SikaBond 5500 S is a solvent based rigid adhesive. For full surface bonding of traditional parquet blocks and engineered wood floors, mosaic parquet, industrial parquet and end grained wood paving on cement, anhydrite, and poured asphalt sub-floors. It can be used over underfloor heating installations. A one part ready to use product suitable for use with all types of wood.
Quick Links - Click To Jump To Section:
Features & Benefits
- One part, ready to use
- Very good spreadability
- Suitable for use with all types of wood
- Especially suited to wood block refurbishment projects where bitumen adhesive residues are present
- Suitable for underfloor heating
- Adhesive can be sanded
- Solvent based
- Floor may be walked on / sanded and finished approximately 48 hours after installation
- Spreads easily, trowel marks stable
- Skinning/laying time of approximately 10-20 mins
The substrate must be clean and dry, homogeneous, even, free from grease, dust and loose particles. Paint, cement laitance and other poorly adhering particles must be removed. Standard construction rules must be observed.
Concrete / cement screed: Must be clean, dry, contaminant free and thoroughly cleaned with industrial vacuum cleaner.
Anhydrite screed / Anhydrite flowable screed: Must be ground and thoroughly cleaned with industrial vacuum cleaner and Primed with Sika Primer MB or SikaBond 5500 S diluted 1 - 1 with Thinner EG.
Underfloor Heating: After thorough preparation and commissioning of the heating system, the entire floor area must be primed using a mixture of 1 part SikaBond 5500 S to 1 part Sika Thinner EG (by Volume). Roller apply and allow to cure.
Unknown substrates: Please contact our Technical Department. SikaBond 5500 S can be used without priming on cement floors, poured asphalt and wooden floor panels providing they are dust free and permanently dry.
SikaBond 5500 S is only suitable for full surface bonding and should be applied to the subfloor NOT the wood elements. SikaBond 5500 S should be applied to the properly prepared substrate directly from the pail and uniformly distributed by notched trowel. Press the wood floor elements firmly into the adhesive so that the underside is fully wetted. The elements can then be joined together using a hammer and an impact block. Many types of wood floors have to be tapped from the top. A distance of 10-15 mm from the wall to the wood floor must be observed in all cases. Avoid getting adhesive on the side of the wood elements.
Fresh, uncured adhesive remaining on the wood floor surface must be removed immediately with a clean cloth and if necessary cleaned with Sika Remover 208. Test wood floor surfaces for compatibility with Sika Remover 208 before use. The laying instructions of the wood floor manufacturer as well as standard construction rules must be observed.
- SikaBond 5500 S is only suitable for experienced applicators.
- If, according to wood floor suppliers or producers deviation from the standards is permissible, temperatures between 5°C and 35°C must be observed for the adhesive.
- Wood floors in non insulated areas such as basements, or other areas without a damp proof membrane, must only be installed after the application of Sikafloor EpoCem sealed with Sika Primer MB to control the moisture. For detailed instructions consult the Product Data Sheets or contact our Technical Department.
- In case of chemically pre-treated types of wood floors (e.g. ammonia, wood stain, timber preservative) and woods with high oil content SikaBond 5500 S is only to be used after a written recommendation following trials from our Technical Department.
- Do Not use on PE, PP, TEFLON, and certain plastizied synthetic materials.
- Some primers can negatively influence the adhesion of SikaBond 5500 S (pre trials recommended).
- Installation of magnesite or on insulating bituminous layers is not recommended.
- The product and its vapours are highly inflammable, ensure adequate air ventilation during application and curing.
- Keep away from flames and sparks and do not smoke around application area.
- When laying bonded wood flooring, always make sure that any wood surface sealer coatings do not come into contact with the adhesive. However if direct contact with the adhesive is unavoidable, then the compatibility of the sealing coats must always be checked and confirmed before use.
- For further information or assistance please contact Sika Technical Department or Rawlins Paints' Technical Support Team on 0113 2455450 (option 2) or send a message to [email protected] for more information.
0.8 – 1.2 kg/m2 depending upon size of notched trowel used and subfloor surface profile.
Floor may be walked on / sanded and finished approximately 48 hours after installation (depending on climatic conditions, absorbency of subfloor and adhesive layer thickness).
Clean all tools and application equipment with Sika Remover 208 or Thinner EG immediately after use. Hardened / cured material can only be mechanically removed.
All technical data stated in this Product Data Sheet are based on laboratory tests. Actual measured data may vary due to circumstances beyond our control.
Health And Safety
Information For information and advice on the safe handling, storage and disposal of chemical products, users shall refer to the most recent Material Safety Data Sheet containing physical, ecological, toxicological and other safety-related data.
Please contact Rawlins Paints' Technical Support Team on 0113 2455450 (option 2) or send a message to [email protected] for more information.
Click to go back to the top of the page