Bollom Brosteel Ultra 60 - 30min System for Universal Beams & Columns is a pack that provides sufficient intumescent basecoat (Bollom Brosteel Ultra 60) and coloured topcoat (Bollom Flameguard Ultra Vinyl Matt, Bollom Flameguard Ultra Acrylic Eggshell) to protect suitably primed, standard ‘ɪ’ shape structural steel beams and columns in internal environments to 30 minute fire resistance.
Brosteel Ultra 60 is a thin-film waterborne intumescent coating designed to provide 30 and 60 minutes fire resistance on standard structural steel members in internal environments. Available in 2.5, 5 and 10 litre containers. Brosteel Ultra 60 is white, with a creamy consistency.
Brosteel Ultra 60 is designed to take the guesswork out of intumescent specification, the simplified formulation provides 30 minutes fire protection in only one coat - 60 minutes can be achieved in two coats.*
*Subject to the required film thickness being achieved.
A range of Bollom Flameguard Ultra finishes are available for decoration and protection against moisture. Bollom Flameguard Ultra finishes are available in a wide selection of colours in Matt, Eggshell or Gloss finishes in 2.5 and 5 litre containers. Both Flameguard Ultra Finishes and Brosteel Ultra 60 are specialist products that are easy to apply by conventional methods. All cans come complete with full instructions and coverage rates.
Each pack contains:
Quick Links - Click To Jump To Section:
Features & Benefits
- Achieves 1/2 hour (30 mins) fire resistance on structural steel
- Fully fire tested - BS476 Part 21 : 1987
- 2 coat system*
- Available in a wide range of colours in Matt and Eggshell finishes - gloss also available
- Certificates of Conformance and Installation supplied with every purchase (see details below)
- Can be applied by brush, roller or airless spray
- Suitable for C1 and C2 environments
- Specification and application details included on container label
- Available in 5.75m², 11.5m², 17.25m² and 23m² packs
Steelwork to be coated with Brosteel Ultra 60 must be primed with an Anti-corrosion Primer suited to the intended environment of the building and applied to the Manufacturer’s Specification with the exceptions that the Dry Film Thickness does not exceed 100 microns and that Thermoplastic, Bitumen or Chlorinated Rubber coatings are not used. If the steel has been galvanised or coated with a zinc-rich primer a suitable tie-coat should be applied. Consult Technical Support for guidance.
If your steel is bare, we can suggest after cleaning/preparation mild steel can be primed with Rust-Oleum 3369/3380 CombiPrimer Anti-Corrosion. Galvanised steel should be thoroughly degreased to remove oils and must be completely dry, clean and free from any surface contamination prior to priming with Zinsser Bulls Eye 1-2-3.
To suitably primed steel, apply 1 coat of Bollom Brosteel Ultra 60 at 2.3m² per litre (410 microns WFT / 280 microns DFT), allow to dry (minimum 16 hours at 20°C). Then apply 1 coat of Bollom Flameguard Ultra Vinyl Matt at 12m² per litre, Bollom Flameguard Ultra Acrylic Eggshell at 12m² per litre or Bollom Flameguard Ultra Gloss at 14m² per litre in the colour of your choice.
*1 coat of any of the Bollom Flameguard Ultra Finishes is normally sufficient but for dark contrasting colours 2 coats may be required.
The following instructions are for on-site application only. For offsite application, refer to the Technical Department.
- The primer is compatible with Brosteel Ultra 60 and has been applied correctly.
- The overcoating period for the primer has not been exceeded.
- The correct primer is used for galvanised steel.
- All damage to the primer has been repaired & re-primed.
- Site and weather conditions are within specification.
- Brosteel Ultra 60 is stored correctly.
- Surface is clean, dry and free from contamination.
- Correct spray equipment is available, if appropriate.
- Application instructions have been read prior to commencement of work.
- Ensure different basecoats are not applied on the same section of steel.
- Equipment should be clean and free from contaminants or dried material.
- Wet film gauges are available for use.
This Brosteel Ultra 60 system should only be applied to dry, protected, interior structural steel, where the surface and ambient temperature is 5°C or above, and must be maintained during the application and drying periods. The relative humidity should be below 80% throughout the application and drying periods.
Please note: These packs are NOT suitable for hollow sections or 60min protection. If you have hollow sections to protect or require 60min protection please see our other packs - Bollom Brosteel Ultra 60 - 60min System for Universal Beams & Columns, Bollom Brosteel Ultra 60 - 30min System for Hollow Sections, Bollom Brosteel Ultra 60 - 60min System for Hollow Sections.
Brosteel Ultra 60 is suitable for all types of structural steel, subject to the following minimum steel thicknesses:
||Flange thickness 7.6mm
||Flange thickness 6.8mm
Loadings based on steel section factor (Hp/A) of 300m-¹ for Universal Beams & Universal Columns - Loadings based on a critical temperature of 620˚C for horizontal ɪ-section beams supporting a concrete slab, 550˚C for all other ɪ-sections.
Please download and read the product data sheets (available above under the 'DATA SHEETS' tab above) before use.
If you are in any doubt with any element of these products or packs please contact our Technical Department on 0113 2455450 (option 2) or send a message to [email protected].
To obtain the completed certificates for a project customers should email [email protected] with the following details:
- Proof of purchase
- The contractors/applicators name and contact details (tel. no, email, address)
- Batch number(s) of product(s) used
- Site address
IMPORTANT FIRE PRODUCTS NOTICE: The information displayed on this website should be used as a guide ONLY and our Technical Department should be contacted to obtain a tailored specification and any advice necessary before you place an order for fire protection products. Fire protection products are non-returnable except in accordance with Condition 8 of the Terms and Conditions and should be applied only by an individual with the necessary expertise and experience. We will not be held liable for any resulting damage to property, human life or monetary costs incurred due to the incorrect specification you have prepared or use of fire protection products caused by your negligence, including your failure to have contacted us to obtain the relevant advice/specification.