Designed to prevent the spread of fire and smoke through joints and openings in fire rated walls and floors including around building service penetrations. Classified for fire sealing all types of constructions such as drywalls, masonry walls, concrete walls, concrete & composite floors For fire stopping of service penetrations in...
Protecta FR Board
Protecta FR Board, designed to prevent the spread of fire & smoke through openings in fire rated walls & floors with multiple installed building services. Permanently flexible, it will maintain the acoustic design performance in fire rated walls & floors, accommodating movements during fire & smaller movements in the construction it has been fitted within.
- Classified for all types of constructions with or without building service penetrations - resists UV, humidity & frost once fully cured
- Simple & very quick to install - easy to retrofit additional building services after installation
- Suitable for most surfaces, including concrete, bricks, masonry, steel, wood, gypsum, glass, plastic & most non-porous surfaces
- Use in unlimited lengths in walls with heights up to 1200 mm & in floors with widths up to 800 mm
- Install in gypsum walls with or without framing around the opening
- Upgraded EC Certificate - Penetration Seal Classified for use in flexible, timber & solid walls and solid & timber floors
- Comprhensive upgrades now included for 2021 - see full list further below
Protecta FR Board, part of the Protecta Firestopping range, is designed to prevent the spread of fire and smoke through openings in fire rated walls and floors where openings are formed to allow the installation of multiple building services. It will also maintain the acoustic design performance in fire rated walls and floors, accommodating movements during fire and smaller movements in the construction it has been fitted within.
Easy to retrofit additional building services after installation, these anti-fire boards are permanently flexible and suitable for most surfaces, including concrete, bricks, masonry, steel, wood, gypsum, glass, plastic and most non-porous surfaces. It can be used in unlimited lengths in walls with heights up to 1200mm and in floors with widths up to 800mm.
FR Board consists of a high density stone wool core, over-coated with Protecta FR Coating. The top coating provides additional protection by significantly reducing the permeability of the stone wool core and prevents the passage of hot gases, thus reducing the temperature rise on the unexposed side and reducing heat conduction through the building services.
Protecta FR Board is available with top coating on one or two sides (see Ordering References below), selected on the basis of installation considerations and fire resistance. On site, Protecta FR Board must be used together with Protecta FR Acrylic for sealing around building services and the surrounding construction.
Upgraded EC Certificate - Penetration Seal Classified for use in flexible, timber & solid walls and solid & timber floors
Now includes comphehensive upgrades, including:
- Comprehensive approvals within 75mm thick drywalls and rigid walls to EI 60
- Steel pipes insulated with phenolic foams in drywalls, timber- and rigid walls
- Copper- and steel pipes are now approved with penetrating glass-wool insulation
- Bundles with plastic pipes and conduits in drywalls, timber- and rigid walls
- Bundles with plastic pipes are added in rigid walls to EI 240
- Approvals for PP pipes now includes PP-MV, PP-H, PP-R and similar, and PE pipes includes PE-LD, PE-MD, PE-HD, PE-X and similar
- Uponor Decibel composite pipe approvals
- BluePower composite pipes with additional sizes up to Ø 160mm
- Alupex pipes with elastomeric and PE foam insulations in framed apertures
- Large plastic pipes in all walls has now improved classifications and increased scope of sizes and pipe wall thicknesses
- Technical drawings has been improved throughout
- The installation instructions has additional information added
Features & Benefits
- Prevents the spread of fire and smoke
- Classified for all types of constructions with or without building service penetrations
- Simple and very quick to install
- Easy to retrofit additional building services after installation
- Permanently flexible - will accommodate movements during fire and smaller movements in the construction it has been fitted within
- Suitable for most surfaces, including concrete, bricks, masonry, steel, wood, gypsum, glass, plastic and most non-porous surfaces
- Upgraded EC Certificate - Penetration Seal Classified for use in flexible, timber & solid walls and solid & timber floors
- May be used in unlimited lengths in walls with heights up to 1200 mm and in floors with widths up to 800 mm.
