Surface Preparation Kits for Steel
These surface preparation kits for steel have been created to help provide customers with an easily accessible bundle of tools to aid in the preparation of steel surfaces in accordance with ISO 8501-1 (St2/3) and SSPC (SP 2/3).
Please click here for important information about these kits.
SET 1 (Hand Tools)
- 1 x Rust-Oleum Pre-Paint Cleaner
- 1 x Wire Brush
- 1 x Double Sided Abrasive Sponge Pads (3pk) 100 grit
- 1 x 2" Scraper
SET 2 (Power Tools)
- 1 x Rust-Oleum Pre-Paint Cleaner
- 1 x Cup Wire Brush Twin Pack (75mm twist knot & 75mm crimped wire cup brush)
- 2 x 3M Flap Disc, 115mm, P60 Grit
- 1 x Draper 84131 Needle Scaler
**Available for delivery - see Delivery Options below**
These kits have been created to help provide customers with an easily accessible bundle of tools to aid in the preparation of steel surfaces in accordance with ISO 8501-1 (St2/3) and SSPC (SP 2/3). Surface preparation standards are specified in the protective coatings industry every day and some contracts will specify a mechanical and hand preparation as opposed to abrasive blast cleaning. The process is used extensively for previously coated steel, but never on mill scale as mechanical hand preparation will not remove it.
These kits are by no means exhaustive and are only intended to provide a good, basic start, to which other tools/methods may be required additionally to achieve the desired result. A relevant assessment should be carried out by a competent person prior to any works being undertaken to ensure the correct method of preparation is carried out to the correct standards with the correct tools and PPE.
IMPORTANT: No PPE (Personal Protective Equipment) is included in these packs as requirements will differ depending on site conditions, users, extent of works, etc. Gloves, overalls, respirators, ear and eye protection may all be required and more - Ensure that risk assessments and method statements have been developed and understood by the operative. The manufacturer's documentation should detail the safety precautions required in their operating procedures, if in doubt contact them for clarification.
Before beginning, it is also important to consider whether other aspects of your chosen method of preparation will cause a problem; such as whether sparks will be created, unwanted damage to the surface is created, debris created may cause issues with surrounding items, etc.
Various standards and pictorial guides are available for mechanical and hand-prepared surfaces.
SSPC: The Society for Protective Coatings has produced SSPC-VIS 3, Guide and Reference Photographs for Steel Surfaces Prepared by Hand and Power Tool Cleaning.
ISO 8501-1, Preparation of steel substrates before application of paints and related products - Visual assessment of surface cleanliness is also available.
Pack Component Information
Rust-Oleum Pre-Paint Cleaner (Set 1 and Set 2)
Rust-Oleum Pre-Paint Cleaner cleans and degreases surfaces before painting. It is suitable for all types of surfaces and is not flammable or corrosive, and nearly odourless.
- Concentrated formula, can be diluted 1:50
- Removes all organic and inorganic pollution
- Anti-static effect prevents dust and dirt adhesion
- Non-foaming, biodegradable formulation
Wire Brush (Set 1)
A Wire Brush is ideal for preparing a range of substrates and existing painted surfaces prior to painting.
- Mostly used for preparatory work
- For removing rust, scale, old paintwork and pointing
- Made from quality hardened, tempered steel bristles
- Hardened steel scraper attachment for heavy duty scraping
Cup Wire Brush Twin Pack (75mm twist knot & 75mm crimped wire cup brush) (Set 2)
The RS PRO wire brush twin pack contains 1x75mm twist knot and 1x75mm crimped wire cup brush. It is suitable for use on rust, metal and paint.
- Crimped wire for general-purpose applications
- Maximum safe speed is 12,500rpm
- Twist Knot wire for aggressive applications
- For polishing, cleaning and surface preparation applications for both heavy-duty & general cleaning applications
Double Sided Abrasive Sponge Pad (Set 1)
- Foam core coated, with one grade of abrasive
- Suitable for sanding wood, metal and plastic
- Designed for sanding contoured surfaces
- Also suitable for use on flat and uneven surfaces
- Can be used on wet or dry surfaces
Soft Grip Stripping Knife (Set 1)
- Bevelled edge for removing old paint
- Rust resistant stainless steel blade, taper ground for lasting sharpness
- Curved soft grip handle for comfort and extra power
3M Flap Disc, 115mm, P60 Grit (Set 2)
Flap discs are a type of power tool accessory that can be used in conjunction with angle grinders to grind, blend and remove excess material, depending on what the task is that they are being used for.
The 566A is a great disc when durability is required for medium-weight grinding, small weld removal, finishing and surface preparations.
- Run-on a right angle grinder 566A discs are a one-step system for grinding and blending
- Alumina zirconia self-sharpens and provides extended life and more cutting power than aluminium oxide
- Strong, Y-weight polyester-cotton backing offers flexibility and supports fast cut on medium to high pressure grinding and finishing applications
- Quick change disc simplifies disc changes and does not require hand tools
Draper 84131 Needle Scaler (Set 2)
Pistol grip needle scaler perfectly designed for cleaning heavy paint and rust scale from metal surfaces. Manufactured from lightweight aluminium housing attached to an ergonomic soft-grip handle, which provides comfort even when used for prolonged periods. Fitted with 19 needles for precision clearing. Attached with a 1/4" BSP airline connector which connects with the 360° rotating air inlet, helping prevent air-lines from kinking when in use. The ergonomic design and lightweight housing assist in the prevention of the cold-sink effect.
- Blows per minute - 4,500bpm
- Stroke length - 24mm
- Needle size - 3mm x 180mm
- Operating air pressure - 90psi (6.2bar)
- Average air consumption - 4cfm (113L/min)
- Vibration level - 9.4m/s2
- Min. hose size - 3/8" (10mm)
- Air inlet - 1/4" BSP
- Weight - 1.95kg
Be the first to ask a question about this product!