Thermoguard Timbercoat is a durable fire protection paint for interior and exterior timber surfaces:
- Meets new Fire Regulations standard:
- BS EN Class B s1 d0, BS Class 1
- Class O Surface Spread of Flame
- Can also achieve 30 & 60 minutes Fire Resistance in certain instances
- Expands to create a barrier, insulating wood from heat and oxygen
- Touch Dry: 4 hours / Overcoat: 6 hours
- Certificate of Supply available on request
- 4000+ colours available from RAL, BS & NCS
- Please note that colours chosen in this product will be produced as an `undercoat shade` ready for overcoating with Thermoguard Smoke & Flame Retardant Dualcoat in the same colour. The same colour should be chosen in both basecoat and topcoat for best results.
Product customisationDon't forget to save your customization to be able to add to cart
Fire Protection and Decoration of Wood in Buildings
Thermoguard Timbercoat is a durable, wear, weather and wash resistant fire protection paint for decorative interior and exterior timber surfaces. Thermoguard Timbercoat meets new Fire Regulations standard BS EN Class B s1 d0 and complies with British Standard Class 1 and Class O Surface Spread of Flame. Thermoguard Timbercoat can also achieve 30 & 60 minutes Fire Resistance in certain instances, see Thermoguard Timbercoat 30 & 60 Minute System.
Intumescent and Water Vapour Action
When exposed to fire:-
- Smoke & Flame Retardant Dualcoat releases a vapour to suppress toxic gasses & prevent flamespread.
- Thermoguard Timbercoat expands to create a barrier, insulating wood from heat and oxygen to prevent wood burning & fire penetration
Finish, Colours, Spread Rate and Pack Sizes
- Smoke & Flame Retardant Dualcoat is available in Matt or Eggshell finish in White, BS 4800, BS 381C, RAL and NCS colours (not metallic or fluorescent shades)
- Timbercoat is available in White as standard but can also be tinted to BS 4800, BS 381C, RAL and NCS undercoat shades
- Timbercoat and Smoke & Flame Retardant Dualcoat are sold in 20m² and 80m² cans
Specification & Application
Prepare & apply according to manufacturer’s instructions
- 1 coat of Thermoguard Timbercoat
- 1 coat* of Thermoguard Smoke & Flame Retardant Dualcoat
*Apply 2 coats of Thermoguard Smoke & Flame Retardant Dualcoat for external or damp areas. 2 coats may also be required for strong/dark colours - Thermoguard Timbercoat will be provided in a suitable undercoat shade to aid topcoat opacity unless instructed otherwise.
For 30 & 60 minute protection please see Thermoguard Timbercoat 30 & 60 Minute System.
For fire protection to doors, see Fire Door Upgrade Kits
Please note: Timber must be clean and thoroughly dry prior to application (maximum 18% moisture content). Any gaps should be sealed with Thermoguard Intumescent Mastic. Fire should be prevented from accessing unprotected wood surfaces and for external applications it is recommended wood has been sealed on the reverse face to stop water ingress.
NOT suitable for the topside of floor surfaces that will be trafficked/walked on.
Spray equipment suggestions for Thermoguard Timbercoat and Thermoguard Smoke & Flame Retardant Dualcoat;
- Pressure Pot & Gun conventional unit with small compressor
- Ensure all traces of solvent flushed out
- Thin 5 > 10% with water to spray viscosity
- Adjust fluid flow & air flow as normal for acrylic emulsion paint
- Airless Graco 1500, 3500 or equivalent
- 3/8” line, 30 mesh filter on machine, not filter in gun
- 521 or 523, broad areas 621 or 623 tip
Ensure coverage is applied as per can - i.e. 20m² can covers 20m², 80m² can covers 80m², etc.
Application to OSB/Sterling Board
This is a board made of chips of wood glued together to form a hard non-decorative board. If it needs fire coating, Thermoguard Fire Varnish or Timbercoat System can be applied to it to acheive BS Class 1/0 and EN Class B only. However we first recommend a test is carried out by applying a small amount of the proposed coating to the board to check for "cessing" / "cissing" (where coating gathers together in lumps and may leaving bare patches between). If this occurs the board should be degreased/cleaned and allowed to dry before testing again - if this still does not provide a satisfactory application please contact our Technical Team for further advice on 0113 2455450 (option 2) or send a message to [email protected]linspaints.com.
UKAS Fire Test Standards
- BS EN Class B s1 d0
- BS Class 1 and Class 0
Project Fire Certification
We issue a Certificate of Supply on request for projects for insurance, Fire and Building Control Authority and Client Records.
- Surfaces should be free of contamination, sound, clean and dry.
- Thoroughly abrade knotting, gloss, hard or smooth paints. Check adhesion of any existing coatings.
- Unknown coatings or old fire coatings – contact our Technical Department on 0113 2455450.
- Apply to dry wood in dry conditions.
- Max. timber moisture content 18%.
- Max. relative humidity 70%.