- May be installed in gypsum walls with or without framing around the opening
- Halogen free with added fungicides
- Once fully cured, the board resists UV, humidity and frost
- Protecta FR Board can be supplied with a smooth surface
- Precautions are required to be taken to prevent a person stepping onto a blank horizontal penetration seal
|P062||Protecta FR Board||50 x 600 x 1200mm 1 Sided (Smooth)||White Surface (Green Core)|
|P066||60 x 600 x 1200mm 2 Sided (Smooth)|
|A048||30 x 600 x 1200mm 1 Sided (Ribbed)|
|A007||50 x 600 x 1200mm 1 Sided (Ribbed)|
|A006||50 x 600 x 1200mm 2 Sided (Ribbed)|
|A008||60 x 600 x 1200mm 2 Sided (Ribbed)|
|Condition||Ready for use, pre-coated boards|
|Density||Board: 160 kg/m³ (150 – 170 kg/m³)|
|Coating: 1.3 – 1.4 kg/ltr|
|Durability||Y 1 - Intended for use at temperatures below 0°C with exposure to UV and humidity but no exposure to rain. Includes lower classes Y 2 , Z 1 and Z 2 .|
|Non-sticky||Max. 75 minutes (sealant)|
|Film forming||Max. 25 minutes (sealant)|
|Totally hardened||3 to 5 days depending on thickness and temperature|
|Thermal conduct.||0.038 W/mK|
|Storage||May be stored for a long period of time. To be stored in temperatures between 5°C and 30°C|
|Compatibility||Suitable for use with most materials, but should not be used in direct contact with bituminous materials|
|Limitations||If the boards are to be used in permanently humid areas, Protecta FR Coating should be applied over the sealant|
|Temperature range||-30°C to +80°C (when hardened)|
|Installation temp.||+5°C to +50°C|
|Colour||White surface, green core|
Refer to the Application Guide for illustrations and more detailed drawings for the following fittings:
- Cables and trays in drywalls, masonry or concrete walls (page 2)
- Steel pipes in drywalls, masonry or concrete walls (pages 2-4)
- Copper pipes in drywalls, masonry or concrete walls (pages 4-5)
- Alupex pipes in drywalls, masonry or concrete walls (pages 5-6)
- Plastic pipes in drywalls, masonry or concrete walls (pages 6-7)
- Composite pipes in drywalls, masonry or concrete walls (pages 8-9)
- Conduits in drywalls, masonry or concrete walls (page 10)
- Cables and cable trays in masonry or concrete walls (pages 10-12)
- Steel pipes in masonry or concrete walls (pages 12-14)
- Copper pipes in masonry or concrete walls (page 14)
- Alupex pipes in masonry or concrete walls (page 15)
- Plastic pipes in masonry or concrete walls (page 15)
- Cables and cable trays in floors (page 16)
- Steel pipes in floors (pages 16-18)
- Copper pipes in floors (pages 18-19)
- Alupex pipes in floors (pages 19-20)
- Plastic pipes in floors (page 20)
Please refer to Protecta FR Damper for guidance on fire sealing ventilation ducts.
Minimum separations and limitations: Services can be sealed as specified in the detailed drawings. An aperture can include several services, and they may also be different. The minimum permitted separation between adjacent seals/apertures is 200mm. Services should be a minimum of 25mm from seal edges. Services within the system Protecta ® FR Board seal do not require a minimum separation, except pipes where combustible pipe insulation penetrates the seal and plastic pipe penetrations which should be a minimum of 30 mm from other services in the aperture. The total amount of cross sections of services (including insulation) should not exceed 60% of the penetration area.
Supporting constructions: Flexible walls must have a minimum thickness of 75 mm and comprise steel studs or timber studs*** lined on both faces with minimum 1 layer of 12.5 mm thick boards. Rigid walls must have a minimum thickness of 75 mm and comprise concrete, aerated concrete or masonry, with a minimum density of 650 kg/m³. Rigid floors must have a minimum thickness of 150 mm and comprise aerated concrete or concrete with a minimum density of 650 kg/m³. The supporting construction must be classified in accordance with EN 13501-2 for the required fire resistance period.
