PPG NovaGuard 4701 is a two-part glass flake vinylester primer for concrete and steel as a holding primer for Novaguard 4801. Suitable for service temperature >80°C (176°F) when overcoated with NOVAGUARD 4801 dependent on the actual environment. Mixing ratio by volume: base to catalyst 98:2
PPG NovaGuard 4801
PPG NovaGuard 4801 is a two-component, glass-flake reinforced novolac vinyl ester high-performance coating for new or old steel. Its excellent resistance to chemicals at high temperatures and (in)organic acids make it ideal for high temperature immersion, and can be used over the of Novaguard 4701 on concrete.
- 2-part system (Mixing ratio by volume: base to catalyst 98:2)
- Glass flake reinforced novolac vinylester primer
- Overcoating interval of less than 1 hour
PPG NovaGuard 4801 is a two-component, glass-flake reinforced novolac vinyl ester high-performance coating for new or old steel that boasts excellent resistance to chemicals at high temperatures and (in)organic acids, making it a suitable coating for high temperature immersion.
Novaguard 4801 can be used on top of PPG Novaguard 4701 holding primer on concrete.
Top Features & Benefits
- High performance coating for new or old steel
- Excellent resistance to chemicals at high temperatures
- Excellent resistance to (in)organic acids
- Good resistance to a wide range of solvents
- Suitable for high temperature immersion
- Suitable for application on concrete on top of Novaguard 4701
- Overcoating interval of less than 1 hour
- 50 minute pot life [at 20°C (68°F)]
- Two-component, glass flake reinforced novolac vinylester coating
Basic data at 20°C (68°F)
|Data for Mixed Product|
|Mass density||1.2 kg/l (10.0 lb/US gal)|
|Recommended dry film thickness||500 - 1500 µm (20.0 - 60.0 mils)|
|Theoretical spreading rate||1.6 m²/l for 500 µm (64 ft²/US gal for 20.0 mils)|
|0.5 m²/l for 1500 µm (21 ft²/US gal for 60.0 mils)|
|Full Cure||After 4 days|
|Overcoating Interval||1.5 hours|
- A film shrinkage up to 20% can be expected, due to the specific reaction mechanism and depending on conditions
- Frequent temperature cycles may shorten the shelf life
- Refer to tables below for information regarding spreading rate and film thickness, overcoating intervals and curing times
Preparation & Application
Recommended Substrate Conditions & Temperatures
- Steel; blast cleaned to ISO Sa 2½ or SSPC-SP-10, blasting profile 50 – 75 µm (2.0 – 3.0 mils)
- Suitable primer must be dry and free from any contamination
Substrate temperature and application conditions
- Substrate temperature during application and curing should be above 10°C (50°F)
- Substrate temperature during application and curing should be at least 3°C (5°F) above dew point
Instructions For Use
Mixing ratio by volume: base to catalyst 98:2
- The reaction between the base component and catalyst is highly exothermic, deviation from the recommended mixing ratio should not be undertaken.
