. The content of this website is our best recommendation and is not advice. Coverage rates quoted are approximate, you agree that coverage depends on the condition of the substrate, surface absorption, texture and application method. We ALWAYS recommend a trial area is coated to ensure the product meets your requirements before use.
- Base Type
- Mixing Ratio
- Suitable Substrates
- New or old steel, concrete
- Key Features
- Glass flake reinforced novolac vinylester coating, suitable for high temperature immersion, good resistance to a wide range of solvents
- Touch Dry (at 20°C)
- 24 hours
- Dry to Handle (at 20°C)
- 18 hours
- Dry to Recoat (at 20°C)
- 2.5 hours
- Fully Cured (at 20°C)
- 3 days
- Pot Life (at 20°C)
- 50 minutes
- 1.6 m²/l for 500 µm (64 ft²/US gal for 20.0 mils). 0.5 m²/l for 1500 µm (21 ft²/US gal for 60.0 mils)
- Recommended Thinner/Cleaner
- PPG Thinner 50-02
- Unit Contents
- Compatible Primers
- PPG NovaGuard 4701
- Compatible Topcoats
- Max. Application Temperature
- Min. Application Temperature
- 10°C (50°F)
- 1.2 kg/l (10.0 lb/US gal)
- Solids by Volume
- Heat Resistance (up-to)
- Shelf Life (Once Opened)
- Base/Catalyst: at least 6 months when stored cool and dry
Be the first to ask a question about this product!
A two component novolac epoxy coating is a specially designed tank lining with excellent chemical resistance. It can be used as primer, mid coat and finish coat in atmospheric and immersed environments. Image already added
Sikagard 63 N is a two part epoxy protective coating with high chemical resistance. Sikagard 63N is an abrasion resistant, universal coating material for use on concrete, cementitious mortars and rendering, epoxy mortars (including Sika EpoCem), steel and aluminium designed for normal to highly aggressive chemical environments.
Sherwin-Williams Macropoxy P100, formerly known as Pipegard P100, is a high build 2-pack polyamide cured epoxy zinc phosphate primer/finish. Macropoxy P100 is used as an internal flow coating for pipelines.
Carboline Polyclad 975 H is an advanced two-component epoxy, 100% solids, hybrid epoxy pipeline coating. This product is available as POA. Click here to email us for more information. Top Features Quick dry to touch and QC times Good brush and roll properties Color indicator confirms proper mixing Low temperature cure 40°F (4.4°C)
A cross-linked penetrating metal primer/sealer with excellent wetting properties. It is highly flexible with good chemical and solvent resistance, and accepts a variety of topcoats. Top Features Universal primer and tie-coat Cures down to 35°F (2°C) Low stress, highly flexible film Extremely high solids Contains corrosion inhibitors
International Interline 975 is a two component, solvent free, heavy duty epoxy tank lining for application to steel tank internals to provide corrosion resistance to a range of products including crude oil, white oils and potable water.
PPG NovaGuard 260, a two-component, high build, amine adduct-cured novolac phenolic epoxy tank primer/coating with excellent resistance to alcohols, fats, solvents and various other chemicals. Novaguard 260 also has good abrasion resistance. Top Features Used for hot water and hot oil storage up to 90°C (195°F) Can be used as holding...
Proguard CN-OC is a temperature and chemical high-resistant 2- pack special composite coating containing silanized high- tech-micro and nano-particle reinforcement, based on an ultra-modern hybridized epoxy-novolac-resin base; providing chemical resistance, corrosion and abrasion protection to a wide variety of substrates in extremely aggressive...
PPG PhenGuard 965 is a two-component, high build, amine adduct-cured novolac phenolic epoxy coating that can be applied and cured at temperatures as low as to 5°C (41°F). Offers good application properties, resulting in a smooth surface that is easy to clean. Excellent resistance to a wide range of organic acids, alcohols, solvents and fats...
Jotun Jotamastic SF is a two component polyamine cured epoxy mastic coating that is a surface tolerant, solvent free, high build product. Well suited for early immersion and specially designed for areas where optimum surface preparation is not possible or desired. Provides long lasting protection in environments with high corrosivity.
Carboline Polyclad 777 Slow-Set is a solvent-free aromatic polyurethane, ASTM D16 Type V. A high performance 100% solids structural polyurethane coating designed to provide superior corrosion protection for steel, ductile iron and concrete pipe. This product is available as POA. Click here to email us for more information. Top Features...
PPG NovaGuard 890 is a two-component, solvent-free, amine-cured novolac phenolic epoxy coating that is ideal for use in storage of unleaded gasolines blended up to 100% ethanol (E5 up to E100), biodiesels (EN14214) & crude oil up to 120°C (250°F). Meets the requirements of EI 1541 2.2 (for aviation fuel storage tanks & pipes)...
Jotun Penguard Universal is a two component polyamine cured pure epoxy coating that is a fast drying, all year round, high solids, high build product. Jotun Penguard Universal provides excellent corrosion protection as part of a complete coating system and can be used as primer, mid coat, finish coat or as a single coat system in atmospheric and immersed...
Jotun Balloxy HB Light WG is a 'Wintergrade' version of Jotamastic 90 to aid application in lower temperatures and to provide faster drying and curing times. Jotun Balloxy HB Light WG is a surface tolerant, high solids, high build epoxy mastic coating for water ballast tanks. It is specially designed for areas where optimum surface preparation is not...
Sikalastic 844 XT is a two part, elastic, very fast curing modified polyurea spray applied membrane where exposure to high acidic and alkaline chemical concentrations are present, therefore also suitable for the use in closed structures containing biogenic sulphuric acid. Sikalastic 844 XT can only be spray applied with special two part hot spray equipment.
Sherwin-Williams Fast Clad ER is a solvent-free, epoxy tank lining that offers superior ﬂexibility, excellent edge retention, film forming and high build properties. Fast Clad ER enables ultra fast return to service in as little as 24 hours.