***Timber studs: no part of the penetration seal may be closer than 100 mm to a stud, and minimum 100 mm of insulation of class A1 or A2 according to EN 13501-1 must be provided within the cavity between the penetration seal and the stud.
- Before installing Protecta FR Board ensure that the surface of all service penetrations and surrounding construction is free from all loose contaminants, dust and grease.
- Protecta FR Coating and Protecta FR Acrylic are water based, so in cases where corrosion protection is a problem, some metals may require a barrier between the seal and the surface prior to this installation.
- Select the type and number of boards to meet the required fire classification using the drawings on pages 2-20 (see application guide)
- When fitting boards into drywalls the coated side of the board should be flush with the surface of the wall on both sides. In seals wider than 2400mm, uninterrupted separating studs will be required at 2400mm centers or less.
- When fitting double layer 60mm thick boards in masonry or concrete constructions, the boards should be flush with the surface of the construction on both sides to maximize the fire resistance. If this is not possible, there should be an air gap of at least 30mm between the boards.
- When fitting single layer boards in masonry or concrete constructions, the board can be positioned to either side of the construction or anywhere in between.
- When installing Protecta FR Board in hollow floor slabs or boards, fire seals specified as single layer boards should be installed from the soffit side of the floor assuming there is sufficient thickness of concrete below the void to follow the installation guide. Where this is not the case, tubular voids should be filled with stone wool normally the same thickness as the depth of the floor slab. Alternatively, simply fire seal on both sides.
- Cut the required board(s) to suit the aperture dimensions and type and size of service penetration(s). All exposed and cut edges of the board can be sealed with Protecta FR Coating or Protecta FR Acrylic prior to fitting which will act as an adhesive and ensure a smoke tight seal.
- All joints, gaps or imperfections in the installed seal must be filled with Protecta FR Acrylic on both sides.
- Protecta FR Board can be over-painted with most emulsion or alkyd (gloss) paints.
This Installation Instruction is based on the product’s European Technical Assessment issued in accordance with regulation (EU) No 305/2011 on the basis of EAD 350454-00-1104, September 2017.
|Single 50 or 60mm FR Board 2-S as linear seal||Rw 55 dB|
|Single 50 or 60mm FR Board 2-S as large seal||Rw 29 dB|
|Double 50 or 60mm FR Board 1-S or 2-S as large seal||Rw 52 dB|
|50 or 60mm FR Board 1-S or 2-S with 50mm cavity, large sea||Rw 53 dB|
Protecta FR Board has been tested at BM Trada (UKAS accredited); according to EN ISO 10140-2:2010.
Resistance to Fire
|Flexible walls comprise gypsum, masonry, aerated concrete or concrete||Unlimited width by 1200mm high blank seal with double 50mm Protecta FR Board 1-S||EI 120 (E 120)|
|Rigid walls comprise masonry, aerated concrete or concrete, within walls or between the head of walls and the soffit of floor slabs||Unlimited width by 1200mm high blank seal with single 60mm Protecta FR Board 2-S||EI 90 (E 240)|
|Unlimited width by 1200mm high blank seal with double 60mm Protecta FR Board 2-S||EI 180 (E 240)|
|Up to 1200 mm by 1200 mm blank seal with double 60mm Protecta FR Board 2-S||EI 240 (E 240)|
|Rigid floors comprise aerated concrete or concrete within floors or between floors and walls||Up to 1200 mm by 600 mm blank seal with single 60mm Protecta FR Board 2-S||EI 120 (E 240)|
|Up to 1200 mm by 600 mm blank seal with double 60mm Protecta FR Board 2-S||EI 180 (E 240)|
|Up to 2400 mm by 1200 mm blank seal with single 60mm Protecta FR Board 2-S (see also below)||EI 90 (E 120)|
|Unlimited length by 120mm wide linear seal with single 60mm Protecta FR Board 2-S||EI 120 (E 240)|
NB. Please read the Installation Instructions before usage.