- Pre-mix base component with a pneumatic air mixer at moderate speeds to homogenize the container
- Add the catalyst while stirring the base
- Mix thoroughly before application
- Never add any solvent
- Never add the catalyst without continuous stirring
- Never add more than the recommended amount of catalyst
- AIRLESS PUMP 45:1 or greater, fit leather or PTFE seals and remove fluid filters, 10 mm diameter (0.375 in) nylon-lined hoses, large-bore gun with 0.6 to 1.5 mm (0.024 to 0.059 in) reverse clean tip
- Typical tip size is 0.75 – 0.85 mm (0.030 – 0.033 in) with reverse clean and 45° fan
- The size of tip and fan pattern will vary with the nature of the work
- Pressure to suit hose lengths and working conditions (circa 200 bar)
- THINNER 50-02
|Spreading rate and film thickness|
|DFT||Theoretical spreading rate|
|500 µm (20.0 mils)||1.6 m²/l (64 ft²/US gal)|
|750 µm (30.0 mils)||1.1 m²/l (43 ft²/US gal)|
|1500 µm (60.0 mils)||0.5 m²/l (21 ft²/US gal)|
|Overcoating interval for DFT up to 1000 µm (40.0 mils)|
|Overcoating with...||Interval||10°C (50°F)||20°C (68°F)||30°C (86°F)||40°C (104°F)|
|Itself||Minimum||5 hours||2.5 hours||1 hour||less than 1 hour|
|Maximum||4 days||48 hours||36 hours||18 hours|
- Surface should be dry and free from any contamination before recoating
- The maximum recoating time will reduce significantly at high temperature or in strong sunlight
- Once the maximum recoating time has been reached, adhesion values attained by an subsequent coat will reduce dramatically
- Styrene cannot be used to reactivate the surface of this product and may impair adhesion
|Curing time for DFT up to 1500 µm (60.0 mils)|
|Substrate temperature||Dry to handle||Full cure|
|10°C (50°F)||24 hours||5 days|
|20°C (68°F)||18 hours||3 days|
|30°C (86°F)||12 hours||48 hours|
|40°C (86°F)||6 hours||24 hours|
- Adequate ventilation must be maintained during application and curing
- 50 minutes at 20°C (68°F)
Note: The pot life will vary substantially with temperature
- Since improper use and handling can be hazardous to health and cause of fire or explosion, safety precautions included with Product Data/Application Instruction and Material Safety Data Sheet must be observed during all storage, handling, use and drying periods
- Although this is a solvent-free paint, care should be taken to avoid inhalation of spray mist, as well as contact between the wet paint and exposed skin or eyes
- The catalyst of this product is supplied in small polythene bottles separately from the pigmented base component
- The catalyst of this product is an organic peroxide which is a highly reactive, combustible and thermally unstable
- It is also a powerful oxidizing agent and will react violently with other organic chemicals
- It is thus recommended to keep in original containers, to hold within the predetermined temperature limits, to prevent contact/contamination with other materials, and to minimize the quantity at the workplace – only have enough present for the job in hand
- The waste of this product should be treated with special care; please contact the manufacturer (PPG) for more details
It is your responsibility to read the Product Data Sheets (available below) before you place an order and prior to application of the product. The content of this website is our best recommendation and is not advice. Coverage rates quoted are approximate, you agree that coverage depends on the condition of the substrate, surface absorption, texture and application method. We ALWAYS recommend a trial area is coated to ensure the product meets your requirements before use.
- Base Type
- Mixing Ratio
- Suitable Substrates
- New or old steel, concrete
- Key Features
- Glass flake reinforced novolac vinylester coating, suitable for high temperature immersion, good resistance to a wide range of solvents
- Touch Dry (at 20°C)
- 24 hours
- Dry to Handle (at 20°C)
- 18 hours
- Dry to Recoat (at 20°C)
- 2.5 hours
- Fully Cured (at 20°C)
- 3 days
- Pot Life (at 20°C)
- 50 minutes
- 1.6 m²/l for 500 µm (64 ft²/US gal for 20.0 mils). 0.5 m²/l for 1500 µm (21 ft²/US gal for 60.0 mils)
- Recommended Thinner/Cleaner
- PPG Thinner 50-02
- Unit Contents
- Compatible Primers
- PPG NovaGuard 4701
- Compatible Topcoats
- Max. Application Temperature
- Min. Application Temperature
- 10°C (50°F)
- 1.2 kg/l (10.0 lb/US gal)
- Solids by Volume
- Heat Resistance (up-to)
- Shelf Life (Once Opened)
- Base/Catalyst: at least 6 months when stored cool and dry
Be the first to ask a question about this product!
International Interline 984 is a versatile epoxy phenolic tanklining, that is a solvent-free, epoxy phenolic lining system, applied in a single coat, offering chemical resistance in a wide range of applications.
Carboline Polyclad 777 Slow-Set is a solvent-free aromatic polyurethane, ASTM D16 Type V. A high performance 100% solids structural polyurethane coating designed to provide superior corrosion protection for steel, ductile iron and concrete pipe. This product is available as POA. Click here to email us for more information. Top Features...