- Min. temp 5°C and 2°C above dewpoint.
- Protect from rain until 1st coat of Thermoguard Smoke & Flame Retardant Dualcoat is dry.
- Touch Dry: 4 hours / Overcoat: 6 hours
- Ensure fully hard dry before next coat, only apply to dry timber in good drying conditions.
NEW Fire Regulations and Tests Explained
- The new fire standard BS EN test lasts 20 minutes with airflow replaces the old BS 476 tests which lasted 10 minutes and restricted airflow.
- The new standard for flamespread and heat release Class B replaces Class O.
The new BS EN tests also monitor -
- Smoke & Gas “s” – s1 + s2 are none or very low & compliant levels, s3 moderate , s4 high smoke.
- Flaming Droplets or Airborne particulates – dO is none, d1 some, d2 + d3 moderate > high levels.
Durable & Eco Friendly
Thermoguard Timbercoat & Smoke & Flame Retardant Dualcoat are water based, user and environment friendly.
Products are manufactured under ISO 9001.
IMPORTANT FIRE PRODUCTS NOTICE: The information displayed on this website should be used as a guide ONLY and our Technical Department should be contacted to obtain a tailored specification and any advice necessary before you place an order for fire protection products. Fire protection products are non-returnable except in accordance with Condition 8 of the Terms and Conditions. We will not be held liable for any resulting damage to property, human life or monetary costs incurred due to the incorrect specification you have prepared or use of fire protection products caused by your negligence, including your failure to have contacted us to obtain the relevant advice/specification.
- Application Method
- Brush, roller, spray
- Supplied in pre-measured packs to apply 1 coat to 20m² or 80m²
- Touch Dry
- 4 hours
- Dry to Recoat
- 6 hours
|Jack miller on 2020-03-02 22:24:19|| |
Hi Does this need a special primer or top coat? Or is it a one coat system?
This is one part of a two part system and does require the appropriate topcoat. Please see Thermoguard Timbercoat BS Class 1/0 & EN Class B System or Thermoguard Timbercoat 30 & 60 Minute System.
|Sally on 2018-07-01 12:41:11|| |
Can Themaguard paints be over painted with Farrow And Ball or other speciality paint?
Ideally Thermoguard want the topcoat of their system to remain the final finish as they can be produced in a wide range of finishes and colours (including colour matches). However, in certain instances if required Thermoguard do allow their systems to be over painted with a conventional decorative topcoat over their FULL system. Thermoguard would want their complete system applying, including their recommended topcoat in the nearest colour available and then (with their approval on your specific project) a like for like conventional topcoat can be applied - i.e. if you have used Thermoguard Smoke & Flame Retardant Dualcoat Eggshell as your finish then you use an acrylic eggshell as a finish in the conventional decorative topcoat. Prior approval must be sought for this from our Technical Department before proceeding.
|Karen on 2018-05-01 06:30:34|| |
Can this product be used as a topcoat over pre painted pressurised decking already painted with sadolin decking paint
No, Thermoguard Timbercoat is cannot be used on floor surfaces which will receive traffic.
|Alan Smith on 2018-02-24 10:54:09|| |
Can Thermoguard be applied over Dulux Weathershield paint If so are there any special precautions required
Thermoguard Timbercoat can be applied over existing coatings in instances where surfaces are free of contamination, sound, clean and dry. Adhesion of the existing coating has been checked and found to be adequate and the coating is not unknown or another fire coating. Thoroughly abrade knotting, gloss, hard or smooth paints to provide a key before application. If in doubt, please contact our Technical Department before use.
|phill clarke on 2018-02-04 17:41:05|| |
can it be used on mdf
Yes, MDF has a smooth and a coarse face, if coating the smooth face thoroughly abrade to provide a suitable key before application.
|Brian on 2015-05-28 18:32:32|| |
Using Thermoguard Timbercoat (3 coats plus colour top coat) how long between coats ? Spec says touch dry 4 hrs but not for between coats.
Touch dry time is 4 hours, overcoat time is 6 hours. Based on good drying conditions at 20°C.
General Painting Application Kit from Rawlins Paints provides the basics for any painting project. Whether it is a one off job, or you just want to make sure the right application tools get to site. Provides an economical way of making sure you will have what you need Ideal for interior and exterior paint projects Click to jump down to...
Thermoguard Timbercoat 60 Minute System is a coloured intumescent paint system for interior and exterior timber surfaces. Each pack contains the correct amount of basecoat (Timbercoat) and topcoat (Safewood Anti-Viral Smoke & Flame Retardant Topcoat) to ensure protection is achieved inline with the manufacturers recommendations to the...
Thermoguard Timbercoat Door Upgrade System is an intumescent paint system to upgrade solid doors to 30min Fire Resistance and 30min Fire Doors to 60min: Available as a convenient pack containing the required basecoat and topcoat to protect 2 doors in a white or coloured Eggshell or Gloss finish Thermoguard UK will issue a Fire Certificate...