Additional Aperture Sizes in Floors
Under EN 1366-3 rules, results from tests in floors with a penetration seal length of minimum 1m apply to any length as long as perimeter length to seal area ratio is not smaller than that of the test specimen. The following aperture sizes are therefore allowed where 2400 x 1200 mm is described in this data sheet and in the installation instructions.
|Maximum Aperture Sizes within Floors or between Floors and Walls|
|1200 mm width x 2400 mm length (tested)|
|1100 mm width x 2900 mm length|
|1000 mm width x 4000 mm length|
|900 mm width x 7000 mm length|
|≤ 800 mm width x ∞ (infinite) length|
Emission Data (indoor air quality)
|Compound||Emission rate after 4 weeks|
|n.d. means not detected|
Protecta FR Board complies with the requirements of BREEAM according to the M1 Protocol for Chemical and Sensory Testing of Building Materials as published by RTS version 15.12.2004 which is the best possible environmental and indoor hygiene health protection mark for coatings. Tested by Eurofins Product Testing, report number 392-2014-00000407B.
Pipe End Configurations
When testing pipes, one can choose not to cap (or close) the pipe, or cap the pipe inside the furnace, or outside the furnace, or on both sides. The configuration chosen depends on the intended application of the pipe and/or the installation environment.
The code defining if a pipe is capped is stated after the fire classification. For instance EI 60 C/U which means the pipe was capped inside the furnace, and uncapped outside the furnace. The test configuration defines the approvals possible.
Our engineering judgment based on EN 1366-3:2009 are:
|Intended use of pipe||Pipe end condition (4)|
|Rainwater pipe, plastic||At drainage||U/U (1)|
|Not at drainage||C/C (2)|
|Drainage or sewage pipe, plastic||Ventilated drain||U/U (1)|
|Unventilated drain||U/C (1)|
|Drain w/water trap||U/C (1)|
|Not at drainage||C/C (2)|
|Pipe in closed circuit (water, gas, air, electricity etc.)||C/C (2) (3)|
|Flue gas recovery system pipe, plastic||U/C (1)|
|Pipe with open ends and ≥ 50cm length on both sides, plastic||U/U (2)|
|Pipe supported by suspension system, metal||Fire rated support||C/U (1)|
|Non fire rated||U/C (1)|
|Waste disposal shaft pipe, metal||U/C (1)|
- Stated in EN 1366-3:2009
- Polyseam’s judgment based on tests
- Metal pipes should have fire rated support
- U/U classified fire seals cover C/U, U/C and C/C. C/U classified fire seals cover U/C and C/C. U/C classified fire seals cover C/C
IMPORTANT FIRE PRODUCTS NOTICE: The information displayed on this website should be used as a guide ONLY and our Technical Department should be contacted to obtain a tailored specification and any advice necessary before you place an order for fire protection products. Fire protection products are non-returnable except in accordance with Condition 8 of the Terms and Conditions . We will not be held liable for any resulting damage to property, human life or monetary costs incurred due to the incorrect specification you have prepared or use of fire protection products caused by your negligence, including your failure to have contacted us to obtain the relevant advice/specification.
Be the first to ask a question about this product!
IMPORTANT SHIPPING & DELIVERY INFORMATION
Protecta FR Board is only available with the shipping and delivery timescales listed below - please do not contact our Customer Support Team with enquiries about alternative or earlier shipping and delivery times.
Saturdays and Sundays, as well as Bank Holidays, are not classed as working days.
Orders placed after the cut-off for this product will not be processed for earliest dispatch until 9am the next working day.
All delivery costs below are excluding VAT
Protecta FR Coating is an ablative sealant coating applied by sprayer directly on to mineral fibres to enhance, seal & protect from fire by resisting flame spread, fire penetration & passage of hot gasses. Coated mineral fibres help prevent the spread of fire & smoke through openings in fire rated walls & floors, suitable for...