Proguard Ceramic-Polymer SF/LF is a two pack ceramic composite epoxy coating providing excellent abrasion and corrosion protection to a wide variety of substrates in aggressive environments, including tanks & vessels on ships, tubing and pipelines.
Nova-Plate 325 is an amine cured, glass and ceramic filled tank lining that utilises advanced epoxy novolac technology. It is engineered to protect cargo and steel tank interiors from chemicals stored at high temperatures and high pressures. It provides quick return to service, high film build and can be used in applications where...
PPG SigmaGuard 730 is a two-component, moisture-curing zinc-rich (ethyl) silicate tank coating with excellent solvent and chemical resistance that can withstand substrate temperatures from –90°C (–130°F) up to 400°C (750°F), under normal atmospheric exposure conditions. For use as tank coating or as a system primer in various paint systems...
PPG SigmaGuard 730 is a two-component, high solids polyamine cured phenolic epoxy coating for tanks, with good chemical resistance against a wide range of chemicals that can be used under insulation up to 150°C (300°F). Short curing periods - Good low-temperature curing Easy to clean Touch dry after 2-3 hours - Can be overcoated after 8...
Sherwin-Williams Fast Clad ER is a solvent-free, epoxy tank lining that offers superior ﬂexibility, excellent edge retention, film forming and high build properties. Fast Clad ER enables ultra fast return to service in as little as 24 hours.
Sikagard 62 is a 2-pack solvent-free high build coating material based on epoxy resin with DWI approval and good chemical resistance. Produces an abrasion-resistant coating designed for normal to moderately aggressive chemical environments for use on concrete, stone, cementitious mortars and renderings (not polymer- modified), epoxy cements...
PPG SigmaGuard CSF 650 (also known as Amercoat CSF 650), is a two-component, solvent-free, amine-cured epoxy tank coating for crude oil/ballast and aliphatic petroleum products, with one-coat protection for steel structures, ships and storage tanks with excellent corrosion resistance. Also suitable as a coating system for the storage and...
PPG SigmaGuard 720, a two-component, reinforced high solids tank coating, based upon polyamine adduct cured pure epoxy technology. The coating has recognized corrosion control (Lloyd's Register) and short curing periods, . Tank coating with good chemical resistance against a wide range of chemicals Short curing periods and easy to clean...
Jotun Tankguard Special Ultra is a two component polyamine cured novolac epoxy coating specially designed as a tank coating with excellent chemical resistance. It can be used as a primer, mid coat or finish coat in atmospheric and immersed environments. Suitable for properly prepared carbon steel, galvanised steel and stainless steel substrates and can be...
Sika Permacor 3326 EG H is a low solvent containing 2-pack epoxy coating for steel and concrete. The coating has high physical strength, with good abrasion and impact resistance. Sika Permacor 3326 EG H is a very high solid epoxy coating for steel and concrete with crack bridging capability up to 3mm (laminate system). Features and Benefits...
PPG SigmaGuard 795, a two-component, high-build, amine adduct-cured phenolic epoxy coating for stripe coat application during new building application of PHENGUARD tank coating systems. Used to repair and maintain chemical resistant epoxy amine cured tank linings like SIGMAGUARD 720 and PHENGUARD. Designed for stripe coating and spot repair...
Jotun Tankguard 412 is a two component solvent free polyamine cured epoxy coating that is a general purpose tank lining with good chemical resistance. It can be used as a primer, mid coat or finish coat in atmospheric and immersed environments. Suitable for properly prepared carbon steel, galvanised steel, stainless steel and concrete substrates.
Jotun Tankguard SF is a two component solvent free amine cured novolac epoxy coating that is a specially designed tank lining with very good chemical resistance. It can be used as a primer, mid coat or finish coat in atmospheric and immersed environments. Suitable for properly prepared carbon steel, galvanised steel, stainless steel and concrete substrates.
Sherwin-Williams Macropoxy P300, formerly known is Waterline P300, is a solvent free two-pack epoxy water resistant finish for use on the internal surfaces of potable water pipes and tanks.